Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-19-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
I have had my second boat for two months and already 2 flats the tires were used but looked great so what kind of tires does everyone use? these are c class, and blowing a tire on your trailer at 70 mph suuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkksssss!!!!!!
Old    Tyler McCurdy (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
Well our trailer has the wheel and tire package from Extreme, and our wheels are 17" Extreme wheels, with Toyo Proxes ST directional tires.
Upload
Upload
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-20-2006, 12:37 AM Reply   
I had many problems with the original tires that came on my Extreme trailer. Since I switched to Goodyear Marathons with metal valve stems, no problems at all. One of the best decisions you can make is a good trailer tire.
Old    P. Van Every (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
go with a standard car tire ST rated, 60 series on a 15" and 70 series on a 14". A regular car tire has at least 1800# of load per tire. even with tons of equiptment you will never over load your tires, seirous bearing failure before tire failure. And with trailer`s these days their is no sway when towing so a true trailer tire is unessary and the quality in most trailer app tires sucks any way.
Old    Paul (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Phillip, some of your information is correct and some wrong. If the tire size starts with a "P", then it is a passenger car tire. If it starts with "LT", then it is a truck (or light truck)tire. If it starts with "ST", then it is a trailer tire. Passenger car tires can be used on trailers, but their load capacity must be decreased 10% according DOT and the Trailer Manufacture's Assn. Car tires will still have more sway and bounce than trailer tires. And I believe that the 1800# rating that you claim that most car tires have- is high. Most are really lower than that. I would be very careful about putting car tires under my boat.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Agree with Paul- I had two blow outs last month on ST rated Carlisle tires- rated for trailers. The tires were 5 years old and the manufacturer recommends changing the tires every 5 years- I guess that's what I did one wheel at a time! During the blow outs, the only tires the towing people had were passenger tires and they just didn't support the trailer well, so I just replaced all 4 this past weekend with ST rated trailer tires. Making the wrong choice here is a huge mistake. The blowouts not only cost me the tow fees and tires, but also had to get new fenders for the trailer as they were ripped apart by the flying treds! `
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Goodyear Marathon.
ST205/75R15 C BL 9 5.0-6.5 5.50 8.0 27.1 5.6 12.0 770 1820@50

vs Goodyear passenger, smae size and class:
P205/75R15 97S XNW 5.0 - 7.6 5.50 8.0 27.1 5.6 1,598 @ 35

A couple hundred lbs difference, but the tire pressure is the difference. The trailer tire is rated at 50 psi, the passenger tire at 35 psi.

An LT tire would allow you a higher PSI rating and be more like a trailer tire, but you realy are not going to save any money over a Marathon.

Firestone used to offer some good trailer tires for les than Goodyear, used them on some of my trailers years ago with very good results.

Every trailer I have came with Marathon's new, and have not had to replace nay yet, but I always carry spares because they will go!
Old    Darrel F (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
Stay with the Goodyear Marathons or Towmaster trailer tires only. Carlisles are unreliable. I've had 4 trailer tire blowouts over 20 plus years and everytime it was a car tire. I have never had a problem with TowMasters and they are only about $60 a corner.
Old    chris (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-21-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Stay away from Carlisle, go with the Goodyears. I "think" this is universally understood. Some may disagree.
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
I shopped trailer tires recently, and according to a couple tire shops, Carlisle worked their tread separation problems out a couple years ago. I hope they did; I have about 500 miles on a new set.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
the Carlisles are gone- I now have Towmasters on the trailer. Never had an issue with the Carlisles until the blowouts last month though- two tires in the SAME DAY one hour apart and they both just disintegrated- tearing up the fenders too. They were 5 years old and had plenty of miles on them, but come on.. 2 in one day?
Old    Andrew (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-21-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Goodyear Marathons are great tires. Also make sure you are running max PSI...a low tire will surely cause a blowout. Too low of PSI creates a ton of friction and causes the tire to overheat...I had a blow-out this way...not fun.
Old    derek boyer (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
Sort of off-topic; does anyone here make a point to run nitrogen in their trailer tires? Costco uses it (probably as a marketing gimic) because it's more temperature stable (which it is). As heat increases in the tire, air expands at a certain rate, which increases pressure, and vice-versa with cooling. Nitrogen changes at a much slower rate. Also I hear it leaks less.

