Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-16-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
Looking at a 2008 Wakesetter 247 xti as well as considering the 2014 Moomba mondo. How bad will the gas mileage be on these? The wakesetter has a 6.2l Hammerhead 383, and the mondo would have a 5.7l 330hp indmar. I am used to a 3.0l mercruser 135hp....I am counting for a huge difference in gas consumption and have already planned for that, but I just want to know specifically how much of a difference it would be. About how many hours will it be of wakesurfing and wakeboarding before having to fill up?
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-16-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Budget on burning 5-7 gallons per hour for most wakeboats.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-16-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Eh, when owning a high-end wakeboat, gas consumption should be the least of your worries. From a 3.0 to a weighted 5.7-6.2, the difference will be gigantic. 5.7 vs the 6.2 will not be enough to notice.

You can go through 30+ gallons of gas in a day at the lake without even trying in both of those boats. A full boat load weighed down and I am at 40+ in a day.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
I would say good rule of thumb is a 20-25 min loaded(2-3k ballast) wake board set with about 5 falls you will use between 3-4 gals of gas. Load it up heavier or fall more you will obviously use more. Me and my buddy have started to religiously track ours and this is about what we use everytime with our 2 boats.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-16-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
Yup, You go through a LOT of gas.... Were around 30-40 Gallons a day 5.7 PCM 330.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
My last boat was a 3.0 merc and I would typically spend about 20 bucks a session. I now have a 5.8 and we use about 40 bucks a session. That's for about 3-4 hours of riding.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-16-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
okay good to hear...we have never kept track of how much the boat used so I wanted to see how bad the new boat would be. double isn't that bad, we were thinking that at least.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-16-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16igordon View Post
okay good to hear...we have never kept track of how much the boat used so I wanted to see how bad the new boat would be. double isn't that bad, we were thinking that at least.
Don't forget to account for the fact that you should probably use 89 at the least in that engine. Not sure what you used in the ol 3 liter
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-16-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
I've been using the local gas station on our lake which uses non ethonol. not sure what rating but I always see SAR's and supras filling up there so I'm assuming it is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-16-2013, 5:01 PM Reply   
I do not want to pit the Moomba VS Malibu here BUT you are asking the about fuel on a 24 footer w stoker motor with premium fuel requirements VS 20 footer with standard engine? The 24 footer is gonna use a lot more fuel especially if you sac it out

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 09-16-2013 at 5:03 PM. Reason: did not finish.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-16-2013, 5:29 PM Reply   
If you are pushing 6000# through the water to make a big wake you are still displacing 6000# and it is going to take some specific amount of power. If that power comes from a big or little engine it is still the same amount of power. It takes a specific amount of fuel to make that much power.
Any difference in fuel economy will be when you use the extra power and from the fact that the 247 is just plain bigger all the time so will always need some more fuel. You start off with more than 1100# of extra weight just in the boat and because it floats better it will need more weight to sink it for surfing. Bonus is that you now have a bigger and longer surf wake.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-16-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
We have a PCM 343 and we go through anywhere from 28-40 gallons a day when we are riding hard.

The comment above about gas being the least of your worries is flat stupid. We spend more in gas in one month than the 80k boat payment. If you don't consider that significant, then I hope to God you aren't in finance.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
You're spending over $1500/month in gas? Ouch!

Either way, if you think you can spend $80k on a boat, I don't think gassing it should be a problem. If it is, you probably shouldn't be spending $80k on a boat. Though with this mentality, it would probably eliminate a lot of boats that people have on WakeWorld.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-16-2013, 7:46 PM Reply   
Our boat payment isn't even close to 1500. We do spend about 600-800 a month in gas.

Thank God for the winter break, or we'd be broke

Last edited by CarZin; 09-16-2013 at 7:49 PM.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
If you've got a 10-15 year boat loan you probably shouldn't be making fun of someone's financial sense!

I wouldn't be surprised if some on hear do spend $1500+ month in gas.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some on hear do spend $1500+ month in gas.
guilty?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
We've gone over a grand in a week on vacation, so I knew someone on here would be over $1500 in a month.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-16-2013, 10:06 PM Reply   
Not too far off on gas consumption. We averaged 30hrs per month. At 5gph, that's 150 gallons per month @ $4 per gallon average month gas spending is $600
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-17-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
Guys, at 35, I likely have more money in the bank than the vast majority of you, four homes, two of which are paid for. Don't start thus ****. My boat is financed for 15, but is being paid for In 10. I have no desire to keep my boat more than 3 years, and saw no need to do anything other than essentially owe what it is worth. At 4.24% loan, I am earning more with my cash invested than sitting in a depreciated asset. While there are plenty of people on this board worth more, you are NOT talking to someone than doesn't know money. Try again.

