After owning the boat for two years with the stock system XMD3 headunit and 4 - 6.5" clarion components. I knew that I was going to upgrade the system eventually and that began collecting the install items this past winter.
Here is what I decided on:
4 - Polk DB6500 components
2 - MTX 5512-44 Subs
MTX MXA6004 for the tower speakers
MTX MXA6001 for the subs
Clarion Ipod Controller
Stinger Digital Fuse box
Stinger Wire Products (Power, speaker, RCA's)
4 - MC Tower Lights
Optima Blue Top (Deep Cycle)
100's of feet of wire, connectors, heat shrink, etc.
Let it begin: Before.
Building the subbox, ampboard, battery box, and fiberglass resin. This was just about checking the measurements once and cutting twice. Ha.
The whole project was done on a budget so I decided to build the cans out of PVC pipe and plumbing pipe I know...you are thinking why but I am pleased with the results, and hopefully you cannot tell by the end of this.
Mock-up of cans:
Next step was covering the ampboard, battery box and subbox in vynil. Here I added my personal touch to the project by using two layers of 1/8" closed cell foam to create an embossed look. While I installed the first layer of foam, I had the Princess cut out the letters. She also helped me later on in the project soldering wires when I needed a third hand. So thanks to my loving and understanding wife, who now knows why I added this to the already expensive boat. Okay back to the photos.
Installing foamed letters:
Subbox, ampboard, batterybox and lid wrapped:
Next step was removing the tower drilling for the speaker wires and power wires for the lights. I used the idea from a previous post and using the banana plugs recessed mounted so the install is really clean looking. I also wrapped all the wires with wire looming that is the fabric style. For the connectors I used weatherproof connectors by WeatherPak. Sorry no pics if you want some PM me and I can get some to you.
Next was to mount the ampboard and install all the final wire connections.
Battery Box installed:
Sub box installed:
Here are the cans all mounted to the tower. I used rattle can paint so it is easier to touch up, plus it is cheaper than auto paint.
This is the after photo:
It only took me about 6 weekends working full days to get this all done. Alot of it was just making sure it was going to function without problems, and to ensure a custom fit and finish. Thanks to all those who got me some of the misc. items - BRIAN! It helped on those hard to find or get items. Again to my wife who now loves the system and has already started creating her ipod boarding mix. And most of all to my dad who helped with glassing, welding, bondo-ing, and painting.
Other items not shown in install, alot of the wiring, ALARM, multiple late nights working things out.
Here is to a summer of riding and rocking!