Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       02-18-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
My black gelcoat is faded and I'm sick to death of buffing it constantly to keep it shiny. This stuff sounds too good to be true www.marine-supply.com/vertglas.html Has anyone used it and did it work?
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       02-18-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
I used on my first boat an '85 Wellcraft American 190. It had a red stripe all the way around it that was heavily oxidized. I followed the directions to the letter and it worked great. It made a huge improvement!!! But, It took an enormous amount of elbow grease (effort) to just do a 4" wide stripe around a 19' boat. I would hate to try it on any large areas like an entire boat without some power tools. Good Luck
Scott
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       02-18-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
just checked out your boat pic in your profile.... be ready to invest some time and some serious elbow grease on that 12" wide black stripe!
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Scott - thanks for the input. It says "To apply the Vertglas gelcoat restorer, you don't rub or buff your boat at all. Simply wipe on the sealer to restore the shine and protect your gelcoat for the whole season!" Is that a mess of hooey?? If that's the case I'll just keep buffing it.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Maybe you have different product. I had a Vertglas product that was like 3 or 4 different bottles of stuff you had to put on in a series of applications it seemed like a couple were strippers and then there was reapplication of some new sealer (gelcoat). I still have the kit in my garage. Let me know if you want me to check it out further. The product you are talking about doesn't sound like it does anything to remove an oxidation layer. It sounds like it just adds another layer of gel coat which will only seal your oxidation problem below the surface making it even harder to eventually remove.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Hey I finally looked at your link...... thats the stuff i had and that quote is a wad of hooey. there is nothing simple about it. Thats the same boat example they have been using for years.
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks again for checking..you saved me $70 bucks! Ding dang it, I was hoping it wasn't too good to be true. Oh well, looks like it's back to the compound and power buffer...all that work just keeps me in shape for wakeboarding, right??
Old    turtle            02-24-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
OK, You need to get some 600 grit wet sand paper, and some 1000 and 1200. Do a small area first, wet sand it with the 600, 1000, 1200, than buff it with the compound. Also get a micro finishing compound to follow the hard compound with. (Change the pad between thses steps) Wax it and you are done.

(Message edited by turtle on February 24, 2003)
Old    turtle            02-24-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
More Info

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page263.html
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thanks...that's a very helpful link!