My comment was spot on. You can get a 25 wakeboard that cost you a BMW car payment in gas every month. It is absolutely worth considering for most people.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-17-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
Not sure if this helps but back in 99 we had a bayliner with a 3.0L merc 135 HP. We would burn a tank of gas every 4 hours wakeboarding. The boat had to work so hard when we pushed it. We then jumped to a 2004 Tige 24V with 6.0l 375 hp. Granted the tank is twice the size (48g vs 25g), but we were now pushing the boat 10 hours before filling up running 4400 lbs of ballast. So we actually reduced our fuel consumption. Our new z3 with the PCM 6.0L will push up to 12 hrs on a tank with the pro ballast system and surfing.

Wakeboarding and surfing does not seem to be the big fuel user. It seems to be when you are cruising at 30 mph + that the fuel actually takes a hit. Anything below 24 mph and you just sip the gas.

I know the Malibu and Moomba are not known for great fuel consumption (We ride with a 23 LSV the odd weekend) as the Tige hull is, but you may be surprised that you will not be using any more gas. At the pump though you will put more out up front.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
If you are so rich you have 4 homes..an airplane or two...this that and the other, why do you need a 15 year loan? Also why would it possibly take you 10 years to pay it off? Also I'm curious where you have short term money that is paying north of 4.24%?? I know a few long term things that are paying more, but I'm talking way long term. If all your money is tied up there you are quickly going to have liquidity problems.

I'm poor and If i took a 15 year loan, even poor me could easily pay it off in 10. Thats only paying between 12-15% extra principal monthly. So about $40 bucks a month! Sorry Zin, but your logic doesn't sound like that of a multimillionaire to me.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-17-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
You are seriously lacking in financial sense. There are many financial vehicles that exceed 5% annualized returns. I suggest you speak with a financial adviser.

When cheap financing is available, you always use it. It allows your worth to stay liquid and if you invest the money, out gain any interest. It was a actually a key principle that was espoused by one of my college economics professionals.

Why do I want to take 85k out of the market that is earning 6+% (a lot more in the recent market, but I am talking about long term assets) and forgo the 2%+ earnings on my money? After 3 years, that is close to 6k in actual money saved by financing instead of paying outright. Common sense. So, I can make 2% or lose 2%.

I am definitely not a millionaire at 35. I am we'll positioned, and maximize what I have.

Last edited by CarZin; 09-17-2013 at 3:03 PM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
Heck I'm an accountant, a poor one at that, so what do I know. You own 4 houses, planes, boats, luxury cars, electric cars(just going off you past posts) and your not a millionaire. How is that. I own a very modest house for my area and if I owned 4 they would exceed a million in value. Then with my other assets I would easily exceed a million in net worth. Thats without any planes, or luxury cars, or 85K boats.

I also know that about 98.714891% of people who brag about how much stuff and money they have on internet forums.....have zilch. Like the rich guy who was going to buy my boat. Who like you had his money tied up making so much. So he asked about low rate financing. He asked if my buddy could hook him up with financing and we got him in touch with the right people. Dude was so broke he couldn't pay attention!!! He too had 3 houses and a lake home and a fancy car!! Just sayin'
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
Big money!!!!!!!
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-17-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
Believe what you want. If you are an accountant, and don't know where to get 5% returns, you must be absolutely total suck.

I live in a state that thankfully doesn't have outrageous cost of living. This makes me feel pretty good that apparent I have it do good others don't believe me. I used to be a plane owner. Got rid of it for the boat.

Last edited by CarZin; 09-17-2013 at 4:43 PM.
Old     (Steve_SN2001)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-17-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
My SN2001 has a 351 and running hard for around 6-7 hours burns up about 20-25 gallons with 1000 pounds of ballast plus passengers. Not bad really...but it is a tiny boat with a low horsepower V8.
Old     (jbach)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-17-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
Believe what you want. If you are an accountant, and don't know where to get 5% returns, you must be absolutely total suck.
Feel free to share your short term investment vehicle guaranteed to return more than 5%. I have cash I'd like to throw in something like that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   
^^Thats what I thought!! I know plenty of places to get 5% plus returns but they sure aren't short term. Also aren't liquid term like cash as Zin is implying. Being able to draw from your retirement or 401K to pay versus a loan isn't a valid argument. Having it somewhere that your going to pay fines to with draw it isn't liquid operate able capital either.

So yes, please share your short term investment options that pay better than 5%. Short term is defined as less than 12 months and a investment that does not carry a penalty by law for withdrawal in said period. With the exception of unearned interest, of course. Short term is considered same as cash because of that for Financial Statement and reporting purposes.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
My weiner is waaaaaaaaaay bigger than any of yours
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-17-2013, 9:45 PM Reply   
I think those small poodles are really yappy dogs and I'm not sure that taupe should actually be considered a colour.

