Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dkelley)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
How nice of a wake will the VLX throw sacked vs an AVY(sacked). May have a chance to buy an 08 VLX for very close to same $$ as 08 AVY. Malibu people- I know how nice they are. Primarily will be surfing and if VLX is only mediocre surf boat, I'll go toward the AVY, but if comparable it's a no brainer. Opinions greatly appreciated
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
I've got only a little experience with Malibu boats. We used VLXs for the 2006 and 2007 Scioto Wakefest. The VLX was fairly easy to set up for wakesurfing. I hear Malibu owners always use the wedge. We didn't in '06 and we were quite pleased with the wake. In '07 the VLX belonged to a promo rider and he wouldn't let us "help" set up the wake. In ’07 no one was happy with the VLX surf wake. I think he use used the wedge and he didn't add as much weight in the lockers. I hear that the new VLX hull is even better than the previous hull for surfing but I haven’t seen anyone post up a comparison or the ’09 VLX wake at all for that matter.

I've had more experience with the Avalanche. While the Enzo has a reputation as one of the best surf wakes I find that the Avalanche is nearly as good. I ‘ve had really good experience with the Avalanche surf wake. The Avy wake is a no brainer.

I think both boats are worth a look.
Old     (k_b_stephens)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
I own an '08 VLX and it's surf wake is nice, but...the Avy will build a better surf wake with less weight. Surf behind a buddy's '05 Avy quite often and love it.
Memorial day weekend I surfed a '08 Avy with the 1500 lbs enzo sac....INSANE!

If you wakeboard, I'd look at the VLX but since it sounds like you'll mostly surf....get the Avy.

(Message edited by k_b_stephens on June 23, 2009)
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
I have an 07 VLX and we really like it for surfing. You do need to weight it down, but it hasn't dissapointed us. I don't know how much it has changed from 07 to 08, but I think the hull is the same, so I don't think you can go wrong with the VLX. I haven't tried, the Avy, though, so I agree that it would be good to try them both if you can.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload