Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
All i've heard is they have been pushed back and then pushed back. When are they going to start shipping and hit the stores? I'm ready to hear some testimonials over how they sound compared to wetsounds and NVS. Does anyone know this?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-02-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
still waiting for mine too...... there has been one testimonial so far....
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-02-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I talked to Jason at Wakeside last Friday (the day my 450's were suppose to be shipped) and he said that the enclosures were held up in customs and the would be shipped out to customers by the end of this week. I hope this does not turn into last years situation with the Deafcons...I waited almost 2 1/2 months.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I talked to Jason also and he said that they should ship May 8th but on their site it says the 15th so they don't have to push it back again.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
I hope to hear more tomorrow, but I am replacing my Def 4's with either the 350's, but hopefully the 450's. Skylon sounded pretty confident that they would both be available in the next week or so. If I find out more, I will post it here. Loved my Defcons, but the Rubicons seem much nicer.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
We've had them at our shop for a while havent installed any 450's yet but i've been impressed with all models up to the 350's. I would say they easily sound better then their equivolent defcons, im not a fan of the style though. The new boxes look cheap, they arent they are realy soild, and over all look blah next to the defcons.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
david, have you had a chance to hear the 350's and the Addictions? If you have, what would you choose? I have a pair of 350's ordered, but that's a big chunk of change for the wrong thing.
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-02-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has the 100's (4) on his boat and they sound awesome. Can't wait to hear what the bigger ones sound like.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
Buzz, were the Deafcon's pro audio?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
David,

I looked at a pair of, I believe 250's the other day. They looked very sturdy, and the craftsmanship looked really good. In my opinion, they looked much niced than my Defcons quality-wise. Like I said, I am probably upgrading to the 450's. Hope to at least get a look at them soon. Probably won't be able to hear them anywhere, but am confident that with the whole revamping of the line, they are going to be very nice.

It's always tough being able to demo any speakers. I spend a good amount of time at the lake (a whole lot of time), and have yet to see a pair of NVS here, as well as Wet Sounds (I know they have not been out a long time). Sure wish there were some around so we could all check them out prior to purchasing. I will hopefuly have mine in the next couple weeks. Always happy to give someone a listen if they are interested.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm glad someone started this thread, because it's something I've been meaning to do.

We shipped the first pairs of 350 and 450 speakers in the country today (I know Mike's set of 450s are on the way). Now that we have product to ship it should be no problem to fill all of our pending back orders. I know it's been a bit of a wait, but the end is in sight, and it would be a shame to bail out at this point (that's my honest opinion as a wakeboarder and audio enthusiast).

The 100s are one of the most under rated speakers on the market, and I promise they will be more expensive next year, because they're really under priced for the performance and sound quality they're capable of.

I agree with Buzz, in terms of quality, detail and design, the Rubicon Series really excels, which makes them a great choice for the boat owner that wants uncompromising sound quality, in a light weight design that also looks really good.

We'll have 450s on our boat shortly, so anyone up here that wants to take a listen in person, let me know. That's really the only way to experience the latest crop of tower speakers, so we're happy to let you take a listen.

Jason
www.wakeside.com

(Message edited by s4inor on May 02, 2006)
Old    why_i_work            05-02-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
Waiting for mine also, A pair of 350's and a single 250. As soon as someone has them installed please let us know how they sound.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
Randy,

Yes they were. 8" driver and an HLCD for each side (Image Dynamics). VERY nice sounding speaker, and running them with one of my Zapco's, they were one of the best speakers I have heard on the lake. Comments all the time from other boats. I can't wait for the Rubicons. I have talked with Skylon, and Jason, about the changes that were made in the new design. I am very confident that these are going to be a huge leap in sound and overall quality. Wish mine were in the mail
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
This is great news. I hope mine are shipping soon!!!
I still have to decide how to power these bad boys and what to do with the rest of my system.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Jason,

Which "Mike's set of 450's"??
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Buzz, what zapco amp are you using? How do you like it? Does it run hot? I'm thinking about switching/going with the arc audio 2500xxk or one of the zapco amps to power my tower setup.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on May 03, 2006)
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
SWEEEEEET! If they get here (N. Cal) this week, I'll have them up at Berryessa this weekend hooked up to a PPI 4125. If anybody wants a listen, let me know. Thanks for the update Jason.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
For some reason I remember seeing on this message baord the skylon speakers where setup to show a 2ohm load on each pod? Maybe that was last year's model? Is this correct? Or are they 4ohm?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Adam,

