Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
I'm helping a friend with a new ballast set up for his 03 x-star. His old reversible pumps (I assume they are the stock Jabsco) are on their last leg.

Should I have him:

- replace the 3 Jabsco pumps with 3 new Jabsco pumps

- replace the 3 Jabsco pumps with 3 new Simer pumps

- replace the 3 Jabsco pumps with 6 new Tsunami aerator pumps

If he goes with the Tsunami pumps, will that present some difficulty in wiring them up since he will then have separate fill and empty pumps? How would you wire this?

Thanks!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-29-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I like impeller pumps, but they sometimes have priming issues and need to be installed below water line for the fill and below the ballast for empty.
Old    vanski            03-29-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Flux do you mean aerator pumps? Pumps usually associated with impeller pumps are self priming and can be mounted above the water line. Aerators on the other hand needs to be below the water line.

Wiring is easy David if he goes either route. Buy a three-way rocker switch and follow the directions. If it is not clear, I would do a search and see if someone has a diagram for him to see. BTW, I have a Jabsco pump and changed out the impeller with a plastic one. The original impeller someone sticks when it's dry causing the pump to refuse to turn. I thought it was on it's last leg, but a thread on WW recommended upgrading the impeller to a plastic one. Good Luck.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-29-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
DOH!!! Yeah, i meant aerators. I am sorry, trying to help and I completely confuse things by being a dumbhead.

Yes, the aerators must be located either below the waterline for the fill or completely below the ballast for empty.

They are pretty reliable and you can run them dry without worry. I have them in my 02 SANTE, they were stock, they have low amp draw and are fairly quick. Small size too.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
The 3-way rocker switches are already installed as the ballast, wiring, switches, and 3 pumps are all stock and still in place.

Maybe I'll just recommend (for starters) that he get some plastic impellers for the existing pumps since they're only $7-8 a piece...
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
If he traded out to aerator pumps, how would the wiring go? Just splice into the pos and neg?

Is there a pos and neg for fill and a pos and neg for empty?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-29-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Aerators seem to be more trouble free over the long haul.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
How would the wiring change go from reversible pumps to aerators? Obviously there would be 2 pumps per switch with that set up instead of 1 pump per switch.

Anyone?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-30-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
IMO, you would be crazy to change from the original pumps if they still work. First of all, change the impellers. The new ones are yellow and work great. If the old ballast pumps are in decent condition, you can get them rebuilt at an alternator shop. The electrical motors are pretty easy to rebuild. The brushes and bearings are easy to replace. I bought a new pump to replace one of the old ones that the bearing went out on, rebuilt the old one, and now I have an extra on the boat at all times.

I think you are just asking for more trouble to rewire and replace 3 rev. pumps with 6 aerators.
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
The impellers for those pumps need to be replaced frequently, especially if you have the black rubber type. I replace mine at least twice a year because they wear down and start sticking. It sounds like the new yellow type are the way to go.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Does BE Atlas sell the yellow impellers for the original pumps?

Anyone have a direct link to buy that impeller?

Thanks for the help.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-30-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
david,

i have four aerator pumps running from two switches. if there is already several 3 pole 3 position switches in the boat, its a matter of wiring two pumps to the switch. i'm not sure how those wire up. if there is three poles on the switch, you'll be fine switching to aerators. if two ( i'm not sure how they work to reverse) then just replace the switch with a 3 pole 3 position switch. middle is ground, outside poles are for the pumps' pos lead. nothing to it really...

(Message edited by denverd1 on March 30, 2007)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-30-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
if you decide to go that way, let me know. its really simple
Old    vanski            03-31-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Sorry David, I can't remember how I wired my pumps, but just do a search on WW if you can't find an answer here. I'm with Byrd...If this was a brand new install, I would go the aerator route. If it's just the impeller needing replacement, then replace it with the yellow or blue impeller. Here is where you can get it in Sacramento area. They probably would ship if need be. Good luck.

Cope & McPhetres Marine - Rocklin (YELLOW IMPELLER)
4409 Granite Drive
Rocklin, CA 95677 USA
Phone: 916-630-8800
Phone: 916-630-8800
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-02-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Van and Byrd.

I'll give them a call. My buddy is in San Mateo so I might have him just head over to Cope's and pick up the new impellers.