Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    rebeldog            07-13-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
ok guys I'm a Newbie never straped on wakeboard before nor a pair of skis although I have tubed! I have a Sea Ray I/O that I will be learning how to wakeboard behind before I spend 40,000 for a new boat. here lies the problem I'm 6'4" 350lbs is this gonna cause a problem with me learning or trying to wakeboard? any suggestions on boards,should I put a tower on my boat or just board off of the loop on the back of the boat? any help would be appereciated!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
as long as your knees hold up...no problem!!

yup get a tower or if you are gonna get a new boat soon,screw it and save your money.
Old    socalgrl79            07-13-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
*Hijack in progress*

Big Ed,

You're filling up my in-box with your posts today! How are you buddy?

-Amy

Old    rebeldog            07-13-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Wow my first post/hijacking thanks,Big Ed I think my knees will be just fine how about boards? what should I start with?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-13-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
One name-Jason Buffalow.

You'll be fine.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-13-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
Before you sink money into a tower I'd suggest learning how to wakeboard. The tower should be a step to progression, not a necessity to start. Unless of course you buy a boat with a tower.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-13-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
What size engine do you have in your SeaRay? I had a 135hp 4 cylinder in my old 175BR, and that little motor really used to struggle when we tried to pull up a friend of mine who is around the same size. It made it much more difficult for him to learn. I'd say as long as you have a larger motor, you should be fine with your current boat riding off the eye on the back. Once you've learned to get up and get addicted like the rest of us, then you can consider buying a tower or a new boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
I'm great actually.I got my internet hooked up at my new house and pretty much moved all my stuff in.

how about yourself??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Get yoself a Hyperlite Era 147. Jason Buffalow is about your size and he rips. You are not too big.

Big Shizzle....how's the new crib? Sorry I couldn't check it out, but I'm sure you understand. A brotha couldn't even walk after riding your wake.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
the crib is great.My dog is liking it better I too think.

Are you putting any weight on your ankle yet?

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on July 13, 2005)
Old    socalgrl79            07-13-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Big Ed,

Sweet! Hopefully you're enjoying things up north. I'm doing great! I'm going out of town to stay with my good friend for a long weekend, SUPER excited!

-Amy
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Good move. He'll adapt I'm sure. Just take him everywhere you go when possible.

Ankle is doing way better. I'm icing, heating, and exercising it twice a day. I can put all of my weight on it, and can balance on the bad foot. I could be riding in 2-3 weeks. Maybe wakeskating if nothing else.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-13-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
Why you gotta hijack the man's thread...

Welcome, Sammy. I know guys who are mid 200's that ride, but above that it is rare. It's totally possible though, so don't get discouraged.

Get the biggest board you can find. I'm not sure, but I think the biggest I have seen is a 148 cm. Make sure you have a newer non-stretch rope. The HP of your SeaRay is somewhat of a concern...the only way to know for sure is to try!

When you are trying to get up you want to stay balled up until you pop up onto the surface and then slowly stand up once you feel you are going fast enough to plane. You want to make sure the board is at an angle to where it can ride up onto a plane - you don't want to "push" too much water, but more or less want to keep your back foot tucked up under your body and slightly extend your front foot. This will allow the board to ride up out of the water and if you stay over top of it and don't let the boat pull you over the front or lean too far back you'll be riding.

It's great excercise and fairly demanding physically, but not too demanding - maybe, equate it too light jogging.

BTW, I would just go off the "loop" on the back for now, provided that it is an acceptable towing hook for someone your size.

Go for it and good luck.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
Amy ~ Good friend huh??Long weekend huh??SUPER excited....NICE!!!have fun

J-Rod ~ I'm not sure how good of a move you're gonna think it is when you experience the GOLDIE EFFECT on the boat.
That's awsome,but are you sure you wana wakeskate?Man I just know people that hurt themselves more on that thing.WAKESURFING maybe??
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
If you are looking to get started and don't have a board yet, I have a Hyperlite Element 146 from a few years back that I would let go for pretty cheap, but if you are pretty serious about boarding and have the money you may want to buy a newer board like the aformentioned Era 148.
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-17-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
Big Ed, Go for it...I am 275lbs and board all the time....I would get a board that is really wide to help you get up...You really need a boat with a big engine and a tower will help with the ease of pulling you out of the water...Once you get up you will be hooked...good luck
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-17-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
oops....sorry sammy...that post was for you