Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
got acl reconstruction like 5 months ago. I get to start riding again in a month and want to be in top shape when i get back. whats some good workout programs I could do? I usually get MAD tendonidus, or yank elbow all up my left arm and would like to try to clear that up
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       09-04-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
try physio...?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       09-04-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
here's an article from a while back.........http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1999
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-04-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Is PT what you're after. That article covers weight training, which is a very different thing from orthopaedic physical therapy.

With PT, you exercise with Thera-Bands, not weights, and you strive to train with a dozen or more movements so that you hit the joint from every possible angle.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
ya i just got out of 5 months of PT ofr my knee. now im just looking to get an all around just training for before riding. and seeing if anyone know how to clear my elbow up. its been bothering me for years and have gone to the doc. he hasnt helped much, but ive heard of alot of riders having the same problem
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-04-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
I used to have all kind of tendonites problems (for a decade)and pulled muscles in the arms from the occasional yank from the handle. All that cleared up when i took a year off weight training. In essence I was overtraining.....and the signs can be fairly subtle to a testosterone driven male....so its hard to figure out whats wrong with you (mostly you think nothing is ...your just getting hurt....thats normal) but it isn't. If you have tendonites thats not going away it may well be because your not letting it...it needs rest.(and rest is not a week or 2 but like I said until it goes away....which could be a year)

Anyways I dont know your workout background but thought i might put this out there.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on September 04, 2009)
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-08-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
stretch...
stretch...
stretch...

Jonathan is right, Phys Therapy is totally different. You need to work on balance, agility, and strength of the muscles that keep the joint healthy.

I did 2 months of PT for my MCL. Good stuff, expensive as hell but i got some good exercises out of it.

... and when your done with that STRETCH some more. Being limber huge.
Old    dperizzolo            09-08-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
A lot of light weight, multi joint movements such as lunges, squats, etc. Make sure that you have a light load and do a lot of reps. Once you stregthen your knee back up you can get into some plyometrics which will help with your power, agility, and overall strength.

(Message edited by dperizzolo on September 08, 2009)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
IMO, that workout above is pretty weak for wakeboarding. Those movement paterns are isolated for each muscle group. Very basic. Not a single transverse plane exercise. Way too many machines to stabilize you.

Functional strength, full body, multi-plane exercises would be more appropriate.

I see way too many people doing heavy knee/leg extensions. Then they wonder why their glutes don't fire when they squat and lunge.

"stretch...
stretch...
stretch... "

If you have tight muscles that's a good idea. If you don't, it could be a waste of time.
Old    dperizzolo            09-08-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for explaining that a little more thoroughly Jarrod, we are definitely on the same page when it comes to training, from that other post about supplementation as well.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
Agreed, Multiple planes, Multiple joints. check out www.briandevlin.com for tons of free info,
or on utube search for synergy fitness or brian devlin. his spider training workouts were the key in my return to wakeboarding after my surgery.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Paul Chek has some great circuits on youtube. Here's a great full body ace kicker. If you have time, watch some of his lectures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBmerBUKY8

I would add some torso rotations, high low chop, and reverse chop for more core.

Thanks Darren.
Old     (phat_steve)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Well I have been off the water and off the weights in the gym, just cardio for three weeks now with Rotator cuff tendinitoius. I have been in physical theropy now and have two weeks left and hope to get a couple rides in before the water is to cold. I really think the elector shock thing they do is great and has alot to do with my arm getting better. Also my Dr is big on streching. I def cant wait to get back to weights and the water.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
yawn, interesting comments about his lectures below the video. i have his vhs chek practioner video's from 5-10 years ago, so i'm a fan, especially of his postural conditioning.

try challenging your core with this bodyweight circuit 3 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXD69lc1OTY
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozvH6VmVeI
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-08-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Leg extension are not a good idea. Every good knee doctor should tell you to avoid them if you like your knees. Leg curls, leg press, lunges (every type you can imagine), wall sits, calf raises, and plyometrics are all good exercises for your knees.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Indo board
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
I do a lot of the exercises in the video that nedge posted. That's all good stuff. I do the get up-get downs on the bosu so I can do a crunch before I stand. Thats a awesome glute exercise.

On the iso prone abdominal to high plank, I then continue to a 1 hand side stand with leg lift. So many great progressions.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
that's way 'old' good stuff jrod,and just the tippy top of the iceberg, this morning I trained Bejing Olympic bronze medalist swimmer caroline burkle on brian devlin's newest system, "Primal Pillar Training". She is one of the most fit woman i know,and she barely made it thru 3 sets.....(2nd in from right)

Upload
Old    dperizzolo            09-09-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
I had severe Osgood Schlatters in my knees and I owe my recovery to light load knee extensions. I'm not saying that they should be used for sport specific training, such as wakeboard training, but they have their place.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-09-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Nedge..... Tell her I said hi.... haha
Old     (austin_h)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-09-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
I used to get tendonidous (sp?) a lot in my elbow. I found the thing that worked best for strengthening it and making the pain go away was pullups
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
I love pullups too ! excessive weighted pullups and wakeboarding are what the doctor and my therapist told me were the cause of my bicep tendon to tear off the bone. course your a lot younger than me Austin, and i had years of to much isolation type workouts, exactly the kind jrod is advising against, he understands movement obviously. moderation, i have a hard time with that.