Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-27-2009, 3:24 AM Reply   
I see where they added more Jr divisions and it made me think. Where and how do JR men and women train to get the pro rank? Are there special camps? Is there a place where you have coaches and boats and lakes with obstacles? Or do you just train with your buddies?

It seems it would be really tough for a non-Florida kid to break in. Not only do you not have the weather, you don't have a lot of peers riding at that level to help you get there. And where would you learn to hit a transfer box?

I know there are camps but at 1500 to 2700 PER WEEK- OUCH. Hats off to the kids that do make it, especially if they are from the North or other non weather friendly states.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-27-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
A good local boardshop can be a big help. My local shop (Water's Edge) has brought out Gerry Nunn several summers for clinics. They've gotten Murray out here and Lyman too, Rob Struharik is local and he's helped out, He judged one of the local contests a year back.
It's not as easy as it would be in Florida, We don't have 30 lakes in a 40 miles square radius, The weather only allows for 8 or 9 riding months of the year, and the wakeboarding scene isn't exactly in our backyard as it is in Florida. But that's no reason to complain. Kids blow up from up North all of the time (Although they eventually end up moving to florida anyways )

(Message edited by lakemiltonwake08 on February 27, 2009)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-27-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Roger- why do you think the professionals in our sport are made up of almost 90 percent of people that live in florida..... even if they were not born there or technically reside there, many people leave where they are from to ride in florida during the winter months and most end up staying there for a few years
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
roger,

to answer your questions... make friends and go to FL in the winter. Kind of. Yes. Yes. I know of people learning at GRC and O'Town.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Roger here is the break down for Jr's last year. 17 out of the top 20 riders ether live in Florida or spent conciderable time training there last year. Most get Pro coaching including 9 that trained with Glen Fletcher at O'Town. Shamless plug I know. Pretty hard for a lot of riders to train when their home lakes are still frozen over by Wake Games.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-27-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
And where would you learn to hit a transfer box?

At O town. If you have 5K
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
Wow Chris a little attitude? I guess as a builder you wouldn't mind coming over and and letting me use all you tools for free while I build an addition on my house? The transfer box at O town is a tool that they use to train there riders.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-27-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
As a dad of a non-florida resident rider we have spent several winter and spring breaks in Florida since 2004. Mostly working with Dave Briscoe, then at OWC on the cable for rails and obstacles. Phil has been to Gravity Research about 6 days to work on the transfer box.

Its pretty easy to see the difference between FL residents and non-residents when you watch the transfer box.

I believe Harley would have won the Jr Mens last year if he had more experience sliding. When he gets that experience he will be ready to compete for the pro-tour title. He showed how close he is on the Austrailian tour this year.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-27-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
The transfer box at O town is a tool that they use to train there riders.

And if you want to hit it, it costs 5K. Whats the problem? That's what it costs.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-27-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I agree with you George. I think Harley is going to be really special.I also think the obstacles were his downfall last season.

Owc tried to build a transfer box. It dragged on for over a year. Eventually it got cut in half and is now part of the cable park.
The people that ride at O'Town have a real advantage but how many people can afford that?
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-28-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
Youd be surprised how many people can afford that. O'Town is the best training ground there is for anyone trying to make it in the professional, or even super competitive junior ranks. Glens coaching, on top of that, is the best in the world and thats why top riders train with him. If you want to be serious about training, youre going to pay a serious price. And they deliver on every penny of it!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
The best wakeboard coach in the world is Mike Ferraro.And everyone he coaches is proof of that!!
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2009, 5:36 AM Reply   
It costs an arm and a leg to train anywhere. I don't think you can say which coaches are the best, it all depends on the rider, and who they feel comfortable with, and who they progress with. Lots of kids have aspirations of becoming pro athletes, but if you can't afford it, it won't happen.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
I will 2nd Mike Ferraro as the best WB coach .
I've watched him coach people at all levels, his attention to positioning is amazing and that's not just in wakeboarding but in trick & water skiing as well.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-01-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Come on, lets not get into a whose the best coach discussion, Coaching involves a perfect fit between rider and coach. I have seen some riders that don't connect with Mike and connect with Glen and probably vice versa. Its an overall package, both are great coaches, with different approaches to coaching. I like the overall package of Otown. They deal with the riders not only on the water but off. It is an absolute gift to be able to get behind the walls that some riders have built up in their heads and watch the progression that follows.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-01-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
I feel your pain about trying to give your kid an opportunity to compete when your not in FL. Bottom line, it is tough both financially and getting the water time. Both of those guys are great coaches and I know Austin has really benefited from their coaching. I know a lot of people hate the fact that they can't get time on a transfer box but I think it is brilliant business to build one and then train people on it. This is the way these guys feed their family and I think they should maximize their assets.

I do know a place where they have a transfer box and are having some jr riders come out to prep for the tour. It isn't very expensive but it is pretty limited. I can give out the e-mail cause I don't think there are that many people who are wanting to train for the pro tour. email gezbomo@aol.com if you want to ask them about it.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
I will say professional coaching in general makes a HUGE difference. I've had lessons here and there that hurt my riding more than anything with all the nonsense of "you gotta use your progressive edge man" which never helped me at all.
But I went on vacation to orlando and went to owc and due to complications with their normal coaches Mike Ferraro had to fill in a coach me and it was the greatest thing ever. I am a hardcore beginner with nothing but wake jumps grabs and a ts w2w 180 and within about 11 or 12 attempts he had me stomping backrolls. I def connected with his style of coaching as well as the language he used.
Professional coaching is AWESOME!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-01-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
OWC is awesome. Nicola became one of the best rail riders on tour and the only place she had practised on rails was on the cable at O'dub. Nicola owes all her success to them and to Mike especially.

Thanks David
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-02-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
So do you have to be a pro tour rider to hit the box?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-02-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Which box, Roger?