Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old    Nick in the TC (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
I was out tonight and ready for my next run and the boat did not start. I could hear the starter and it sounded like the gear was not engaging the fly wheel. We did not crank it for more that a second or two but the end of the little cilinder on the top of the starter got red hot for a second when we turned the key. It sounded alot quieter than I would expect if it was just the engaging gear deal spinning. I tried hitting it but not really hard and couldn't get it to do any thing. Just wonder your guys thoughts and where I could get a replacement starter or do they usually rebuild those. I checked out skidim.com but did not see any starters. Also what will I expect for a price to get going again. The engine is a PCM 351. Thanks
Old    rick ator (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-22-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
you need a new selenoid. Look for your local auto electric rebuilder and get it rebuilt.
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
FYI....you can bypass the solenoid if you haev to, just in case your stuck in the middle of the lake.
Old    Eric McNally (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
or you can just buy a new selenoid they are not that expensive
Old    Nick in the TC (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
So I took my starter off to check it out and the housing was all cracked in a couple different spots. I took it in to get rebuilt and he said it was shot. I got a new one that has the solenoid on it and hooked everything up. It cranked over and seemed like it worked just fine. The guy had me put the wire from the battery and the wire from the starter together to bypass the solenoid and a small jumper from and old solenoid to the new solenoid. My question is can't I totally eliminate the old solenoid now, put some extentions on the other wires and bring them down to the new solenoid?