Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                01-10-2002, 5:56 PM Reply   
Do any of you guys ever wuss out when doing a trick? Like when I try and throw my backroll, it takes me like two passes before I can muster the courage to throw it and when I do throw it I rotate perfectly but throw the handle right when I land on my feet. If you do go through this, what do you do to fight this fear? Thanks,
Ken
Old                01-10-2002, 9:22 PM Reply   
Can't help ya. "Girls" don't wuss out. lol
Old    wuss factor            01-11-2002, 5:13 AM Reply   
You will get over that,i used to bail on attempts when first starting out.I found that over thinking just screwed it up and hesitation made the fall worse .I realized most of the fear(wuss factor)was really mental and i didnt like to look bad more so of not wanting to get hurt.people naturally dont like failure and i think its more that for me then anything.Nothing like passing a few awesome boats with sick riders on them and getting worked on a simple backroll to bruise the old ego.

Now i just take a few cuts at the wake and them just huck it up there the first few times to see how it feels and if i think its possible then i put in some time and throw it a few times each set until i get it..Or not:)

Bill
Old                01-11-2002, 9:20 AM Reply   
It happened to me... the wuss factor thing... I couldn't even try an invert without getting scared as hell... I've hurt myself quite bad... and realised that hesitation made it worst, like bill said... I thought to myself, It's just water anyway... I ended up the season trying backrolls, TS and HS, front rolls, scarecrows, and landing tantrums... this is all mental... go through it and you'll be laughing at yourself later...
Old                01-11-2002, 4:05 PM Reply   
Bill is right, it hurts more to wuss out than if you go for it, dont believe me?? try wussing out halfway through a raley.
Old                01-14-2002, 9:09 AM Reply   
That is the worst thing, wussing out halfway through a raley... except for wussing out halfway through a 313, blind judge, or batwing to blind... those would totally destroy yourself... but since I'm not there yet, it doesn't haunt my dreams right now...
Old                01-14-2002, 11:16 AM Reply   
Comittment is a key in learning any new trick - espicially the Raley. I didn't WUSS out but the Raley takes some practice...... Compare the photo below to the profile pic ~lol~ Damage COntrol..

raley

-= peace =-
Old                01-14-2002, 3:07 PM Reply   
Do you guys think that just taking a break for like a week or so helps to get over the wuss factor? I used to have that for my ollie 180's cuz I always caught my edge but I did school stuff for a week and couldnt ride. But when I did go out and ride again I was totally over it. Joe, I feel ya man! I got K.O. on a backroll to toeside face plant. Thas probably why I'm such a wuss! Anyway, Thanks guys for all your help and keep posting!
Lates,
Ken
Old                01-14-2002, 3:20 PM Reply   
Ken,

go to your local body building supplement store and ask for a supplement called "adrenalin"
take one of those and you will be over the wuss factor!

Have fun!
Old                01-17-2002, 7:39 AM Reply   
Go to your local beverage store and ask for a beverage called "beer." This also helps!
Old    works even better w/chicks watching cuase you try to be a pro            02-11-2002, 5:32 PM Reply   
to get over it, get a lot of friends in the boat, and that way you can't wuss out. (works even better w/chicks watching cuase you try to be a pro) but then just do a run that you arent scared of and use that to get pumped up, then out of nowhere without thinking too much, just throw a raley or something. It worked for me on my raley, i used to back out when i was hitting the wake (already too late) and it would hurt like hell, so just go for it. good luck, peace.
Old                02-11-2002, 11:29 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, sounds like some good ideas! Only trouble is I'm not gonna be wakeboarding for a while- just driving. Turns out I got some fractures in my lower spine from playing basketball therefore I can't wakebaord for the rest of the year and might have to wear a brace for six months, 23 hours a day. Looks like I might be needing a new playstation 2 or X box! Hook me up!
Thanks,
-Ken
Old                02-11-2002, 11:30 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, sounds like some good ideas! Only trouble is I'm not gonna be wakeboarding for a while- just driving. Turns out I got some fractures in my lower spine from playing basketball therefore I can't wakeboard for the rest of the year and might have to wear a brace for six months, 23 hours a day. Looks like I might be needing a new playstation 2 or X box! Hook me up!
Thanks,
-Ken