Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (miles_long)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
ok I am adding four speakers to my tower and i want to also add a sub to my existing system. I have a 05 X2 and the stereo sounds great but I want a sub and some tower power....
I need 100x4 @ 4ohms and up to 350 for the sub, i have looked @ 5 channel amps and cannot find one that meets these specifications.
So, do have to use two amps???
And if i need two amps do i need another battery so that i don't toast the one i have while i hang for and hour or two with the motor off.
All input would be greatly appreciated.
L8.....
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-25-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
A four channel amp should do the trick, just run two channels to the tower and bridge the other two to the sub. Something like a Hifonics ZX6400 should do the trick. The net would be 85 watts per tower speaker and 340 to the sub.

Precision Power, Zapco, Phoenix Gold, Orion, are better amps but I can't hear the difference so I saved the bucks, although they might last longer.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-25-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
hifonics are stout and cheap. I just put the ZX8000 five channel in my boat, running the sub and the boat speakers. You could use that one and have two channels running two pairs of boat speakers paralleled, 110 @ 2 ohm and the mono sub channel running one or two subs 300 watts down to 2 ohm, then you'd still have two 110 @ 2 ohm channels that you could run tower speakers off of or more boat speakers, whatever. These amps put out what they say they will, I haven't run mine wide open for an extended period yet, but at half volume it barely gets warm.

It would be wise to add another battery and a relay, switch or isolator. Just for peace of mind.

definitely not white chocolate caliber, but some of us can only afford snickers, they're pretty good too:-)
Old     (miles_long)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Ok, maybe I am just a dope but this whole 2 or 4 ohms thing is F'ng me up. All i know is that the two cans I bought with 2 speakers each call for 100 watts @ 4 ohms for each speaker. By only running two channels to four speakers does that change the ohms or wattage to the speakers??
Then bridge the other 2 channels to the sub??
Is there a web site with some info to school myself?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the ignorance.

L8
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-25-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
A decent webpage.
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_3.html#SEC35
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-25-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
You are not a dope, it's confusing.

If I had your system I would run the ZX6400 as follows:

CH 1 + to Left front + and Left rear +
CH 1 - to left front - and left rear -
CH 2 + to right front + and right rear +
CH 2 - to right front - and right rear -
CH 3 + to sub +
CH 3 - NOT CONNECTED
CH 4 + NOT CONNECTED
CH 4 - to sub -
(I don't have the manual in front of me but I think this is the proper connection for bridging channels 3 and 4)

This will provide a 2 ohm load on channels 1 and 2 and a 4 ohm bridged load on channels 3 and 4, which is the same to the amp, maximizing the amp output with a balanced load. The tower speakers will see 85 watts each and the sub will see 340 watts.

The five channel amp will add some control if you have a fading input but it really won't add any power. Wiring it the Psyclone describes it provides 55 watts to each tower speaker (the current splits between the speakers, nothing is free).

Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-25-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
www.bcae1.com
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Mikeski's got it down pat, but you also want to make sure that your amp will do 4ohm bridged (most will just fine, but I haven't read the manual) so you don't toast it sending juice to the sub.