Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about getting a full suit. I've looked at some in the recent Overton's catalog and I'm concerned about the stiching under the arms. I've heard that they have a tendancy to rip, as well in the knees. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer? The dry suit concept looks appealing, but about twice the cost.
Please chime in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
If you're riding in the winter, the drysuit is the only way to go. For starters, the drysuit isn't wet and cold when you put it back on for your second set. In really cold water, there's no inital 'bite' from the cold water. Check out the new wakeboarder magazine. There's a article with pictures on what to look for in a quality wetsuit. They cover all the different types of seams.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
you can find a new , decent drysuit for around $200. Drysuits are the way to go. I've been in $400 dolar dysuits as well as used $150 drysuits. They all will leak a little when you take hard spills.
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-04-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
If your looking for a wetsuit I would look at oneill, they make great stuff. I agree with everyone else drysuit is the only way to go.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-04-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
The drysuit is worth the extra $$.$$s When it's too cold to trunk it, go straight to the drysuit. Most of the baggy drysuits (I like the O'neill), you can pretty much wear whatever you want underneath, which means if it's not so cold, a T-shirt & board shorts, or if it's really cold, a heavy shirt, sweatshirt, thermal underwear & jeans.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on February 04, 2005)
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
Is the difference between the $400 and $150 that great. If they all leak don't you end up with aot of extra weight? How about finding a dry suit to fit my 6'4" 220 lb frame?
Thanks...
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-05-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
The only time my shirt has gotten wet is when I take off the top part and I pull the seal inside out. I have a bare ultradry and it cost around $300. Most companies have sizes xxs to xxl, and they have sizing charts to help. For you I would look at xl or xxl.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-05-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
I will play devils advocate...I have two drysuits and use an O'Niell Psycho wetsuit. After a set I am dry or have a dribble down the neck from crashing. Mind you I get more water in my drysuits. There are many benefits of wetsuits. More flexability being the largest advantage. There is a reason surfers use wetsuits.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-05-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Devils Advocate, as Destoryer of Evil, I have a hard time understanding how a wetsuit could be more flexible than a baggy drysuit. As far as taking in water, my experience with the O'Neill Boost is that I have yet to take more than a squirt down the neck, and that is even rare.

Surfers don't use drysuits because it would be pretty difficult to duck dive a wave with a baggy drysuit full of air, and the frequent board/wax/sand contact may wear through the suit.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
I have an XCEL 4/3( double stitched, glued and taped seems) that I use to surf in. Water temp usually around 50-60 give or take depending on the season. I have also used it the Delta with 55 degree water. I have never had an issue with being cold except when you take it off and get hit with wind. It also sucks to put a cold wesuit back on in cold weather. I have used dry suits and didn't care much for them. They seem a bit more cumbersome and I don't like the feel around my neck. The plus to the dry suit was you can wear anything underneath it and when you take it off you are dry. The dry suit also protects you from pollutans in the water where a wetsuit puts them right up against your skin(only matters if you are in dirty water). As far as flexability most wetsuits designed for surfing have an extra panel in the armpit area to make it easy to paddle. If you don't want to spend alot of money check out this website (www.surfingsantacruz.com) I have seen both wetsuits and drysuits for sale and trade.
Board More/Work Less
J$
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
Bruce, I'm 6'3" and have been 220lb, I'm closer to 190lb now... Anyways, an XL dry suit from Wiley's has treated my right size wise.

I'd check Wiley's and Adrenaline

http://www.wileyski.com/

http://www.waterskideals.com/

Their drysuits are made by the company, so pick up which ever one is cheaper. I think that you can get an XXL for an upcharge.

