Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       02-26-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
All this rain here in Nor-Cal has me thinking about a trip we took last summer. We were out on the water when a thunderstorm passed through. There was some light sprinkling along with thunder and lightening. Do you guys leave the water when lightening is present? Stay on the water? We of course stayed on the water not know what the best course of action was but not sure that's such a great thing do to with a big o metal tower on top of the boat.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-26-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
we just usually head for the bar, tie up and go inside. when the storm clears, we head back out. but they are pretty short down here in the summer. usually have about one a day.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
yea i would imagine that if lightning were to strike the boat or water nearby when someone is in would not be too good
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
We head for shore. It's always my wife that says to go in first. If I'm out on my own I'm more likely to stay out longer.
Now, the statistics say that Males are 4X more likely to be hit by lightning that Females. I guess I explain some of that statistic.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
^^^^^^......HA HA HA HA.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Maybe boobs keep them from making a solid ground. I mean, it's possible, right?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Getting off the water and finding some sort of shelter, any shelter is better than none, so gazebos, covered dock, shed, or picnic shelters are better than nothing. Mostly need something overhead so the lightning will travel to the ground around you and not through you.

The first boat I bought was struck by lightning from PO. He survived but was in the ICU for a few days. The boat had all new electrical components when I bought it though. Lightning strikes are a real danger on the water.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
I don't think so but it is fun to grab them like dials on a radio and say something like "come in tokyo, come in tokyo"
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
"send more fortune cookies"
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-26-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
AtTheLake,

That is the farthest thing from the truth.. The worst thing you can do is all gather areound or under a small structure... Unless there is something much larger close by that would attract the lightning.. If it strikes the "structure" you are under... You'll bet you'll get it too.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Yep, even trees will get ya, if your resistance is lower than the thing you're standing under the lightning will arc through you to ground, and you won't be happy at all. Most likely crispy fried not happy.

(Message edited by jtnz on February 26, 2009)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-26-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Jos is right.. We lost several cows this same way.. Ole single oak tree in the middle of the pasture -- when a storm comes, they run for cover... Then dag-nabit, wrong-place, wrong-time...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
You can ground the tower and engine to the tracking fins. This gives you an easy path for the lightning to travel and should help protect the occupants in the boat. The only problem is that you now have the absolute best place on the lake for the lightning to leave from.
We need to find another Ben Franklin to test this and see if it helps or if it hurts.
Upload I have absolutely no knowledge on whether it would be a good thing to do, or a disastrous thing to do. Upload
Old    mendo247            02-26-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Ive often wondered the same question when the dark clouds roll over!
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       02-26-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
Get off the water. When I was younger we had some friends that were pulling tubes behind there inboard boat as a thunderstorm came over. An indirect lightning strike conducted the ski pylon. It blew out the ladies ear drum that was sitting next to the pylon and fried all the electrical in the boat. It also left exit star cracks on the gel coat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
I once was in an aluminum boat with a 10 hp outboard on a lake (Huntington) at 7200 feet elevation in the Sierra when a storm blew over the crest shooting lightning bolts all over I headed for the dock at "full speed" wwwwaaaaaah...musta hit 10, head down, when it struck the top of a tree on a little island I was passing about 80 feet up, I just kept her going and thought the end was coming soon...made it back and turned that little pos in early. scarey day, caught no fish. The Sierra is always good for a lightning show.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-26-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
The worst place to be is on the water where you are the tallest thing. Get to shore immediately. Seek shelter. Do not go near the only tall tree or other sole tall object.