Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-15-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
So in February I took a pretty hard crash snowboarding on a 3. Ever since then, if I put stress on my lower back, for example jumping on a trampoline, I get sharp pain. It never was really that big of a deal, but with hockey season upon me (yes hockey starts in the summer) I noticed it was bothering me more this past week. Now yesterday morning I'm ready to take a run on the wakeboard (been riding since early May) and hopefully nail by backroll, and the impact of landing from a rather small wake jump caused really bad pain. The set lasted all of 5 minutes and I was done for.

I'm going to see a doc to get an X-ray on Monday; I'm just hoping I will be able to ride a wakeboard again this summer. Its the only thing I really look forward to all year, and in Michigan our season lasts all of 4 months. I'm also only 16 years old.

Anyone else out there experience back problems? I know knee injuries are more common among us wake enthusiasts, but any feedback is welcome. I'm just not ready to take up wakesurfing full time...
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
yea i actually get a sharp pain in my lower back every now and then out on the water or just chillin on land. it sucks. my friend broke his back a while back and he had to wear a back brace for awhile but hes wakeboarding now and as good as ever. so if anything is seriously wrong with you after a little break from riding you'll probably be as good as new in no time.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-16-2007, 12:19 AM Reply   
Chiropractor......They can get X-rays and refer if they think an m.d. should be an option. They also can suggest exercises and other forms of therapy to supplement. I waited till it took me about 5 seconds to stand up from a chair before deciding to see one. My first adjustment gave my mobility back instantly.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I second the chiropractor!
mine is fantastic
but....I have had some not so good ones in the past

my chiro can tell me to the year...what injuries I have had

he has resurrected my mobility several times

another thought

now that I focus my workouts on core strengthening, my back has gotten stronger!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-16-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
accupuncture is amazing
i moved my whole household and the next day could barely get out of bed, got to work couldn't reach out and pick up the phone...i was working for a chinese owned company and they sent me to the accupuncturist there in Fremont(china west) his name is richard chen he studied under the 7 doctors of chang chi chec? anyway i thought it was all BS there was no way a needle was going to help me!
i was unconvinced til i finally went and it was like a miracle, he said i had 6 vertabra out of alignment he had me straddle a chair and bend to each side , he push on my back a little and bend side to side again then put a needle in my ear, i had to reach up to feel if he really put it in me for 20 minutes or so while you listen to music ...gave me some chinese herbs and i walked out completely 100% "cured" as if it was never jacked up...

i have never been to a chiropractor in my life and have only had accupuncture that one time...
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
I've always had back problems. Half from genetics, the other half from wakeboarding. The only thing I found that helps is stretching and hit the chiro once a year.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
I knew a guy who had some minor back problems and thus will not go all out on the wakeboard, but once he tried a slingshot board he was airing it out into the flats as much as his skill would allow. those with back (or knee pains) should seriously look into them. They are great fun boards and super soft whether or not you have pains
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-17-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. Actually made the best of the weekend riding the skate a bit and learned some new stuff without killing myself.

Heading to a doc or chiropractor tomorrow so I will let y'all know what the deal is.

And sorry Jeremy I just got a new CWB
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
A good, experienced chiropractor will help along with regular stretching and exercise. Beware if your chiropractor can't quickly identify exactly where your pain and mobility problems are at. It is a sign they have no clue what they are doing and are likely to screw up your back even worse. A good one will quickly tell by both observation, x-rays, and feel exactly where your problem is and how to address it.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
x-rays may very well not tell you much. If you have a disc issue, it is only visable on an MRI. I had a herniated disc last fall with similar symptoms. For 90% of the population, they get better with rest. Then for the other 10% like me, surgery typically after the 12 week mark with little improvement. I had a discectomy last week of February and I am just now getting back on the board. Not trying to go big yet this year though.
Old     (tmills)      Join Date: May 2006       06-18-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have a terrible back from playing football in college.. (bulging/herniated disks..which by the way is what it sounds like you have. I wear a back brace everytime.. and it has been a life saver, now even if I case the wake, my back is fine. Here is the one I use..http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-schiek-2006-nylon-lifting-belt-6-inch--pi-1998058.html