Last month I filled up the trailer tires to 50 (think it must have been a pretty hot day) with regular compressed air as usual. Next week, I check them to see if the slow leaker dropped and see they're all sitting at 45. Okay, bring them back up to 50. Check them again right before heading off to Havasu (couple hundred miles) and they're ready to roll at 65. The tires and stems are six years old and Rice Road is way out in BFE; blowing tires from something as simple as under- or overinflation would really ruin our day. Anyhoo, it got me wishing I had green caps on my trailer tires (that's what Costco uses to indicate they're filled with N2).

Maybe this will be the winter to change bearings, tires, metal valve stems and have Costco fill 'em up.
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
I recently read a long debate on this subject. Many people offered the molecular breakdown of air (just general atmosphere) and pointed out that it is already like 75% nitrogen, or nitrogen rich compounds.

The consensus, if there was any is that it might result in a fraction of a percent cooler operating temps in your tires and is basically a way to make yourself feel safer.
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'd be looking at the brakes too if I had two blow in one day.
Old    derek boyer (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Yeah, I thought I read that it was like 75% less susceptible than air. THAT's a big difference. My air went from 50 up to 65, and supposedly N2 would've only climbed to like 55.) Will have to check on that. I do know that's what we used to fill jet tires.
Old    Paul (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
It has been way too long since I've had the thermodynamics classes that would have helped me figure exactly what the changes in pressure are, but I do know that the little bit of water or moisture that in the air from an air compressor can make a big difference. In applications where compresssed air is used in instrumentation and small pressure changes make a difference, refrigerated dryers are used to take the moisture out. The nitrogen is pure and dry and not affected anywhere as much to temperature.

I've had personal experience in 3 cars with nitrogen in tires from Costco for several years. Pressures don't change nearly as much due to temperature and the pressure doesn't go down as quickly over time. I have them check tire pressure about every 3 months and adding N2 is rare. I don't know how expensive it is for them, but I believe that it is a safety advantage with Costco.
Old    Ken Novotny (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Just had this conversation with my local tire shop. The guy that runs it is NOT a dealer of any tire more a tire shop that can get any tire you desire. He has the local RV and boat dealer (Bryant, Rinker, and Ranger boats). He says that Towmaster's are the best for the $$$ but powerking's he's had less troubles. The Goodyear's are used on boats because they are the ONLY tire rated for trailers that have white letters and these tires aren't any good compared with towmaster or powerking. My trailer had Carlisle's on it and the all cuppled after about 2000 miles. The Carlisle distributor said that they have a known engineering bug and would happily swap them out for me. So I'm running some new ones on my trailer now but only becuase they were free. On the advice of the tire shop I'd go with the towmasters or powerking's. He actually said the powerking's were a little more than the towmasters and worth the extra $$. The local RV shop runs powerkings and he hasn't had one problem in five years with this line. He couldn't say that for the towmaster's but still said they were good tires. For $30 more I'd stick with what he knows over the past five years and put powerking's on my trailer.

Just wanted to share the experience of one local tire shops opinion with the group.
Old    derek boyer (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-22-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Ken, good post. Does Powerking make a 50-series? Just kidding, but man, the wheelset on that BU looks great!

