Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    trout            07-18-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
hi guys. I just got my first boat. I got a new bayliner175 (yeah, i know...but im married and this is the boat my wife agreed on ) anyways, we used to motocross...me, wife and daughter until last year when wife became pregnant and we had a new baby. I sold the bikes and was looking for a good family activity that the we could all do together even with the baby....so we went with a boat.
eventually we will get a bigger boat, probably not a wake boat - we boat in the innercoastal and sometimes rougher waters, coastal rivers, etc...all salt water.

anyways, i picked up a cheap board this weekend and we gave wakeboarding a shot. Holy cow! what a blast. my daughter and i surf and skate some but this was the coolest thing ever. not as much of a rush as motoX but eventually i think it will be when we get better.

Anyways, just wanted to say "hello" & check this place out. Im also trying to figure out what board i should get. The one i got was a cheap hydroglide, but it worked and i got up on 2nd try. I'd like to get a 'real' board soon. any good recs for an entry level decent board that I can grow with? also, Im being pulled from ski eye, no tower, would a 60 ft or 75 ft rope be best?

thanks yall. any advice/tips/comments would be appreciated. i know my daughter and I will be doing alot of boarding this summer!

Old    trout            07-18-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
also...where should i set the trim for boarding? I usually have it all the way down most of the time for the chop, unless chop is big that day. In the river where we board its not choppy though, should i put up the trip some and plow through the water?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new hobby...you are gonna love it.

IMO start with a short rope that you can even attemp going W2W,that will give you the adreneline rush to go bigger and at that point you will know best....Also eventually go as far out as possible where you still have a nice shape to the wake.to me 70' to 80' is Ideal on any boat.

as for the trim....play with it and make it to your prefferents.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on July 18, 2005)
Old    trout            07-18-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
what about fins? the cheap board i have now has a front and rear fin. Should I take them off or leave them on?
Old    trout            07-18-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
here is what i found on the cheap board i got...

Hydroslide Blade wakeboard has a C.R.I.M. molded urethane core and PBT top with sublimated graphics. Lightweight durable design features fiberglass reinforced edges. Quad channel bottom. 142 cm (mid 40.5cm, tip/tail 20.5cm, rocker 5.7cm) Mounted with standard adjustable bindings. Bindings fit men's sizes 5-12.

Will I notice a difference by switching to much better board?

I weigh about 180.
Old    team909            07-18-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE AND BINDINGS ARE KEY MAN!! GOT TO GET THE SUPPORT ISSSUE UNDER CONTROL

i ride the hyperlite belmont 136 with hyperlite highback bindings gonna cost some ching but trust me its worth every penny

keep rippin!!
team909 ps. you are right though i love wakeboarding but its doesnt compare to hittin a 80 foot triple!!
Old    r_dub            07-18-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
For the question of, where should you have your trim? That question doesn’t really have a correct answer, because it depends on the hull/shape, weight in the boat, and even water depth.

Basically, mess with the trim until you find the biggest CLEAN wake. Clean means, no white wash and no curling over. Basically you want it to be a nice smooth transition all the way up to the crest of the wake.

And for rope length, that depends on your boat also. Hell if I was riding at 80 feet behind my boat, I would be riding rollers or missing the wake all together.
Yes, it is true that the shorter the rope, the shorter the distance between the wake, and that may be best to start out in some cases. That will definitely help with your confidence. But point being, don’t get caught up on what everyone else is riding.
Good luck, and have fun!

(Message edited by r_dub on July 18, 2005)