Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
I posted the other day about jacking my ankle the weekend before last...thought I just tweaked it a little. But 1 1/2 weeks after it hurts WORSE now, and swells a lot. I've been taking 800mg Motrin, Tumeric, and Triflex....as well as rotating heating pad and ice packs, which is how I've always self-treated sprains. It's the left ankle, outside right in front of the upper part of the joint...I have pain and swelling there. I've torn ligaments before but I don't remember the pain being this sharp...certain ways I step make it really hurt. When I raced..I'd have these odd little breaks now and then...find them a few weeks later and have to be casted. The exact spot of the pain feels more like it's in the ligament that attaches the tib-fib at the bottom....don't know the med. name for that one.(for the Daily Double? Anyone?) At times last week it was not bad at all.
I fell backsliding out the back after a crap W2W warm up hop, and the front edge broke loose, then caught right before my face hit the water kinda thing, and it was a little blue the next day.
After that many days....and my issues, what would it be most likely?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Sounds like you could have a stress fracture, although a pretty strange place for one. If the pain is in front of the lateral ankle and about level with the tib-fib that is the anterior talofibular ligament, the most commonly sprained ligament in the ankle area. You could also have an avulsion fracture, where the ligament holds but tears a little piece of bone off your Fibula. Again, not likely at this location as this ligament is notoriously weak.

I have attached a picture of the ankle, tell me exactly where the pain is on the picture and I can give you a better clue as to the problem.

Upload
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
while we have a doctor on the site,

last night i was just walking through my house and out of no-where felt a sharp pain start in the lower part our my right heel and shoot up to my knee and i fell down.

for the rest of the night it re-occured a few times. any ideas?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Caleb,

I looked at your profile, you are young so I wouldn't worry too much. Often times a ligament will stretch slightly as you grow and send these strange pains in the area. You also are getting closer to the age where your growth plates will come together, which in some cases can cause weird pain like that. If this problem keeps up go to a local doc for some x-rays to make sure there is no hairline fracture.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
oooooh okay.

that sounds good, it hasnt given me any problems today so i think ill be goo, just thought id check.

thanks KJ
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
KJ, While we are talking about foot pain I have a question for you. I have a knot or bump on my inside left foot where the large toe joint is. I can walk ok and move it slightly but have pain in the joint and on the bump. I need to go get it x-rayed as its been three weeks or more. Not sure how I did it so I was hoping it would go away. Do you think this can be a ligament strain? I often pop or crack that toe it that makes a differance but can not now cause it hurts to bend it. I just do not want a cast right before summer and if thats the case I'll wait on the pictures.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
AWESOME!!! The doc is in with NO WAITING! Do you take UHC? lol
Doc...on the above pics...right where the ATL attaches to the fibula..feels like I have a nail in it when I press it. The whole area of the bone aches right there. The ligament is very inflamed in front and below it as well.

If it's just a sprain...would I still have a sharp feeling pain at this point? It's so hard to tell these days.....I'm old.

PS...can you e mail me a scrip for some stumble biscuits??
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
foxrepDC,

Nope, don't take UHC, cash is always good

If you have extreme pain at the ATL and Fibula attachment you may have an avulsion fracture. I hate to tell you this but you need an x-ray to rule out any fracture. Another red flag is that it hurts worse now, could be because you aren't taking it easy and the inflammation set in more, or you have a fracture.
One other thing, don't put any heat on it. Ice over the inflammation in a cycle, 10 minutes on, 10 off, then 10 back on. That cycle will help the inflammation the best.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
wakeboardin,

The bump on the medial side of your big toe could be a few things. I need to know a few more things to narrow the list. How old are you and is there any discoloration at the big toe.

Here are a few things it could be. You could have the start of a bunion, which will eventually get fairly large. You might also have something called hallux rigidus, basically arthritis of the big toe. Turf toe (ligament sprain) is a possibility but that is usually at the top of the big toe. You could also have gout, which often leads to big toe pain and redness...it just looks nasty!
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
KJ,
I am 43 and the bump is red and the redness moves toward the end of the toe on top and on the side. I also would say that the bump is the size of a dime. Also I know what gout is but have trouble believing that as it is only in this particular joint and the pain caused by the bump. I guess in my case a visit may be my only option if I could ever get away from work. Thanks for the help
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
wakeboardin,

I think you may have gout. The funny thing is that it usually only affects 1 joint, and most often the big toe. If it looks like this the probability is high for gout:

Upload
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
That looks pretty close. Well at least i won't need a cast. Any particulars to resolve this other than staying away from red meat? the medication for this causes migraines which I am prone to so I will search the net for other options. Thanks again
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Gout worsens if you eat a lot of protein (red meat) or shellfish.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
darn it ... why is it that i never get hurt when there's a doctor readily available? i'm sure i'll happen soon, because i just recently paid off my hospital charges from the last injury. this is so my luck! to everyone - heal quickly ... i can say that cuz none of you live here so you won't be crowding our lakes - LOL! p.s foxy - what up homie?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
wakeboardin,

Stay away from Red Meat like you said and I hate to say it....ALCOHOL
Go to a local health food store and get black cherry juice....it will help the uric acid problem. Also drink a lot of water, at least half your body weight in ounces per day.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
KJ, Thanks but I really do not drink much anyways maybe a couple beers a month or once in a while. I am aware of the water and black cherry juice as my father has it. I have read studies that it is not related to diet but who knows.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Wow KJ you sure opened up a can of worms with this one. You are the WW resident Dr now.

Ok so I have some swelling and redness on my um....member....

jk, I think that is sooooo cool that you are here helping people out.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
THE MED THREAD!!!!!!

Doc...you're totally right! I was very swollen last night, couldn't put much weight at all on it and HURT...but I don't get to rest it a lot. Heck I had to re-shoe one of our horses last night after work because she had one halfway off..imagine that weight pressing down while I had her hoofs clamped between my knees!! Plus she was being BAD. I have not rested it at all...Hello..my name is DC, and I'm a don't-stop-a-holic.
Last night I iced it, and slept with a neo-prene compression wrap on it...totally felt better this morning. Today I'm gonna get some of those first aid ice packs and keep it iced a lot today.

Kylie Jane...what up???? Did your lawn melt yet? 88 here today! lol
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Sean,

I was waiting for someone to post about their...member!!

FoxrepDC, you need to rest it more or it will nag you for a while. Don't leave the ice on for more than 20 minutes, there is no benefit after that.