Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wickedforce)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-07-2011, 2:43 AM Reply   
Good day to you all. I was fortunate to get my hands on a 2011 VLX. I ordered it with the Monsoon 350 with a high altitude prop as we are 2000m above sea level. We are using if for wakeboarding, skating and surfing. It has the bow ballast, midship(centre) ballast and rear ballast. Also has the hydrolic plate. I just received it last week and was hoping I could get some advice from you guys ito correct/additional ballast placement to get optimium wake.

I took it out on the weekend and the wake was good with all the ballast full. But I did not use the wakeplate at all. To what degree should I lower the plate to increase the height of the wake. Will it also increase the steepness? Previously I had an X1 which was alot steeper. We are running between 22-24mph on a 75-90 ft line.

On the surfing side, the X1 wake was super easy to get dialled. Although I did not mess around too much with all the options of the VLX I did not get any sort of surf wake what so ever. Very crumbly with no pocket at all. Do any of you guys surf behind your VLX's, and if so please fill me in as to how your weight your boat to get that ultimate shape.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Kyle
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-07-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
When you say wake plate are you talking about the wedge?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-07-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
It's all preference. On the "wake size" dial, I maybe tap it a couple times. 400lbs is all the way down, 1200 pounds is all the way at max. I keep it around 6-800 pounds if that. I also add 500 pounds of lead all over the boat. I'll add more depending on how many people but I usually have no less than 5 people and as many as 11 with the lead.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-07-2011, 10:44 PM Reply   
Kyle,
I have a lot of time in the 2010 VLX. I found the simplest solution was to keep one 750 lb. Fly High Fat Sac and a Fly High Tsunami Pump in the boat. Like Ryan stated... "It's all preference."

When wakesurfing we fill all factory ballast minus the non surf side. We place the Fat Sac in the rear locker and use the wedge to lower the bow which will increase the size of the pocket. We usually surf between 10.3 mph and 11 mph.

When we wakeboard we fill the Fat Sac in the walk way, fill all the factory ballast and put the wedge at about 90%. We ride at 75 to 80 feet back around 22.5 to 24 mph. Our speed varies since we ride on a river.

I have also loaded the boat up with a lot of weight and the wake was scary big. We had about 5 guys, 750 lb. sacs in each rear locker, 750 lbs. in the bow walk way and another 650 lbs. sac in the bow. Probably too much weight but we were watching Dean Smith destroy the wake so the water in the bow every time we stopped was worth it. With that much displacement we didn't need the wedge.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-08-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Depends on how big you want to go... That boat is hungry for weight.

I run.
full ballest - bow tank
1200# in the bow
450# each trunk
650# in the isle
sometime some on the floor
and full wedge

But it needs some more work on getting it dialed.
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-14-2011, 2:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwm View Post
Kyle,
I have a lot of time in the 2010 VLX. I found the simplest solution was to keep one 750 lb. Fly High Fat Sac and a Fly High Tsunami Pump in the boat. Like Ryan stated... "It's all preference."

When wakesurfing we fill all factory ballast minus the non surf side. We place the Fat Sac in the rear locker and use the wedge to lower the bow which will increase the size of the pocket. We usually surf between 10.3 mph and 11 mph.

When we wakeboard we fill the Fat Sac in the walk way, fill all the factory ballast and put the wedge at about 90%. We ride at 75 to 80 feet back around 22.5 to 24 mph. Our speed varies since we ride on a river.

I have also loaded the boat up with a lot of weight and the wake was scary big. We had about 5 guys, 750 lb. sacs in each rear locker, 750 lbs. in the bow walk way and another 650 lbs. sac in the bow. Probably too much weight but we were watching Dean Smith destroy the wake so the water in the bow every time we stopped was worth it. With that much displacement we didn't need the wedge.

not sure how you use the wedge to lower the bow.....it usually does the exact opposite. Its like placing a heap of extra weight right at the back of the boat.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-14-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Jarryd, I start with the wedge at 100% down and move it up to about 70% which in turn lowers the bow producing a larger pocket and a cleaner face. I use it to fine tune the wake.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-16-2011, 9:12 PM Reply   
I run 750's in the rear lockers, 1000 triangle in the bow and 600 in lead spread around under the seats, all on top of stock MLS ballast with no wedge. When we are only riding with a couple guys we'll throw in a 400 in the isle and another against back seat on the floor. I love this setup.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-16-2011, 10:49 PM Reply   
how does one become "fortunate enough to get your hands on a 2011 VLX?"