Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-15-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
so just got the official mri reading back today. thank god im cool. nothing torn. min and mcl are cool. just a real bad sprain. wow i sound like a p----y. but the dock is not very understanding of our sport and the impact or twisting involved. he said a braise would be unnesessary with prop rehab and strength. i dont want to turn this into the same thread as before where is it good or bad to use a braise for preventing injury, i have already sprained this knee twice. so what do you guys think. im know docter, my knee feels great. but im open for opinions and braise options.

also who has been able to have insurance cover their braise. thats the other reason i need to get the doc to prescribe it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your knee feels great because your doctor filled you so full of painkillers you don't know which way is up. Unless you really do want to braise your knee & then perhaps top it off with a nice garnish.

A knee brace is probably a good idea, if your Dr. is not prescribing it then I doubt your insurance will cover it. You could look into the don joy products, I'm pretty sure you can get their top of the line for under $700. If your Dr. says strength & flexibility and you will be money then take his advice and make your knee bionic strong.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
FWIW I have been told by many docs that you can push a sprained ankle but need to rest a sprained knee.

There are a lot of really good exercises that can make that knee strong. A good PT guy will give you a list of them to do. Then it all comes down to your work ethic.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-16-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
That was funny big heavy...a nice garnish :-)

I tore my right ACL and got a custom knee 'brace'...and I did wear if for ~2 years. My knee doc told me it was a mind thing...that the strengthening of my muscles around the knee (as well as legs...he said the secret to good knees is strong legs) were good enough support for them (and he is a wakeboarder). I'm now over the fear of hurting the knee again, and therefore don't need the brace, all it does is act like a crutch...use it if you must, but it's not the solution to your knee problems...just a temporary fix. As far as exercises for your knees, what worked for me was doing squats with 50 lbs on an Indo board.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Your knee is basically a hinge. The brace is used too prevent hyperflexing the knee. You can never make your core muscles and legs too strong. A knee brace is not a bad idea because you never know how much force you will exert when you land. I would go to a different doctor. If you sprained your knee twice he should be concerned IMO.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
You mean hyperExtension, don't you?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-16-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
so without a prescription, what are we looking at cost wise. and i would like some opinions on type and kind. the i keep hearing about is the"c2"? thanks for the help here everyone.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
My CTi2 was around $1200 but my insurance covered most of it. I use it each time I ride and it works fine. No problems at all and pretty comfortable.

There is also a CTi2 Vapor that is a bit thinner and lighter than the regular. Not sure of the cost on that one.

I think there are some people on here with DonJoy braces and they seem to like those.

T

(Message edited by raketball on September 16, 2007)
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Every company has an "off the shelf" brace for the cost of anywhere from 1/2 -1/3 cost of a custom.
Can't remember if they still require a prescription or not.
If you search the forum for Knee braces I'm sure you'll find somewhere that there are some knee braces that can be purchased without a rx.

I've owned 3 custom braces and have yet to where any of them when playing. It is just not comfortable for me and I just went with the strengthening, conditioning and balance/ proprioception
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
I always wear my CTI2 vapor when riding.