I have been running a Zapco Reference 750.2 for my tower with the Defcons, since they run at 2 ohm. I was told it would run the Rubicons fine, but I may bump it up to another Zapco model if I need to. I have not had an issue with either of my Zapco's running hot, and they get a ton of use. I run a 1000.4 also. I am a huge Zapco fan. I really don't know a lot about most other brands, but there are plenty here who do.

Also, last year's Defcons were 2 ohm, the new Rubicons are 4 ohm (or 3?) as far as I know. Give Jason a call. He has the skilly.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
The nominal impedance of a speaker is not linear across the frequency spectrum, but last year's Deafcon series had an average impedance rating of 2 ohms (which was caused by a major design flaw).

The Rubicon's average nominal impedance is 3 ohms, but for conversational purposes 4 ohms is fine.

Jason
www.wakeside.com
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-08-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Has anybody heard these yet. They are still a few weeks away up here, and curious how they sound in comparison to NVS, Wetsounds etc

Jase
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-08-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I just heard mine are not coming until the end of May......
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-08-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
diggs, when did you place your order? I was told that they were filling the orders now. If mine aren't shipped until the end of May, I may go with something else. For that matter, same thing goes for the boat on order.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-08-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
My order was placed early March. They said they are filling orders and getting them in each week. They said they are going out in order and only getting small shipments now, but said end of March they are getting a big shipment that sounded as if it would ship all the orders?????
Hope that is true!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-08-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
diggs, if you placed your order in early March and you won't receive yours until the end of May, I'm hosed. I didn't put my order in until April 26th. I'll be way behind you. If that is true, looks like it will be the Addictions or Wetsounds.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-08-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Yeah not sure. He did say the shipment coming towards the end of May will be a big one that should fill the order.... I am going to hang tight for these bad boys.... I have waited long enough and it is not summer yet anyway.....
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-08-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yo Jason from Wakeside, please chime in and provide an update.
Old    steezen            05-09-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Hey all. If you want the Rubicons from Skylon and they are not delivering you should get the Fusion T-Series. It is the exact same speaker. They are made at the same place in China. Fusion has them in stock. They really are a good speaker.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-09-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
About the Fusions...I am not a stereo guy but Fusion does not have a setup with a horn does it?
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-10-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Has anybody recieved their Rubicons form Wakeside yet? I thought I was the "Mike" the 450's were going to, but its been over a week and they have'nt shown yet. This is turning into last years Deafcon wait. I guess I'll call Jason and find out whats going on.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-10-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
I just got off the phone with Jason. I ordered mine on 4/6/06 and I am 6th in line for the 450's. He "thinks" they'll be shipped by the end of next week. I don't blame Wakeside, there only able to ship what the get, but SKYLON NEEDS TO GET THEIR SH#T TOEGETHER. I waited 2 1/2 months for the Deafcons, I won't wait that long this time...there are too many other good companies with far better customer service!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
I hear you giddy up. I'm ready to switch my order to the Addictions. If I would have known that Skylon operated this way, I would have ordered the Addictions from the start and would have already had them in hand.
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-10-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Got a E-mail from wakeside today they say mine are suppose to ship 5-22-06
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
hey Jim, when did you place your order? Just trying to gauge if mine will ever come.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
This is what I went through last year with the deafcons. I am now a proud owner of NVS Addictions and I will go with NVS for my next tower setup as well. Skylon left a bad taste in my mouth after all the the excuses and back tracking they did last year with the deafcons.
Old     (cartronics)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Ultimate Watersports in Rohnert Park, Ca has the 350's in stock now (northern cali)
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
I placed my order with wakeside 4-9-06.
My new malibu won't be in till June 16.
Ordered that 3 months ago
Old    steezen            05-11-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Hey Chris,

I can actually tell you what happened with the defcons if you are curious to know. Send a personal email and I will fill you in with the dirt.