We ride year around in the Seattle area. Tend to go from shorts to drysuit and then back to shorts. We ususally only wear a wet in the spring and fall mornings to take the edge off. Keep in mind with a baggy drysuit you can layer under it for a wide range of temps.
Old    howie            02-05-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
Hey man I rode wetsuit last year, and if it weren't for the hot dam and hot coco. I would have quit. 45 degree water just sucks. This year I looked into better wetsuits or drysuit man hands down drysuit I have an oneil and again like posted earlier a good spill a little water in the neck. I also ride with two guys who have the bare ulta grizzly sports has them for a super deal 250.00. But man if you want a wetsuit jetpiolt has one I have hear nothing but good things about. Never tried it but the local board shop said it is good. I would look at oneil always have had the best. Drysuit when you put it on you float man so much air. as for size i have an XL I an 235 and a have shared it with some one 64 and about the same size as you fit really good. oneil boost I have but look around bare is good also. just two cents
Old    upupnaway            02-06-2005, 6:10 AM Reply   
my lady and I use the oneil drysuit, and it works great. We started riding in Illinois on april 7 last year, about a month and a half sooner than we could have with just a wet suit.

Your life vest will keep the the suit tight around your trunk, and leave it really baggy around the shoulders, arms and legs, giving you a suprising amount of mobility.
I feel more restricted in a wetsuit than a drysuit.

Old    clubjoeskier            02-06-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
Get a dry suit...

Wet suit is designed to let water in, and allow minimal (not none) circulation. Your body heats the water layer inside. I own a custom made, skin-in wetsuit, so I had maximum mobility with mine, and no extra room for water circulation.

Get a drysuit...

If you gotta get a wetsuit, see Mark Kettenhofen, at Kettenhofen Custom Wetsuits, in Orange,CA.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-06-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
Here is another thread that talks about drysuits and wetsuits. Read it, there is some good info.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/189098.html
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-06-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Peter, I read your posts on the linked thread, and they are most informative.

Due to my own personal experience with wetsuits and drysuits, I'm still for the drysuit.

Another added bonus of a baggy drysuit: When you crash, your airbag goes off (crashes not as hard on the body).
Old    wakegal02            02-06-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I currently own a wetsuit. A drysuit seems like the way to go it you have the $ but one my concerns is my toes. Sure your body is nice and toasty but your toes are left out in the cold. I've seen the socks you can wear but do those really fit into your bindings? and won't they hurt your riding ability???
Old    bradey_132            02-06-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
XCEL wetsuits are amaizing the glued long sleeve shorty best wetsuit ive ridin stretchy and very warm ever had a complaint. i wear that at the start of the year instead of a dry suit
Old    trickskisrock            02-07-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Personally, I hate drysuits. The feeling of being in the water and not getting wet at all never felt quite right to me. Not to mention, the neck seals make me feel claustrophobic and choked. Get a good quality wetsuit like an Oneill Psycho X2. They are expensive, but are built amazingly and are super comfortable. They will keep you real warm as well. The new neoprene materials in the Psycho's are so stretchy that you can buy a full 4 mil suit if you're going in real cold water (sub-50)and be fine without sacrificing any flexibility. I've had an Oneill Zen Short Zip for 4 years now and have loved it, although I think I'm going to upgrade to a Psycho X2 this year. As for the issue of wet wetsuits for the second set, I either pour hot water in the wet suit before putting it on or use a second wetsuit.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
I rode in the delta with a wetsuit all winter last year. It was an O'neill 3:2. I didn't take it off between sets, and that helped keep me warm between sets. I think I got it for about $100 new. I think the coldest was 78 combined temp (water and air), with the water being mid/upper 30's. The O'Neill was stitched, then glue reinforced. I made sure I didn't just yank it on, I gathered then pulled on the arms and legs, and never had any problems. I didn't have any problems with mobility either. Just my $0.02
Old    hundo            02-07-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
The water at folsom is below 50 and the Psycho2 4/3 you don't feel any cold at all. We also ride are Seadoo's with them and after riding for a half hour in the fog 40 degrees/ 49 water temp you need to jump in to cool off. I tried the drysuit on and thought I was going to choke to death , too tight for me.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-10-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. I haven't made up my mind but it's nice to know as much as possible when making a decision. I'll re-post when I decide. Not that anyone cares, but WTF, it's a discussion board, Man! (Howie)