Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ccrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
anyone tow with a durango or dakota(quad cab) Looking at getting one but they seem a little small to tow a v drive around. Any help would be great
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
I'm sure they will do it. You would just have to make sure your vehicle is rated for the trailer and boat combined.

If a small sized pickup is all you can afford, then that's what you should get. But you wont be setting any land speed records going up the slightest of grades. And I'm sure you would have to pay attention to ramp grades. Having a small sized pick up would restrict how steep of a launch ramp you were willing to test.

I'm not sure Dodge vs. Toyota vs. etc. is a big deal. Its about your size of engine AND BRAKES!!!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
I would also guess the later model Durango would be better equipped for it as well. I believe it has a bigger chassis than the Dakota and is available with the Hemi.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-03-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
How much does the vehicle weigh?
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
what year dakota/durango you looking at? if its a firt generation 98-03 stay as far away from them as you can. I own a 2000 with the 4.7l and it is the biggest piece of crap ive ever owned, they have tons of inherent problems just getting from point a to point b let alone having a boat behind them. Google consumer affairs on them and youll see exactly what im talking about. heres a little taste of what can go wrong , ive owned mine for two years and of those two years its been in the shop 10 months, ive replaced two radiators, ball joints, 4wd linkage, two power window motors , my IAC and TPS , and this thing only has 101,000 miles on it. Of all the people ive talked to my problems are on the minor side they are known to have catastrophic oil pump failures , bad roblems with engine sludge building up , ball joints failing and the tire and assembly coming completely off etc. my advice to anyone would be to stay away from these trucks!!!!! But dont take my word for it

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_dur_trans.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_durango.html
Old     (nutjob)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-03-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
The newer quad cab Dakotas, when properly equipped (V8 with HD tow pkg), are rated for 7050lbs. I regularly tow ~4000 with mine (06 Quad V8 4x4 with HD tow) and I don't have any problems. As for affordability, when equipped to tow the heavy weight, you will pay just as much as a full sized truck. I know when I bought mine, I could have gotten a similarly equipped Ram for about the same price (I may of had to give up the leather though). I went with the Dakota over a full sized because it fit in my garage better and I didn't really need a 'big' truck. Sure, the bed is smaller than a full sized, but I can still fit what I need in there.

The 08 and newer have about 70 more hp out of the same block... so I would assume they handle the load even better.

I get decent mileage... If I stay out of the throttle I get 18-20 with mostly highway. It drops to 16-18 with a lot of stop and go.

Towing 200 miles one way... I get 14-16 if I watch the cruise control in the hills (accelerate early so the cruise doesn't wait and then floor it causing a crazy downshift).
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
I personally have a Dodge Durango (2007) and love it. Granted I only have ~25,000 miles so only time will tell if the problems with previous models will show up. I can say that it tows our Malibu 23 LSV with no problems. I tow it up into the foothills all the time and made a trip to lake shasta last summer again with no problems. Braking and excelleration was good. So to answer your question yes it tows fine. I don't know about the older models. We do have the Hemi.
Upload
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-03-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/658541.html?1231909328
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
Huge difference depending on year. Agree with Trey on the 98-02. We had an '01 with the 4.7 liter, and it was a dog. Took the boat to Tahoe every year and would literally have to speed up to 75 mph on the downhill portions of highway 80 to build up enough speed to make it up the hills. Otherwise I would literally get passed by semi trucks even with my foot to the floor. We upgraded to an '07 Denali which is night and day.

That being said, a newer model with a hemi will pull a boat without any issues whatsoever.
Old     (ccrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-10-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
thanks for the info, for now Im going to pull with the bronco I have and wait till I can get a full size truck.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-10-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
If you get the Dakota with the V8 you will be fine with towing cause thats what we have
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-10-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
I had a 99 with 4X4 and the 5.9 liter V8... It would get the job done, but did not inspire confidence in me... I was towing an 07 Supra 21v and could not see in ANY of my rearview mirrors.

If you have hills, fugettaboudit.
Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-11-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
I owned a 2001 Quadcab Dakota 2wd with a factory tow package, limited slip differential and 4.7L engine. I was very happy with the way it towed. I never had any problems with the truck. I traded it for a 2001 Durango 4x4 with the 4.7L engine. Very nice to drive around and very good in the snow, but the towing was crap. I felt like the boat owned me when pulling and hills were definitely a problem. The fan clutch didn't last long neither did me owning in. I think the wheel base difference between the two was a factor in how it handled while towing.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
I used a 98 Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 liter & AT to tow a 1994 MC 205 on a tandem axle trailer (about 4000 lbs). Never had a problem in the 7 yrs I had the two. I will say that goin over a mountain pass was a little slow goin but we never made that trip till I moved east.

Upload