Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-24-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
So, my friend is telling me all about what all of his parents/boss for construction/people who know about putting stuff in the lake are telling him about putting in something like a slider, and I was wondering what the penalties are?

The lake is owned by American Electric Power, and my friend seems to think that a Game Warden wouldn't just cut it down, he'd sit around and wait until someone came down to use it, and then he'd question them about who built it. Lawsuits would ensue, and criminal charges would be filed, and fines would be issued.

So what's your guys' experience with permanent sliders and the law/semi-privately owned lakes.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-24-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
Sorry, no help on private lakes with personal experience, but I imagine that the penalties could be more severe. My buddies and I have put up multiple sliders in one spot where we ride and they dot the shores from other riders too. Given, this is a tidal creek, and sometimes they don't stick around due to high waters and fast currents. I've seen guys riding an A frame that's out there and the deputies didn't mind it at all. I would check your state laws first though.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-24-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
It's not really a private lake so much as all of the land below it is owned by the electric company that runs the dam that forms the lake...
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Maybe if you build a floating slider you'll get away with it.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-25-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
maybe the best way would be to get in touch with the office of that particular warden and find out exactly what he would do. no point in speculating when you can just ask!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
we speculated and went for it. Private lake with security patrol boats (rentacops, but "the man" no less) and over 100 houses right on the water. We built a floating kicker and anchored it off of the dock of my friend's house and rode it all day on Sat and Sun a few weeks ago for Mem day. We had ppl pulling up asking if they could hit it on the kneeboards or whatever. Finally at 5 pm on Sunday, they pull up to us as we were setting up to hit the rail. They said the wetbox and rail was crazy, but the kicker topped it off. This is coming from a 70 yr old man.

Unless there are injuries or damages, I'm not sure where all the flack would come from. Doesn't sound like these guys are in control of the lake either. Although, a phone call would clear this up, you may want to start small and just see what happens. All they can do is tell you to take it down and get lost IMO. Last weekend, both neighbors and another guy asked if we were putting the kicker out. build it dude.
Upload
Upload

Choose a remote spot and go for it.

(Message edited by denverd1 on June 25, 2008)
Old     (zburns)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-25-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Nick, there was a slider in a cove a few down from the state park that has been up for a couple of years although i don't think it is up anymore. As long as it is out of the way and not in the middle of the cove it should be fine. Also if you own a dock or know someone with a house on the lake you could put it closer to the the sure because the homeowners own so many feet of water in front of their house.
Old    K.B.C.            06-25-2008, 9:39 PM Reply   
just because you're hitting it doesn't mean you built it....
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-26-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
I am sure there are rules that would apply, but I have no idea how to find out exactly what the rules are.

Most bodies of water are controlled in some way with respect to any permanent structure. This includes docks, mooring balls, buoys, and I would assume it would apply to an installed slider.

The rules would be different for something that floated and was only anchored out while you were using it. There may still be issues if it obstructs a water way or creates a nuisance.

One way to get around some of the potential issues would be to get it registered as a boat! Unless they have rules against anchoring a boat on the lake it would make it legal to be there although they may still consider it to be a nuisance, unsafe or whatever.

Rod
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Rod, thats a great idea for a floater. Pry easier to move too. throw some Reg #'s on it, good to go!

permanent rail: we thought about painting "fish habitat" on the side of it. Most folks won't care about something like that, unless they're just out to shut ya down.

build it and hit it man!
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-27-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Talk to the Game Warden and see if you guys could have your own spot on the lake to put all the sliders and kickers you wanted to.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
So, apparently, some people saw someone building a slider in the back of our cove, and then called the cops, trying to get it pulled out, because apparently in the two seconds that they drive by it on their way into their neighborhood, it disrupts their view of some cows. So all of today, I was watching coast guard and police boats drive in and out of our cove. They apparently think they know who built it, namely, they're spreading the word that I built it... despite my utter inability to build anything or hit a rail. I was thinking about putting a smaller one in back there because I can't hit that one, but not any more.

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on June 28, 2008)