Bryce
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
I'm the mike that they are talking about. Jason and the crew at wakeside got me the first pair. They looked incredible. You're not going to believe this, but I had to send them back. I have an 06 Xstar and they would not go on the tower because they hit the bimini. Also the clamps were not large enough for the Xstar tower. I think that they could be modified but I still have the bimini issue (we use it all the time). Jason, all I can say is thanks for letting me be the first, I was absolutely crushed. I know that these speakers are going to be in a league of their own.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-11-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
You would think that Skylon would have discovered this "error" before manufacturing? I would venture to say that the people that can afford new x-stars are the exact target market that will pay the price for a tower setup like this. IMO, These types of tests should have been performed on at least the big 3 manufacturers. None the less, sorry to hear about Mike.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Mike, I'm guessing you didn't even have a chance to fire those babies up, did you? I would have cranked them at least one time waiting that long for something that didn't fit. If the 350's follow the same suit, I can see a lot of returns going back faster than they were shipped.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
The Deafcons V's from last yeat did not fit on my '01 SAN Flight Control Tower either. The mounts fell right on the cross tubes. I actually had to drill holes in the tower to make them work. I'm sure there will have to be some fabrication to make the Rubi's fit if the mounts are the same distance apart. So it sounds like the Deafcons V's/Rubicons 450's don't fit(without mods) the SAN FCT and the Mastercraft X-star tower. Sounds like Skylon needs to do some more homework.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-11-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Time and time again it never ceases to amaze me with companies and there lack of due dillegence. Keep on making mistakes.....it's how I make my money
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, sorry it's taken me so long to get on this thread, we've been busy shipping speakers!

steezen- While a do agree that the T-Series combo are a fantastic speaker, saying they're exactly the same as a Rubicon (especialy 350 and 450) is a gross oversight.

Anyway, we're shipping product everyday, and while it's true some smaller shops may have one or two pairs in stock, we have a lot of previous orders to fill. We're doing our best to contact everyone and inform them of the situation, and we should be all caught up with existing orders in the next 10-14 days.

Anyone that already has an order in with us and is curious where things are at is free to give me a call.

Mike, I can't believe they didn't fit with your bimini! Did you call to arrange a return already? Let me know if you need me to set that up for you.

Jason
www.wakeside.com
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-12-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
Jason, yes they are on their way back now. I don't think you will have any trouble getting rid of them.
Randy, no I never fired them up. When we knew they wouldn't fit I did not want to hear them. That would have really added to my heartache.
Old    ldp            05-12-2006, 11:34 PM Reply   
I put 350's on my 06 X-30 last weekend and they fit perfectly. Unfortunately, I'm having amp problems so I can't tell you how they sound. Hopefully I can resolve the issue this weekend. Does anyone know if a Crossfire 400 watt 2 channel amp is enough to sufficiently power the 350 speakers?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-13-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Ryan, looks like your amp is rated at 100 watt @ 2RMS. The 350's are rated at 350 watt. Not sure if that's enough power. There are a lot of good stereo people on this site. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. What kind of problem are you having?
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-13-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
From when I talked to Skylon I was told that the towers, although rated at around 350/450 could do fine on 250/350 @ 4ohm.
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-15-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
I got a new message from Wakeside today.
I ordered my Rubicons on 4-9-06.
They stated shipping date was 5-22-06
Today they have now pushed it back to 6-16-06
I am sure it is not Wakesides problem as they do not have the speakers to ship.
Guess it is my problem.
All I wanted to do was buy some speakers!!!!
Well I might be going with the bullets!!!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-15-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Jim, what time did they tell you that? They told me at 6:30 EST that they would all be filled by the end of next week which would be the 26th. If they told you something after me, I'll call and cancel my order tomorrow. This is becoming
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-15-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
I originally ordered them 4-9-06
I got the e-mail today saying they were pushed back to 6-16-06 at 15:59
4 o'clock pm here in CA.
I just got a set of 100 for my illusion tower.
Maybe other models have differnt dates.
I only went with them because Jason said I would be happy with them. I wasn't trying to be cheap.
I have the Illusion tower and not much to put up there that looks good.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-15-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
I think that might just refer to the illusion... i hope so anyway cause I was told the last week in May also....
I am going to stick it out... after all it is not summer yet...
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-15-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
Jim/Randy-I ordered the 450's 4/6/06 and they finally arrived Friday night. You guys should'nt be that far behind me. So far, they seem to be worth the wait. They look great and are a lot louder than the Deafcon V's, unfortunaltey I won't be able to get on the water and tune them until memorial day weekend.
Old    why_i_work            05-15-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Jim what Rubicons did you ordered. I spoke to them today also and I was told the 26th also. I am waiting for a pair of 350's and a single 250, but not for an illusion tower. I did not get an E-mail yet.

