Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-10-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Anyone know how the scene is in DC?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-10-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
www.dcwake.com
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Dave, sweet profile pic. You ride the DC area at all?
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-11-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
There is definitely riding going on in DC.
The Potomac River is good in the DC section.(certain areas) The further you go upstream into Md, the sweeter it gets.
Just outside of DC are the Patuxent, South, and Severn Rivers. There are also decent areas to ride in Baltimore. 4 hours north is Deep Creek Lake. A little over an hour south is Lake Anna................nuke lake with year round riding. Most of these areas are awesome during the week, and suck on weekends. As you get to know people in the area, you will learn where the good spots are.
Most of the DC riders are active on WW during the season. Mostly good souls ..........no attitude. Mostly.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-11-2010, 11:55 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, DC has this too..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stw81kiqrQM
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-12-2010, 6:16 AM Reply   
D.C. rocks except for the crowds. I just left in November after living there for 10 years. If I was going to live there again, I would get a Saltwater-friendly ride. Lots of untapped brackish butter around the bay. Definately hit DCWake. Some of the coolest people you will ever meet.

I'm in San Antonio now and waiting for it to warm up a little so I can hit the water. looks like some great water here in Texas too.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-12-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
I recently moved to DC as well, from MI. I am looking to find a crew to ride with when the weather gets warmer, I live in the Arlington area.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-12-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
DCWake is a very active site. The riders and boat owners there will always welcome another rider. Go to a season opener at Lake Anna. A: It's a blast and B: you will meet people to ride with. You will find different crews from Family-Oriented to Party Animals. So pic some friends, buy em some gas and ride-on....or offer-up some pulls if you have a boat.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-12-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
We need some fresh blood on the DCwake site. Its wintertime, but its been a little dead for a while. Dont be afraid to introduce yourselves...people will come out of hibernation...lol. Good people for sure on there.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-12-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Quote: Dave, sweet profile pic. You ride the DC area at all?
No Barry, I'm up in NJ.

John Hall, nice video! I bet I know at least who one of those foilers was :-)
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Dave, you would lose that bet. Put your money on knowing who one of the drivers was and you could cash in big! I'm in the driver's seat until May due to shoulder surgery.
FYI.........We will be having a season opener party for the wake boarders and a separate fly in for the foilers. End of March/beginning of April time frame. I'll let you know when we work out the dates. Hope you can make it.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-13-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Heya John,

How is that shoulder healing BTW?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-13-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Winch the reflection pool!
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
Hey Glen! The shoulder is tight...........no worries. Hope the new digs is workin' for ya!

Riley..............no reflection pool, but the Maryland University fountain has definitely been violated. We have pix!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-14-2010, 4:40 AM Reply   
Barry,

I live in NOVA and ride down at lake anna. I am in iraq right now but will be back in April. Hit me up sometime if you want to get together and ride. I store my boat down at Anna so i don't really ever ride anywhere else, but the lake is sweet.
Old    alanp            01-14-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
mike i sent you a message.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-14-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
The first time you ride the Potomac near DC you will get deathly ill for about a week. After that you'll be immune.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Deathly Ill that sounds like a good time.

Mike--Sounds good I actually head up to lake Anna every summer because my uncle has a place there. So even if I dont move Ill definitely hit you up, and feel free to do the same.

I started looking and applying in the Annapolis area is well. It seems you could ride in the rivers and such, anyone know if this holds true or if there's a decent seen there?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-14-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Alan,

Hit me up at mikeclutz@gmail.com
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-14-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Its good to see all this traffic on the DC thread here! I was really worried that moving here was going to put a huge dent in my riding, but it looks like there is a great community here as well. Do you guys in the DC area ever get together during the off season?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-14-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Joe,

I have only rode up there in the DC area a few times. I moved out there in July of 08 and rode at Anna 6-7 times. I have been deployed since December of 08 and will return in the summer of 2010, just in time to hit up the lake. Don't hesitate to shoot me an email, i always love meeting new people.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-14-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   

quote:

Do you guys in the DC area ever get together during the off season?

We used to meet up at boat shows and stuff in the winter. I moved down to Florida a while ago so I'm not sure what they are doing in the off season anymore. Keep an eye on DCWake for the season opener party though, it's a great way to meet up with people to ride with. I'll be flying up and bringing my singing voice with me
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
Mike- Sounds good man, I will shoot you an email. Take care man, stay safe!

Limo- Thanks man, I will definitely stay up on the DCWake happenings. Looking forward to the season opener!
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-15-2010, 5:22 AM Reply   
Limo, Maybe I'll brush up on those Blues licks and fly up too!

The world needs to hear the Cougar-Roofy Blues!

(Message edited by swampboy on January 15, 2010)
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-15-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
The season opener is by far your best bet for making a lot of friends. There may not be a lot of activity on dcwake anymore, but there is still a large group of us. 2manyhobbies will probaly post the opener on there. Last year we got rained out. John, please avoid Easter weekend for the opener if possible. Hope your shoulders are healing up good and can't wait to hear those new speakers.

Another option that I don't think has been mentioned is heading to the Georgetown waterfront. There's a loud Malibu, and screaming loud Tige down there most weekends in the summer and both owners are very friendly.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
I would love to ride the Georgetown waterfront. That would be awesome!
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-16-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
The waterfront is a no wake zone, they pull in there to drink all night most weekends. It's really a giant party with a bunch of boats most weekends (not all wakeboats). You can only ride south of the Memorial Bridge.

And as far as meetups, there's a big group of friends including those two boat owners who go out together all the time in Arlington and DC.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-18-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
So how long is the season for you guys?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-21-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Anna you can ride all year round on the warm side, water is mid 60's right now, problem is you need indoor storage for your boat to prevent freezing and not many people have it. Mid to late March to late November is doable with no worries on freezing blocks. Other bodies of water obviously take longer to warm up though.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-22-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Also, you have to know someone to ride on the warm side of Anna. The lake is divided into a warm side and a cold side. The warm side is the cooling reservoir for the nuclear power plant. It is also referred to as "the private side" because there are no public ramps or businesses on that side. You need to know someone who owns a house there and has access to the private ramps....If you get in with the DCWake crowd you'll meet some folks who can hook you up. Bring beer
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
So, does the Potomac River still have those snake fish????

I remember riding there some when i lived in richmond, and there were signs everywhere on the river for that thing!
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-22-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Yep, we still have the snake head fish. An environmental disaster in the making. We also have fish ( and by now, possibly some riders)with both sets of reproductive organs. No lie.