Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
i'm doing stringers and floor in my boat. i want to add a simple ballast system that will load on the fly and drain on the fly. i'll add tanks under the floor while i'm there. i don't want to mess with pumps. i probably want to be able to fill left side vs right side but that's about it.

i've searched and couldn't find much about ballast without pumps.

can someone point me in the right direction?

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Calibria Pro Vert Ballast, maybe they can send you in the right direction.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Here's some info on one I helped with a friend a while back.

There's another link within that post from the beginning.

Good luck.
Old     (alanp)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-11-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
i miss my old ballast system. i think there are spread sheets posted on the diytower site too. if you decide this is for you lemme know and ill dig up what info i have.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-12-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
i've read your review before, alan. that rings a bell and was some of what i'm looking for. i like the vent control idea. my tanks will be under the floor though.

i searched for calabria's system, there's a decent description on pg 5 of this brochure...

gate valves, 1 for each side. fills up when the hull is in the water/drains when on plane. i think i still like the scooper pick-up better with a ball valve.

mcmaster carr has all kinds of them. has anyone seen or have pics of the valves calabria uses? how about pics of the valves on a calabria?? are the openings on the transom?

Old     (alanp)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-12-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
fyi i got just about all my stuff (valves and such) from mcmaster carr. good luck, keep us posted
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
go to there are some technical articles about how much water pressure is created with different size thru-hull scuppers.

I think filling would be easy with a forward facing scupper TH and a shut-off valve. Draining the tanks that are below the water line could be tricky, but could be done with another rear facing scupper or TH at the transom. You need a vent for sure.

Post your design and get input before you pull the trigger.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   

i'm thinking of pushing the tanks a little further forward than i had originally planned. when on plane, the tanks will be mostly above the waterline and definitely higher than a TH mounted on the transom or even under the hull. under the hull might work better with a siphoning effect whereas the transom would only be gravity. however, with a big enough TH gravity should do the trick pretty quickly. under the hull might leave some water in the system if the siphon doesn't draw it all out. it should with a vent.

thanks for the link. i'll start another thread for pics of a calabria transom.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us