Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    mike (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-05-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Hello.
I have found a buyer for my boat. Although I am very excited about this, I am not excited about the current weather. The guy buying it is driving a long way (900 miles). The weather calls for WIND and SNOW this Saturday!! We will be unable to lake test it. What do you all recommend? The buyer wants to put a clause in the purchase agreement regarding mechanical condition. How should this be worded? I don't want to extend a warranty to this guy beyond that the boat runs and works. But I don't want to say "as-is" to scare him. The dealership said they would de-winterize and hook it up to the machine to run and then winterize again.

I am just trying to get advise on what to do. I don't want to get a phone call weeks/months in the future saying the boat broke and I have to pay - when I can't even prove what has happened since it left my possesion. The boat works great - but I am trying to avoid any future hassles.

Thanks for any advise!
Old    Ian Brown (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
no way you sell with any warranty. you can take it into the dealer and he can watch them hook it up and run it. if he wants to pay for an inspection, he can. you shouldn't have to do this. most used boats out of warranty are sold as is.
Old    Jeff Burnside (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       04-05-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
I agree it really needs to be sold as is. I sold my sons KTM 50 dirt bike a while back to a guy who heard it run but did not bring his kid with him to test it out. Two days later I get a call from the purchaser saying the bike does'nt run and he is having all kinds of problems with it. Because I told him I would stand behind the quality of the bike he asks me to take it back. I go round and round with the guy and finally decide to take it back. It turned out that he bought the bike for his tiny daughter who was likely scared to death of it. Anyway sell it "as-is" it's the purchaser's responsibility to look it over and have it inspected by a mechanic if need be. Good luck.
Old    Erik (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-05-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
are the lakes still frozen? If not, just put it in the water and drain the block and manifolds when you get home. It takes 10 minutes. If you have an onboard heater, keep that valve closed so water doesn't run through it and you don't have to drain it.
Old    Diggs (pdxWAKE) (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-05-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
yeah i would not worry about re-winterizing the boat... you are in ohio... you really think you will have a deep freeze for a long period of time? It is going to take more than just one night at 32 degrees to crack your block. if you are really nervous just do what erik above said... no worries....
Old    alan plotz (alanp)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-05-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
i would tell the guy to do whatever he likes to the boat while you and he are there, but once it leaves, its his. if he's smart he'll run a compression test, pull the plugs to look for fouling and a host of other things. if i were to offer him any type of warranty i would offer that there is nothing on the boat that is going to cause vibration under load(i.e. the prop and shaft a straight). but i would also put a time limit. give him 1 week to test this. other than that, i wouldnt offer him anything. you can go to a motocross dealer, walk away with a 6500 brand new bike and those arent covered by a warranty either, youre not being unreasonable.
Old    M-Dizzle (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-05-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
I agree with whats being said. I am sure you want to move the boat and he wants the boat asap. If it were me, I would personally say "you have two options either: you can either take it as is, or wait until its warmer in my area and hope I still have it". (assuming your local lakes are frozen over).
Old    mike (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-05-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice!!
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-06-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
I just sold my boat to a guy from Boise, and we had the same problem. He didn't want me to unwinterize it do to weather worries. I took the boat to the dealership and they did a cold compression test. The numbers are usually a little lower doing it cold, but it can be done.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us