The only other thing I would recommend.. I started taking yoga about a year ago after 2 days in the hospital.. It changed my life, now that I am more flexible, I the tricks don't do as much damage. (oh, if you need another reason..flexible, hot ladies in skin tight clothing.. )
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       06-18-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
I bought the same Schiek belt as Troy at Performance and now wear it anytime I ride or surf. Its not an absolute cure-all but I can tell its making a difference when I land flat or take that extra run. This one costs a bit more than a standard weight belt but the shape allows more movement.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-18-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Be careful with weight belts!!! You want to fix the problem permanently, not just put a band-aid on it! Weight belts are great if you are maxing out while lifting or doing something very stressful on your low back for a short period of time, but over time your body adapts to having it and your lower back and abdominal muscles atrophy and you are worse off then when you started.

My advice is to lay off for a month or so (just ride, no crazy tricks), rehab, and then see how it feels. The latest studies have found that almost all back problems will cure themselves over time, but they will definitely worsen if you rush back into stressful activities.

I know it will suck to lay off, but trust me, you'll be a lot happier next season when your back is feeling better. If your hockey team has a trainer, ask them for some good rehab exercises, if you don't, shoot me an email and I'll send you a bunch of stuff.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I wear a weight belt for boarding as well. It really works great. If you only wear it when doing stressful activities (wakeboarding, lifting heavy things) for short periods of time, your muscles will not adapt to it.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-19-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
ice releaves the pain,
I roll around on a softball,you know just a little bigger than a baseball,IT GETS THE KNOTS OUT.Iknow it took 21 years for the pain to go away{if you dont know a drunk driver JUMP THE CENTER DEVIDER and hit me @ 70 M.p.h.}
AND I'M GETTING MY STOKE BACK !!!!
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-19-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
erik -

Trust me, it is not a good idea to wear a weight belt every time you wakeboard. Your muscles will adapt to it if you wakeboard with any sort of regularity. Then what do you think is going to happen when you try to ride without one?

Take a break, rehab, then ease back into it. You will only hurt yourself in the long run if you try to push it too hard.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
I concur with Cade. Work your stomach out. It is really important. There are many exercises you can do to help your back. One that really seems to help me I picked up at The Wakeboard Camp. Hang on a pull up bar, or your tower. Pull your knees up so they are just touching your elbows and rotate your torso left and right as far as you can. Try to keep your back parallel with the ground. Once you master this try it with your legs straightened out.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
A lot of it is a matter of core strength. I think Lyle's suggestion for leg raises is a good call. Also try doing some deadlifts and other excercises to strengthen your abs, obliques and lower back. Chiropractors are also great and can get rid of stiffness in the back and neck from a weekend of intense riding. I'd have to agree too that a weight belt sounds like a bad idea, a bit of training and chiro and you'll be fine. I had the same problem from landing hard off big drops skateboarding and doing these few things totally helped.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
To some degree I understand the thoughts on creating dependence on something like a belt, but in cases where the choice is to use support on damaged parts that you know are not just a conditioning issue(knees, wrists, backs, etc.) or sit on the dock and watch, then my theory is use what ya can!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Thanks again guys for all the replies.
I saw a doctor today and got everything checked out. Basically he said theres not too much you can do besides take it easy for a while. I'm not going to strap on my wakeboard for about a month, I'll stick to the skate for now, and am starting physical therapy three times a week tomorrow. I'm also going to see a good friend of my father who is a chiropractor. The doc said I could continue to play hockey but avoid the intense weight training that goes along with it (squats etc.), and instructed me to take anti-inflammatorys and use heat on my back before playing.