Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old    Nick (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of getting rid of the Buddies and just going with caps. I have the bearings packed every year and every time I put more grease in the Buddies, it just flies all over the wheels. I'm usually pretty anal about trailer maintenance and I'm wondering if I need these things or not. My trailer guy seems to think I should just Ace the damn things. Thoughts?
Old    Hey, You scratched my anchor! (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
being able to grease the bearings is a benefit, bearing buddies are an upgrade, use them, if your seals are leaking that is another story...replace the seals, don't overfill your buddies...

if you took them off...one time of having bearings go out on the freeway will teach you why they are named "bearing buddies"...
Old    Nick (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
The only time anything leaks out is when I put more in. That's if I'm lucky. I've had several fly off while going down the road. My trailer guy has been a trailer guy forever. Like I said, the only time I ever have any issues with them is when I mess with them.

Maybe I just shouldn't mess with them eh? But they have a zert and I have a grease gun? Must resist, must resist.
Old    Flux (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-03-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I am sure your trailer guy has a valid argument and probably the best thing to do is repack and replace worn bearings annually.

The benefit to the buddy is keeping a bit of pressured grease pushing into the bearings and the hub. This keeps the water out and the bearings greased.

I put a few pumps in there as needed and fill up my tires as needed just about every long haul. What I have noticed is the brake hubs tend to get hotter and spit a bit of grease out the front of the buddy. Usually it ends up in the bra. I clean it out and put a couple pumps in.

I also like seeing indicator and wiggling it to know if there is grease in there.

Not sure how yours flew off, they are a press fit type thing and mine are on really tight. I would not replace them with caps, i like the setup, it's easy to maintain, and I will take a bit of grease on a rim rather than a smoked bearing on a trip.
Old    WAlove (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-03-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
If you over fill the bearing buddies they tend to spray more grease. Make sure you have the bra's on too they help keeping the grease from getting on the wheels.
Old    Wakejunky (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
I loose my bearing buddy bras every year on one particular annual trip. It's a hilly trip whereby the brakes heat up pretty significantly. Unfortunately, the bras fly off and I end up with grease spewed on the wheels. I wish there was there was a way to prevent loosing the bras.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old    Jory (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
I forget the brand of our trailer, but it has oiled bearings. They are perfect! It has a clear indicator on it so we know the level in it & condition of the oil. They haven't needed any maintenance yet, but we'll see how that goes.
Old    pwork (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-04-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
Nick-

It sounds like you're pretty on top of things, so if you continue to monitor the bearings, I wouldn't hesisitate. It'll just take more work at home to keep grease in them. Like the other have said they are a convience item.

Jory-

That's what I have now, I love them. I did change the oil this season though. Not hard, but time consuming. It was cold and it took forever to get the 50w oil out of them. I had to use a syringe to get the oil back in. Again it took forever to get them filled back up. Next time I'll pull the boat a ways to get the oil heated up.
Old    Nick (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
If I hadn't had any of them fly off, I probably wouldn't have even thought of getting rid of them. To be honest, I haven't had any issues since replacing the Carlisle's with the Goodyear's. I think losing the B-Buddies had to do with some vibration issues due to not being able to balance the worst trailer tires ever.

Funny story- Right before we get to the gas station one morning, a buddy was following us. I'm looking in the mirror at him and I see a shiny object come flying off the trailer and go bouncing across the other lane into oncoming traffic. Cars are swerving and general disarray is in effect. My buddy see it and pulls over and runs across the street and grabs the B-Buddy. By this time, I'm at the pump waiting for my buddy to bring back my Buddy. He does and I say, "Thanks Buddy." I knock it back on with the rubber mallet I carry in the truck. Jump on the freeway and ZING, it's gone again. Whatever. I pull over and grab a plastic bag and a roll of duct tape and make myself a custom dust cap and we're back on the road. That was the last issue I had with it that day. Good 'ol duct tape.
Old    Flux (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-04-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
You may want to check the DIA on those buddies. They make a bunch of sizes and they leave some machining marks on em for a tight fit. Mine went in very tight and you literally have to hammer them in and hammer them out with a with a block of wood and a mallet.

Best of luck with whatever you do.
Old    Nick (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I chickened out and kept the Buddies. Like I said, I haven't had and an issue since putting the Goodyear's on, so I figured why change? Thanks for the input though, it is appreciated.

On a side note, since I basically had the entire brake system redone, I had them switch out the Pivot-hitch bolt while they were at it. A lot of the originals were too short. A lot of them have a 4" shank. In order for the shank to go all the way through the Pivot-hitch assembly, it needs to be a 5" shank. If you have one, check it out. Mine was starting to bend just a bit as the bottom was riding on the threads. I hate to think what would happen if one broke and worked it's way out.
Old    Winston Evans (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-07-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
How much does it cost to get bearings packed (tandem trailer)? Sorry to hijack your post. How often do you guys recommend that it be done if I tow less than 1500 miles a year?
Old    P. Van Every (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
your bearings shouldent ever be repacked. for $40 a axel through the old bearings away and start new. the caps over the bearing buddys only hold the water in. If you havent overgreased your bearings and you keep your buddies clean the o-ring in there should never leak any grease. after replacing your bearings you should disasamble and clean the buddies. then when repacking only put enough in to just move the spring. As far as how long a bearing will go, if you jack up your trailer and shake down the wheels for excessive movement and noise. thats the only way to tell when you need to replace. When you put the buddies back on use some locktight on the hubsurface to keep it from flying off. after a lot of miles you may get a couple of small grease spots on your wheels. But if your entire wheel is greasy than you have a prolbem.
Old    Nick (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
This thread is now jack-able. I have mine done once a year whether they need it or not. I do quite a bit of towing every year, so I take it in at the beginning of every season and have them give it a good once over. This year, they found a busted caliper, so I had them basically put a new brake system in it. New calipers, pads, lines, new bearings (just to be safe), new Pivot-Hitch bolt and a new electrical plug. $620 out the door. I use the trailer a lot though and being 7 years old now, I just wanted to be preventative.