Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
That looks like it should work well.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       12-02-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
nice. looks like it'll work great as long as the pipes do not move
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-03-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
NICE!!!! here is mine. You might want to add some wood on the ends to keep the pipes the same distance apart. Really helps, plus they collapse all nice like the full blown metal ones you can buy for way too much money.

Upload

Got any video shots with it? Here is one from mine.

http://www.primeproductions.com/BORED_ON_A_SUNDAY.mov
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-03-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hah! I thought that the shot was going to be of the driver using a setup like in your picture...then I saw the Z4 and thought to myself "I hope they don't scratch the paint" :-) Very cool slo-mo effects.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-03-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Hate to be the party pooper... but why not just get a steadicam?
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-03-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Steadicams provide a different camera movement and result in a different aesthetic that is used depending on the final result of the film. Steadicams may be steady but still aren't as rock solid as a dolly. Plus the horizontal movement of a dolly will create a very awesome "parallax" of the foreground and background that if used in the right way can help subconsciously set certain moods and help tell the story to your audience.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-03-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Here is an example of a steadicam shot. I chose to use a steadicam because 1. we couldn't cover that much ground with track and 2. I wanted the camera to have a real floaty feel to it. As if the camera was the audience walking through this moment in time. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.primeproductions.com/THE_FEMININE_MYSTIQUE_LRG.mov

On a different note. I still want to see some of the shots that Joe got from his. That thing looks pretty sweet. I wish mine had a platform to stand on but sometimes its nice to get into tight spaces. Like the hood of a car.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
excellent comparison ryan! nice work.

i haven't shot with mine yet, though we did use dpc's dolly shooting the chick flick.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Just lurking here.. Can someone describe a "Steadicam"?

btw: Awesome ingenuity!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I just watched your Feminine Mystique, pretty awesome! Did all those people volunteer?

That technique seems very similar to the technique the TV Show "ER" uses.

I especially like the two couples arguing at the end.. An interesting piece of art there...I don't want to articulate the feeling into words as that's very limiting. I'll just leave it at I was moved by that scene.

(Message edited by yosquire on December 03, 2007)

(Message edited by yosquire on December 03, 2007)
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-03-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
I think ER relies heavily on steadicam movements. (I'm not a regular viewer of the show but I know what scenes your talking about.)

Everyone volunteered for the project. I have to give MAD PROPS to everyone that was involved. It was all created for the 48 Hour Film project this past summer. Basically it is a competition where teams have 48 hours to write, shoot, and edit a film. No preproduction work can be done (other than locking down equipment, locations, cast, and crew) Then each team has to draw a genre of a movie out of a hat and they are stuck to make a film in that style. I have always wanted to do a one take film so I figured, why not give it a shot. It was great to know that when we got done shooting I didn't have to rush off to the edit room. Actually got a bit of sleep this year. It was definitely a fun time though.

Back to your first message. You can check out some shots of the steadicam here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_regan/1488260858/in/photostream/

Its a rig that has a vest that you wear. Off that it has an arm that holds the weight of the camera which is balanced by the rod it is held on. Its a very fun toy. I love to shoot with them whenever I can.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-05-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I love you ryan taylor.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-05-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
me too!

I never thought driving through leaves would look so cool! ;-) btw - is that slow mo out of the DVX? It looks really clean if it is!

How many takes for the Steady Cam shot?
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-05-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
HVX 60fps. I ended up getting one. Great decision! Been busy with it ever since! It was the 11th take on the Steadicam shot. (though we rolled on the first couple of rehearsals) It was a very fun shoot. I can't wait to do one like that again. Doing a bit of steadicam work this weekend though. Should be exciting.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-06-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
Taylor there are rumors poppin up of 2 indoor rail jams, one at the Boat show the other in side the MOA we gotta get in on it. I think Fresh tip is doing them.

So for the thread Jacking.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-06-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
On it.