Giddy how is the sound quality?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
Giddy, have you heard the Addictions also and if so, how do they compare? How many watts are you pushing to your 450's?
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
I ordered two sets of the 100. Jason stated that two sets would sound good. I wasn't trying to be cheap. I also told him I wasn't into making my ears bleed. If you have ever been in a boat for 6 hours with a stereo cranked up = a bad day.
From my expierences, don't plat it to loud to long. To loud = unhappy woman in the boat = not a good time
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Just cancelled my order thru Wakeside. The ship date got pushed back again. Skylon blows. Mighty big claim that they're} the state of the art tower speaker, yet you can't produce any product.
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
Randy
what are you going with?
I was considerating the fusions or bullets.
I don't want to put a big box on my Illusion tower.
Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-16-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have the addictions and with 400 watts to each one on my 05 SANTE with the rope at 70' back i can hear the music great! You can understand the words of music you have never heard and it is loud enough to get you pumped! The sound is similar to standing on my swim deck with just my cabin polks playing at a loud volume.

Highly recommend Addictions!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Jim, not really sure. Addictions or Wetsounds probably. I can't wait any longer to be delayed once again. I realize it's not summer for some, but I'm in the water every chance I get all year round. What's that they say about music soothing the savage beast.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-16-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Jim,

I just got the Fusions up ( thanks Ryan, Bruce & Stewart ) & am extremely impressed with all aspects including looks, fit, finish, sound, quality, customer service ( not to mention 2 day delivery time ).

The boat is in SR now but towing her home to Tracy in the next couple days if you wanna take a look / check em out...

LzyUpload
Old    ldp            05-16-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
If I did not receive them last week I would have cancelled my order as well. I must say though, the 350's sound pretty damn good! This is the only pic I have, right before I got heated.
Upload
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Ryan, glad to see someone got a pair and they are impressive looking. How many watts are you pushing per channel?
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Both the Skylons and the Fusions look great.
The problem is the only Fusions that fit on the Illusion tower are the cheap 5.25 in speaker and
The Rubicons I can't seem to get!!!!
Maybe I might go with the Bullets.
I'd like to hear those Aaron I'll give you a call.
Old    ldp            05-16-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
Not enough, I have a 400 watt Crossfire pushing both speakers. I can hear the music while boarding but to push the speakers to their true capabilities I will need more power. The speakers sound crisp and thick. The 8" speakers give them a deep sound while the horn provides needed clarity which gives the sound a great balance. We were at MTV Cove last weekend on Pedro and there were about 30 other boats rocking their stereos, as I swam far away from my boat I was still able to hear my speakers. I'm sure most of you know what that’s like, a ton of boats tied up all playing different kinds of music really loud. So, competing with so many other boats and still able to hear my music was a good test.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-16-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Randy/Greg...the sound quality and volume are incredible. I'm running a PPI4125 (500w/side) and standing at riding distances behind the boat its super loud. On the back platform, its uncomfortable if cranked. I'll post some pics this weekend. Sound quality and quantity are pretty objective...I'm going to get a hold of Mikeski (who did the NVS Vs Wetsound comparisons) and see if we can get a real comparison w/ a meter and same power. If anybody in the area wants to hear them, I'd be more than happy to fire them up.

(Message edited by mike_t on May 16, 2006)
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-17-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
If anyone wants the Rubicons now, click on the link below. Not sure if they have all the models but they do have some 350's.

http://www.marine-products.com/towers/speakers/rub350.jsp
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
and marine products is based out of utah so u know its good
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update Ryan. Get them dialed in and I bet they will smoke.

I know many (OK, maybe not many, but some) more have been shipped out. Let's hear from some others.

I'm still working on getting a pair in place of my Def4's.