Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-08-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I am still in the market for a new(er) wakeboarding boat and would like some assistance with what the differences are between the Mastercraft wakeboarding boats. Why are X-Stars much more expensive than X-?'s? It seems that I can buy a newer X-? than an X-Star. Why is the resale lower on the other boats? What are the average differences if they are all v-drives. Your assistance is appreciated
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-08-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
Well first off, you have to look at the difference in size. The x-star is a much bigger boat than the rest of the x series boats, minus the x-45 and x-80. Each foot longer a boat is, the more it will cost do to materials and bigger boats have a higher demand (especially in the wakeboard market). Then you have to consider engine arrangement. The x-9 is a direct drive boat while the x-star, x-2, x-80, x-45, x-1, x-30, and x-10 are all v-drive boats. V-drive boats normally cost about $6-8k more than a direct drive of the same size. That is pretty much the difference in pricing. Other things to consider are the types of options that come stock on the x-star that dont come stock on the other boats.

And the biggest reason the x-star is so expensive is because everyone knows how good of a wakeboard boat it is. People will pay that type of money to get one of the best wakeboard boats arround.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-08-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
X-30 is bigger than the X-Star as well.

Phil, you can see the differences with the boats here.....????

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=SeriesOverview&series=x

I am not sure resale is much different on the other X-Series boats.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
XStar has everything standard ie Perfect Pass, upgraded stereo, and usually a larger motor 6.0 etc.
The X10 is gone and replaced by x15 which is bigger and better driving.
X2 imo is one of the best all around, a lot of room for a 20ft boat. I'm on the second one and love it.
Old     (benzzie)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
how's the wake of x9, when comparing with x1, is there a big difference?
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-10-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
The X-star is also the first wakeboard boat ever designed from the hull up strictly for wakeboarding. There are more R & D costs and has a totally different hull design that any other boat in the MasterCraft line. Hence that is why it's more expensive.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-10-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Lee, yes... The X1 is a excellent wakeboat. The X9 will make a wake, but not a world class one. They are both great boats, but made for different purposes. The X9 is a more all purpose family boat.

The X-star is, and always has been, Master Crafts premier wakeboat. As such it carries a price premium both new and used. The hull is a wakespecific hull not really meant for crossing over into a multi sport environment. It is also on the larger end of their model spectrum and as such will be priced higher than the X1, X2, X15, etc.... The X45 and X80 will be pricier when equally optioned. The X30 is a decent boat, but it's been around for longer and isn't billed as Master Crafts top end wakeboat.

Which boat is best for you totally depends on your application. If you are looking for a boat with a no-compromise wake the X1 and X-star should be at the top of your list. If you are looking for great all around boats in different size ranges, then the X2, X15, X30 may be considerations. Go look at the boats, select one that fits your style and family/crew size. They are all great boats. They are all capable of intermediate level wakes that aren't going to hold you back from progression.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-10-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Stevo, I may be wrong but isnt the X2 the same hull as the current Xstar? (Difference being that the current star is larger). I could be wrong but that was my impression.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-10-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
I never knew MC had a center console. Good move to expand to other areas or possible markets. It actually doesn't look like a bad design if that is your need.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
JB,
The X2 is not the same hull as the XSTAR. Pickle fork makes it seem that way, but they are very different.
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
JB-Mastercraft made this a little confusing for people who haven't been watching exactly what they've been up to the last 10 years or so.

The original 205 hull was an open bow direct drive.
Came out with an X-star direct drive in 1998 when Correct Craft released a Sport Natuique version called the Air Nautique.
Modified into a 205V.
Renamed the Xstar ~ 1999
The picklfork X-Star was developed and released 2004 with the AP-1 hull.
The 205 hull was renamed the X-2 when the picklefork X-star came out.
For 2006 MC made a ground up X-2 hull that was a smaller version of a wake-specific hull, it was a picklefork as well and took the name X-2.
Then the 205 hull was renamed the X-1 and still exists as a entry level boat, albeit on one of the best hull forms ever made.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-10-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
thanks for the correction.

I guess i was following the (what I thought was a logical progression) pattern of MC XStar evolution.

Good to know,
JB
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
JB- B Fitz hit it on the head. It is pretty confusing with the different model changes.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Is the X2 wake steep or mellow?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-11-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
Bfitz,the new X-star came in 03' not 04'
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
I'll put in my two cents on the X-9...

We have had the boat since it was new in 2002. It has been a great boat for us. Its a big DD with a lot of room. The wake is nice but not great. It was great for a beginner but now being my riding has gotten further along, it takes a lot of weight to get the wake to where it is nice. My buddies ride it and they say it is pretty good. Not the biggest but has a nice shape. I know one thing though, it looks sick on the water IMO. Ours is all black and looks slick. The way the bow dips down looks clean on the water. That same bow screws you though lol. We have been swamped by our own rollers plenty of times when going back to get a rider.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-11-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
We have been swamped by our own rollers plenty of times when going back to get a rider.
Any boat will take water over the bow. Search for posts on picking up the rider/power turning. There is a technique you can use to eliminate problems from your rollers.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
yea... i know how to not take on water. But... as always... S**t happens. If you look at a x-9, the nose dips a lot. Especially with a lot of weight in the boat the nose doesnt sit very high out of the water at all. Nothing close to what a bigger v-drive does.