Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-05-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
What is the best free movie editor...not windows movie maker(it sucks)
Old    mobster            10-11-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
go to WWW.dvdrhelp.com .go to the tools section and pick one .free programs have their limits to what they will do but you can test alot of them 2 see what works for you
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-25-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I can't say it's the best, but Premiere Pro 2.0 by Adobe is great software. It used to be that Final Cut on a Mac system was THE editor to use - however, Adobe (and others) have stepped up to the plate in the last few years and really added choice to the editing playing field.

It ain't cheap. You might look at Premiere Elements, also - their 'lite' version.

Once you get past the very basics, MM is extremely frustrating and time consuming.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-25-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
NLE history 101:

Adobe introduced Premiere in the early 90's and at the time it was the only video editing software that was somewhat platform independent in that it wasn't tied to any one piece of video hardware. Back then Apple had just invented quicktime but there was really no way to digitize video into the computers or play it back full frame in real time given the constraints of the hardrives, processors etc. without some sort of hardware video card/system.

My first editing system consisted of Premiere, a Powermac 8100 with 64 mbs of RAM, a used Radius Video Vision I/O card and 2 Seagate 1 gig parallel head barracudas raided together. That system could read/write at the astronomical speed of 5.5mbs (your average ide drives these days are 40 mbs+). I shudder when I think of how much I spent on all that stuff.

Anyway back then Premiere was it until you got into the big buck dedicated systems like Media 100, AVID etc..

When FCP was first introduced I bought it because I liked the interface, (it was similar to RadiusEdit which is now also long gone) but it wasn't looked at as a serious piece of software in the pro community until version 3.

So I think it's ironic when you say FCP is the old school, established editor and Premiere is the new kid on the block. If Adobe had put any effort into keeping pace with the competition Premiere might have a different status today.

(Message edited by richd on October 25, 2006)

(Message edited by richd on October 25, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-25-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
hi rich! see you friday?

adobe IS going too keep pace w/ the competition (imo) now w/ its production studio package. i think premiere pro is only considered the "new kid on the block" because fcp has become the industry standard. (not to say that ppro these days can't do what fcp can)

i've messed around with fcp and frankly, i couldn't see anything that it can do that ppro can't. i've also tried avid xpress pro hd (or something like that), and man, talk about complicated! haha!

(Message edited by dakid on October 25, 2006)
Old    mobster            10-26-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
premiere pro 2 is as good as final cut. Mac has nothing on PC editors except It's self promoted hype. You have a choice go PC
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-26-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
I wasn't trying to say FCP is any better then Premiere only that there was a time when Premiere was the only kid on the block. They all get the job done, it's really just a matter of what you feel comfortable with. I will say this though, show me a company out there that will sell you an upgrade like this: as an owner of FCP 4 (2 versions back) I got to buy the full version of Final Cut Studio (which includes FCP 5, DVD studio Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro and Compressor) for $199.00! You won't see Adobe selling you a bundle like that.
Old     (fredrik_of_sweden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
I use Adobe premiere
But of course it's not free.
To me it is worth the money.....
here is some of the things i have done!
www.foamproductions.net