Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-08-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Jerry Price was kind enough to let us demo three boards. His Piranna, Ja Mako and a new design he has coming out soon. I havee always been impressed with the Shred Stixx product. They are complete, full traction - including EVA on the nose, so you can hang 5, nose and tail guards and the more expensive Future's Fins. I should have some pic's a review of these boards by Monday. I have to share one picture. Jerry shaped a 5'0" stixx for James a few years ago and that is the first board James started winning contests on. We have it hung above the TV, memorializing the magic stixx :-)
Old    surfdad            06-08-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
Upload
Old    Johnny Wadd            06-08-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Jeff, I have been talking to Jerry about his Ja Mako. I am on his 5'8" now. When I bought it he tried to talk me down in size due to my height and weight but since I ocean surf a 6'10" I decided to go bigger. Now to my question. How was the Ja Mako. Jerry lives by me and hope to demo one with him.
Late$
John
Old    surfdad            06-09-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
I seemed to have lost all the pictures we took of the Ja Mako. I'll have to try and find them on the camera this evening...anyway. The Ja Mako, at 4'11" is seemingly small by description, but when you have it in your hands, it's a BIG BOARD. It's wide and thick and has plenty of volume and surface area. I'm in the 180 range and it's more board than I need. We also put Dennis on the board, Dennis is 250+ and while he was able to ride it, it wasn't enough board for him.

For me, the down the line speed was impressive. I can't remember a board that has more drive. I took the trailer fin out and it loosens the board up tremendously and also diminishes the drive. I think for folks in the 200+ pound range the extra drive would be desirable.

Judy also rode the board and she's - 105 soaking wet. The board is actually taller than her. :-) She was able to flip it up and ride without problems. As she described it, the ride was effortless. At one point she flew down the face and out into the flats, at least 4 feet beyond the edge of the boat, then gracefully just scooted back into the pocket. The rails release water very smoothly and the surface area of this board is unique in the market, at this length.

What the board does for larger folks is give them the ability to slaysh. Hard top and bottom turns don't catch the nose in the flats or on the transition, as is usually the case with longer boards. Also, this board would allow riding in much smaller wakes. I was able to stall the board all the way back to where the tail of the board was in the foam at the back of the pocket and then bring it back forward.

Due to it's increased width, rail to rail moves require more effort than say my 4'5" that's 20 inches wide, but it's not impossibly hard...the concept is that you have to WANT to make the move. However, in comparison to other boards designed for bigger guys, this board rips. Most other products that are designed to meet this size and weight range are more "cruiser" oriented. The Ja Mako is a performance board, if you want it to be.

As I've said before with Shred Stixx products, they are complete. Full EVA Traction and nose and tail guards. It's the attention to detail that REALLY sets the Shred Stixx products apart.

If I had one complaint it was the placement of the EVA foam patches. The gap was a bit wide for my toes and I would catch one in between two sections.

If you're in Jerry's area, and meet the boards weight recommendations, you really owe yourself a demo on the Ja Mako. If you're wanting a better surf style ride, but can't fit on a 4'6", you'll buy this Ja Mako after a demo.
Old    surfdad            06-09-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Finally found the pics. The first is of Dennis, 250+ lbs. He was able to cut pretty hard, but you can also see that it's not enough board for him. The second picture is of our mobile ballast system. This custom FAT SAC comes with wireless remote and can be deployed to any location within the boat with a sandwich. :-) I'm in the background. The final picture is of Judy, although I'm not sure where that rooster tail she seems to be throwing came from! :-)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-11-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
We took the JaMako out again yesterday and I think this picture is perhaps the most telling. I ride regular and speak disparegingly of goofy stance (in jest!) frequently. My dear friend Dennis rides goofy so we try and accomodate him (begrudgingly :-) ) on occassion. If you've ever tried riding backside it isn't easy and the first FEW times is like learning to ride all over again. I attempted to ride backside with Dennis' 6'2" board but found it too much to manage. Then I switched over to the Jamako and was successful on the first attempt. The thruster configuration and shorter length combined with a wider template makes this board more controllable. Upload
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
You guys planning on going out all this mon or tues? Im leaving for paris and China on Wed and would to ride before than.

Let me know. Thanks guys

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
Old    surfdad            06-11-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Hey Danny, long time no hear. How is the video promo tour going? Are you wealthy beyond your wildest dreams yet? :-) Didn't you just get back from Europe like last week? We aren't hitting the water until Thursday this week, sorry guy. Give Dennis a shout, he goes out mid week at Folsom, sometimes.
Old    Johnny Wadd            06-11-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Jeff, What lake at you at for these pics?
Board More/Work Less!
j$
Old    surfdad            06-11-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
All of those are at New Hogan Res. During the week, we normally are (almost) the only folks on the lake.