Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (hkyleagg)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-09-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
along with wakeboarding this year i would like to wakeskate a little. It looks like a lot of fun. Now i have rode on a wakeskate before and can control it quite well but i was wondering what is a good to start with.....i would like one with grip tape because i dont think the foam has good grip but all the boards with grip tape seem to be a bit pricey for me.....what would you guys recamend(SP?) i would like to keep it under like $150.

also can i buy a board with foam, tear the foam off and put grip tape on it?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
you can grip any board. remember that almost any board you buy for $100 will break pretty fast. Devotid makes high quality flat decks now for $130 which would be a good thing to start with. Also Sattelyte is making some cheaper but still super durable concaves this year for $215.
New wakeskates has $72.15 flat decks and you can put whatever graphic you want on it. http://newwakeskates.com/flatdecks.aspx
New wakeskates also has really good shaped concaves for around 120. http://newwakeskates.com/proskates.aspx

For under 150 your best bang for your buck is going to be a New Concave.
Old     (hkyleagg)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-09-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
whats the difference between the concaves and the flat decks? i know the shape but whats the difference in how it rides?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
concave gives you more leverage, so the board reacts faster to your movements whether its edge to edge or slamming the tail down for an ollie. the concave also allows the board to stay with you a bit better for wake to wake tricks because of the added weight as well as the top shape creates a pocket for your feet.

all in all you will eventually get a concave no matter what if you plan on wakeskating
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-09-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
for 150 id go for new concave how big are you?
Old     (hkyleagg)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-09-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
im a bout 5 foot 10 and like 160 pounds.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
39-41 inches is about right for you.
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-09-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
id probably go with the new mogely 39.5 for you ive only herd good things about that board but ive never rode it my self
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-09-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
right night boardersmall.com has a Ronix Zariel bi-level wakeskate for 150
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
you probably wont want to start with a bilevel. its a bit harder to learn shuvs because they rotate really slow.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
I agree about not starting on a bi I started on a flat and after my 1st month of skating I was ready to upgrade so I'd look into buying a nice wood concave from Oak, New, Devotid, or Sattelyte. I'm currently riding a New concave and 2 different Devotid bi-levels and all 3 are sick decks