I know, I just thought I'd contribute something.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-18-2013, 5:39 AM Reply   
Our old 210 would generally burn 5 gal. after 4 sets (15-20 mins)
.... putting in a 5 gal tank each day kept us even give/take.

This was with a new prop and ~2k in ballast
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
6.5 us gal/hr surfing. Epic 23V - 8.1l engine and about 4000 lbs of ballast. $1.26/litre up here (about $5/us gal). Some days I put more in the truck getting there, some days I put more in the boat when there!
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-24-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Coming into this late, but if I blow $150 for an afternoon of fresh air fun and lunacy with friends and family it's money well spent. What does it cost to take a family of four and the kids friends to Disney or some amusement park? That's my reasoning
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
True, but do you go to Disney 9-15 days a months for a 5 month stretch?
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-25-2013, 3:54 AM Reply   
No, but the last time we went it was like $400 for one day not including food. Not to mention the 22 hour drive one way and 7 days worth of hotels etc. kids are older now so we can use those funds for something else. So the gas replaces one vacation
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-25-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
I had a stretch where I was topping off my boat after every time we went out riding (not because I needed to), to see about what the cost was per set. With running around 1400lbs ballast in my 06 VLX with standard 340 hp monsoons. I recall it working out to be around $16 for 2 sets. Basically, I wanted to make sure I wasnt shafting my buddies by accepting their $20 for gas.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-25-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
I had a stretch where I was topping off my boat after every time we went out riding (not because I needed to), to see about what the cost was per set. With running around 1400lbs ballast in my 06 VLX with standard 340 hp monsoons. I recall it working out to be around $16 for 2 sets. Basically, I wanted to make sure I wasnt shafting my buddies by accepting their $20 for gas.
IMO your wouldn't even be shafting them taking 30 a set due to the fact that you are making the boat payment, paying to store the boat, to insure the boat, and to maintain the boat.

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-25-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have the 6.0 and have noticed the mileage getting better after break in, I am at 88 hours and it's gotten better over time. I have been keeping track from the very beginning and I am averaging 19.8L/hour or 5.23 US-GPH. This is usually running with 2500+ of ballast either wakeboarding or surfing.
Old    Paxdad            09-25-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:

I live in a state that thankfully doesn't have outrageous cost of living. This makes me feel pretty good that apparent I have it do good others don't believe me. I used to be a plane owner. Got rid of it for the boat.
A quick check of your writing skill indicates that your reply was written on the Flesh-Kincaid Grade Level of 4.0.

Who sucks now?? Thank God you sold the airplane.

Last edited by Paxdad; 09-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-26-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
We have a 343 pcm with 1600 lbs of ballast. We usually spend about $400.00 a weekend. That is riding friday night, saturday all day and sunday. I am not smart enough or patient enough to keep track of cost per ride or any of that craziness. I just tknow that gas is the biggest expense associated with our boat. We use to go to Disney about once a month and it cost about $600.00 for a day trip for my wife, daughter and I. Boating is where it is - just spend the money and have fun.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-26-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
A quick check of your writing skill indicates that your reply was written on the Flesh-Kincaid Grade Level of 4.0.

Who sucks now?? Thank God you sold the airplane.
Typos and autocorrect on my iPhone. But that's probably too hard for a numb nut for you to understand.

Haters gonna hate.

Last edited by CarZin; 09-26-2013 at 4:02 PM.
Old    Paxdad            09-29-2013, 5:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Typos and autocorrect on my iPhone. But that's probably too hard for a numb nut for you to understand.

Haters gonna hate.
I also use an iPhone and understand the fustration you must experience, while making yourself appear dumber with each reply. I may have seen your user name on Wikipedia under the example for "hypocrite".
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:

Haters gonna hate.
"... numb nut LIKE you..."
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-30-2013, 12:39 AM Reply   
Good to see a nice big of friendly banter. Theoretically our rich friend is correct re having a higher paying investment is advantageous, but that doesn't consider he probably pays tax on any income earned from his huge portfolio. Once that's considered you actually go backwards, unless you can depreciate your boat....... Guess not :-)

Anyway, i learned how to wakeboard on a pretty basic boat with a 115 Mercury. My Sanger V210 burns a little more gas wise, but not noticably.

Question for the masses as well. My mates and I normally take the Sanger out boarding. There are 5/6 of us and we have heaps of room. Why do you need a much bigger boat? The wakes not really a huge deal better, its more expensive to buy, run etc? I cant imagine there are many crews of 8/10+

Last edited by bwake; 09-30-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: edit
Old    Paxdad            09-30-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
I love my 210 SANTE! I consumes approximately 2.7 - 3.1 gallons per hour depending on the load and the distance/ rpm I operate it at.