Gregg......I had a '02 XStar which is the same as the X1. Here's my thoughts:
1. In rough water it doesn't ride very well and you will get beat around pretty good.
2. I had the 310hp motor with a 14x18 prop and it was more then enough to get the boat on plane with 2400# of water. The 310 engine actually has a much better torque profile then the MCX.
3. With 4-5 people in the boat I'd run around 2200# (1000# in the back and 1200# in the front).
4. Empty the driver's side completely, fill the center KGB and add 1000# on the surf side.
5. This is a great boat that will not leave you disappointed at all!