Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old    John Schneble (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
Just wondering if many people do it. I usually have a 350# bag in the bow aisle when I tow but thought about also leaving the two 250# bags in the trunks full when I'm doing the local tows to my home lake which is about 15 minutes away. Long tows I would deflate the bags to save fuel but I figured I'd be o.k with the rear/front bags full. Any thoughts?
Old    Chqwakeboarder (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
what kind of boat and what trailer?
Old    John Schneble (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Calabria Pro V with a tandem trailer
Old    Chris (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
I would check your trailer weight ratings, and consider weighing at public scales to be safe.
Old    Paul (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-29-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
I wouldn't do it. Seems like it'd cause unwanted wear and tear on many things (brakes, trailer suspension, bunk carpeting, hull on bunks, etc...). For sure check not only your trailer capacity, but your tire capacity, tongue load rating, receiver capacity, etc...
Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
A lot of people tow more lead than that, you should be fine if you have a man sized truck. But as Paul says check ALL of your capacities.
Old    John Schneble (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll keep deflating the bags in back. I've been towing with the 350# up front without any issues (knock on wood). Prolly o.k there huh?
Old    Ryan Haug (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-29-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I would be worried about putting the added pressure on the hull. This is just a thought though. I have never actually done the math on it.
Old    Peter Sharp (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-29-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
One non-wake factor that may help you make up your mind...

You only mention going to one lake, but it's a definite 'no' if you go to different lakes due to the risk of spreading disease. The Great Lakes are currently experiencing terrible fish diseases that could ruin the stocks there. One of the main probs is fishing boats taking water from one lake and dumping it (and the hence the diseases) in another. There was an article about it on NPR last Friday saying that all boats should drain and disinfect live wells if going to different waters.

Of course this would mean less pesky fishermen :-) but I'm pretty sure that we don't want to board in waters with dead fish in them.
Old    Nacho (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       05-29-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
that shid be stanky
Old    Sean M (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
I used to tow my Cal-Air with about 700# of lead in it (then add stereo equipment, batteries...)

I'd pull that weight out if I was traveling long and checked my bearings often.
Old    alan plotz (alanp)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-29-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
i towed both my prostar 190 single axle and supersport dual axle with about 700 lbs in lead. never had a problem
Old    Brian Bedell (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-04-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I personally wouldn't do it b/c those trailers are usually not that awesomely made, and typically are built for very close to what the boat on them weighs. But here's another concern from an attorney--me. Your towing your boat down the street with extra ballast in it (which we can assume is not in accordance with trailer specs, or with general good towing sense--hence your question!) and even though you are towing with an F350 super duty dually diesel turbo supercharged most awesomest truck in the world your rig still stops 10 feet longer then it would without the 750lbs of weight in it. You hit a family of 4 in a minivan after breaking for 100 feet, you would not have hit them if your truck would had stopped at 90 feet,which it would have if you did not have the lead in there. Of course, I have an expert that can testify that you are an ass for keeping the ballast in the boat, and that the ballast caused your rig to stop 10 feet farther down the road. That being said, I trailer with about 350lbs of lead, but I think anymore then 3-500 lbs is too much extra. Especially if it is in water tanks.
Old    J Whelan (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-04-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
to me it doesnt make sense at all to keep the weight in there if it is water. it is just a little inconvienient to keep pumping the water in and out of the boat. there are too many cons outweighing pros to justify keeping the water in the boat