Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-16-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
I am looking to replace my runabout with a boat that can produce a better wake. My problem is that I boat at a private lake that only allows outboards and jet boats. Any ideas???
Old    phimple            02-16-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
Seadoo/Bombardier, have a WB style boat thats a jet. Check out this link http://www.sea-doo.com/seadoo/web/jsp/main.jsp?Params=Y.CAEN.501.1&newsid=805 and also http://www.sea-doo.com/seadoo/web/jsp/main.jsp?Params=Y.US.501.0&newsid=804.

Not sure about the straight line stability of one thats all...

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-16-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
I had a 1999 Four Winns 170 Horizon with a Johnson 115. I ran it with a 500 lb. fat sack in the locker with the rope attached to the built in ski pole. Not bad, really and pretty cheap.

Two things I'd do if I kept it:

1. Four blade prop - I've read these make a world of difference on an O/B

2. About 250 - 400 lbs of lead in the bow in addition to the fat sacks - to add to the wake and reduce bow rise.

Here's a link to one for sale:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/0/33060730.htm

Here's a pic of my wake at 65':

wake
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
Wow, that wake looks great, clean a loooong way back.
Old    deltahoosier            02-16-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
Sanger has a tournement boat with an outboard. I think it is called a ZX something? That way you get a tourney boat hull with an outboard..
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-16-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
if im not mistaken centurion makes a 30ft I/O, sure who needs that big of a boat, but its an I/O
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2003, 1:53 AM Reply   
they should only allow inboards. save the fishies
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-17-2003, 3:14 AM Reply   
say a mid 90s mastercraft BF200 can throw a nice wake. an '80s ski centurion barefoot warrior can as well, but it takes a lot of weight malibu flightcraft and sanger barefooter outboard are not worth considering....yes they are some of the best BF boats ever made, but they can't throw a wake worthwhile of your time. another option is a hydrodyne show ski style boat. i know the twin rigs can throw a pretty decent wake, esp with weight, although it is a super steep wake.

good luck with your quest. are you on a dragboat lake or something?
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Yamaha has a new jet boat with a tower,more reliable than Seadoo's but with the price of it you could buy a wakeboarding boat.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input.

I looked at the older Hydrodynes, haven't found one in good enough condition, also been looking for the older outboard Mastercraft barefoot, very rare. Right now I am considering a newer bowrider (Glastron, Sea Ray, Four Winns) with the idea of adding weight. The wake from BT's Four Winns is very encouraging.

The lake is a small natural glacier lake that has been family owned as long as I can remember. With outboards and ,just recently, jetboats allowed, they keep down the amount of boats and size of the boats on the lake.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-17-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
richard,

i have a friend in WI that buys and sells the older hydrodynes as a hobby. if you want I could put you in touch with him, he might have some good leads to a decent one.
Old    nick360            02-18-2003, 2:27 AM Reply   
I agree with Tim on the mid 90's MC Barefoot. I knew a guy a few years back who owned one and I seem to remember it having a pretty nice wake, better than some of the direct-drives I had ridden at the time.
Old    chris_hargis            02-18-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Richard,
How much you looking to spend? I have a fish and ski for sale that is rigged with ballast (1100 LBS) and a joystick rollcage that does a pretty good wake (not the best out there, but pretty good) It is a 2001 Procraft 20' 6" with a Mercury 200 EFI with four blade SST prop. I have the original 3 blade SST prop also. Tandem trailer. See my profile pic, or my home page at http://www.geocities.com/cghargis/newboat.html
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-18-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
I am looking to keep the price below $14,000.

Tim, I would be interested in getting in touch with your friend about the Hydrodynes. I live in northwestern PA.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-24-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with an outboard mastercraft. Good wake, cheap and lots of room!
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-03-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
I have a 1995 SeaRay Ski Ray and love it. It's a great all around boat and for an outboard a respectable wakeboard boat. You can buy them well under your price range and still have some coin left over for tower, sacks, etc. I repowered mine with a new 200EFI and am still under your $14K point.

This weekend I added an amp and sub and will be adding can speakers to the tower before the summer.

These are kinda hard to find as are the MasterCraft PowerStar, which is the only other open bow, outboard ski boat I know of.

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com

95 SeaRay Ski Ray
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-03-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
richard,

i will get ahold of my friend about the dynes, see what he has right now.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim

I have seen ads for both the ski rays (great looking boats) and the barefoot mastercraft, but not anything within 750 miles. I might have to do some traveling this spring to land one of these boats. Last night I saw an ad for a 1991 barefoot mastercraft with a 225 hp Yamaha for $12,500, but it was in Vermont. Won't be able to test drive anything in the north for another month.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
Are you the shoe bomber?
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
No, he is much better looking