Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-05-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I'm starting to think about winterizing my boat for the offseason. I'm having a friend help who's done other inboards before but not the 351PCM specifically. Could anybody give me a quck rundown on what all hoses and plugs need to be addressed. Also, a clue as to where the impellers are on these things would be great too. Any other useful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old    outnumbered            10-05-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
When I used to live in cold country, I would just run biodegradeable antifreeze thru the motor until it comes out the exhaust.

Use a 5 gal bucket filled half with straight antifreeze and half water.

Use your fake-a-lake or direct flush with TWO garden hoses hooked together from the faucet. Run it until the boat is warmed up and be sure water is coming out the exhaust. Make sure it has a good seal if you use the fake-a-lake.

Again, use TWO hoses hooked together. Submerse the connection of the TWO hoses in the full 5-gal bucket.

WITH THE BOAT RUNNING and the HOSE WATER STILL ON unscrew the hoses UNDER WATER so that the suction begins to draw the mixture from the bucket down. If it does not begin drawing down the bucket mixture kill the motor immediately. Good to have a buddy help you but I have done it alone many times. It should start to suck the bucket down pretty quick. Keep the suction hose submersed while you get ready to kill the motor. Suck all the mixture thru (don't let the impeller suck air) and you will have a motor with every nook and cranny filled with antifreeze. Its easy, no plugs to pull, and its good for the motor because the antifreeze has rust inhibitors. I did this for years and it works far better than pulling plugs and hoses. Good luck.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
You also should do the following:

1) Put fuel stabilizer in your fuel tank to keep the gas from breaking down over the winter.

2) Fog the carb while running with storage oil. I also spray some down each individual plug hole.

3) I will usually change the oil and trans fluid at this time.

4) Loosen the hose clamps around the engine.

5) Spray the whole engine with a silcone spray.

6) Remove battery and prop open all compartments.

I now have the luxury of a semi heated garage, so instead of filling with anit-freeze and leaving it be, I will drain the block and manifolds...spray with silicone inside.
Old    outnumbered            10-06-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
Good points, I was thinking in terms of freeze protection. These are also must-dos (with the exception of the hose clamps--I never did see the point if you are using antifreeze)
Old    fun9c1            10-06-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
All good advice so far. I also unhook the speedo tubes at the speedo and blow all the water out of them, loosen all the belts and remove the impeller. When I put the impeller in in the spring (whether it be a new one or the old one) I smear it with grease all over before I put it back in the housing.

My method of filling with antifreeze is similar to John's I think, but a little different.
1. Drain the water and fill with proper mixture of biodegradeable antifreeze.
2. unhook the hose at the top (upstream) of the tranny cooler (impeller suction)
3. Put a 5 gallon bucket on the fender of the trailer, run a rubber hose (1") from the bottom of the bucket to the tranny cooler. I cut "notches" out of the suction side of that hose so it's impossible for it to suck itself to the bottom of the bucket, and I also drilled holes at the top of the bucket to zip-tie the hose to the bucket.
4. Fill the bucket with proper mixture of AF and start 'er up. When it's close to empty, fog the motor and kill it before the AF runs out.

I can't believe it's that time of year again... :-(

(Message edited by fun9c1 on October 06, 2005)
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-06-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
Thanks guy, can anybody tell me where the impellor is located on these motors?