If I had all the ducks, one of the things I'd like to do is use some Toyota alloy rims (off Sequoia/Tundra or Highlander/RX300) just to get a little more OEM looking. To do that, a lower profile's required. Then again, ain't no way we can justify spending that kind of money on trailer rims when we don't even have Perfect Pass !
Old    King of PoP (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-22-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
In my race truck where tire temps get to 200+ degrees, we see a 2-5 pound difference in the pressure rise between clean air and nitro.
This would never be an issue on the street where trailer tire temps would be 160 at the most.
However, if your air is full of water or vapor, like Paul said....the difference would be greater.
Old    derek boyer (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-22-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
That's probably what it is - water in the ancient compressor. Troy, you're riding 06 Absolute w/Zeus...I finally upgraded to 06 Flame w/Torq. Love the pop in this board!

(Message edited by toyotafreak on August 22, 2006)
Old    Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Nitrogen in the tires is another one of what I like to refer to as "ricky racer myths".

Nitrogen has a larger molecule than air, so it won't leak out as easily as air does. As a better example of this look at helium. A helium ballon will go flat overnight while an air filled balloon will stay inflated for weeks. An nitrogen inflated balloon would stay inflated much longer.

Some high tech race teams use nitrogen in their tires so that the air pressure will stay right where they put it. They will mount the tires, inflate them, run them during practice and set them aside for the race, knowing that they will have the same pressure in them tomorrow that they do today.

The less technical race teams see the top guys using nitrogen and assume that it does something, so they start using it. When asked why they take a guess, and then the myth starts.

Both nitrogen and air (which contains a lot of nitrogen) are close enough to an "ideal gas" at the temperatures and pressures that a tire would ever see. An ideal gas behaves the same, irrespective of what the gas is. PV=nRT. If the volume stays the same, a given change in temperature will result in a given change in pressure. There are no coefficients to the equation for the type of gas.
Old    King of PoP (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Rod,

The main reason nitrogen is used in extreme environments is because it contains practically no water vapor, whereas ambient air contains an unpredictable and variable amount of water vapor. Water vapor expands in your tire as it heats up faster than air (or nitrogen).
I have seen 15psi gains from 10 minutes on a hot track with "dirty wet"(condensation in the lines) shop air. Nitrogen (or dry air for that matter) would show a 5-8 psi build up over the same run. Nitrogen is an easy way to eliminate one of many variables at the track and almost everyone uses it.
Old    Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-23-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
King of Pop wrote:
"Water vapor expands in your tire as it heats up faster than air (or nitrogen)."

Have they repealed the laws of physics lately?

I know the myths, but science doesn't support it. Water vapor would obey the same gas laws as nitrogen. For the temperatures and pressures that we are talking about, PV=nRT. It doesn't matter what the gas is. Air, nitrogen, or water vapor. If it is a gas it will obey the law.

There are valid reasons to use something other than air in a tire. There are a few high tech racing crews that may actually understand what is going on, everyone else follows suit and makes up myths to explain what they don't understand. And you know what? They get the same results as the guys who spent a lot of $$$ actually figuring it out, it only cost them a few races to catch on.
Old    P. Van Every (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-23-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
ST dosen`t stand for a trailer tire. The ratings are st, 109 mph
tr over 109 mph
hr under 129 mph
zr over 159 mph
on passenger tires, I have been using car tires on my boat over 5 yrs. The biggest prolbem is you punch a sidewall on a curb that you dident even feel but you trailer tire did. It will bulge the sidewall ( air inbetween casing & rubber) and very shortly after you have a blow out. Or haven,t you ever noticed the bolts on your trailer runners gone! Somthing like that takes out your psi and your tire at 55 mph for 2 min, good bye..
Old    Chad Miranda (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
Without reading any of this thread, my answer to your question is:

NOT CARLISLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by Forwaken on August 23, 2006)
Old    Paul (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Phillip, refer to this link for an explanation on tire markings.

http://www.safercars.gov/Tires/pages/TireLabelLtTrucks.htm

The P, LT, or ST we are talking about are the letters that preceed the tire size. And ST does stand for trailer application. The letters designating speed ratings come after the load rating letters which comes after the rim diameter. Also, the speed rating is a single letter, not tr, hr, or zr as you suggest. Go ahead and continue using passenger tires on your trailer, but if they aren't derated, you are asking for trouble.