Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
does anyone use a remote start on their diesel trucks?
how do you like it?
recommend a brand?
thanks
http://www.sortprice.com/search-CQ-Car_Security-Remote_Starter
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-25-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
I use the Viper alarm system, around $359 installed. The remote starter warms glo plugs for about 10 sec. then starts truck. But the best feature is the turbo timer, this will save you $$$$ in the long run.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-25-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
Oh yeah http://www.viper.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=105
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
thanks Shawn
what does the turbo timer do?
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-25-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Cliff- The worst thing for a turbo is when it gets hot(lets say drivin for 20min.) and then you park and shut it off you start shortening the life of the turbo. A turbo needs to cool down by idiling 60-90sec. With the turbo timer you can park, set alarm, leave truck and it will idle till turbo cools down and then shut off. If anyone tried breakin in with the truck idiling it would automatically kill engine and lock itself out.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-25-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Cliff- The worst thing for a turbo is when it gets hot(lets say drivin for 20min.) and then you park and shut it off you start shortening the life of the turbo. A turbo needs to cool down by idiling 60-90sec. With the turbo timer you can park, set alarm, leave truck and it will idle till turbo cools down and then shut off. If anyone tried breakin in with the truck idiling it would automatically kill engine and lock itself out.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'm sold
thanks Shawn
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-25-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Awesome Cliff, just a little side note, I've had mine installed for 2yrs. now and not one prob.. I use the remote start everyday and the turbo timer. You can also set it up to turn on AC or Heater if your controls are digital. Good luck!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-25-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
DEI products by far are the best when it come's to security and remote starts.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-25-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
I had mine wired so that it would not start until after the "wait to start" light went off instead of a timer since at different times of the year, it may take different amounts of time. My installer did not charge me anything extra for this.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-25-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Clifford is by far the best. Most of your high end car audio shops use it and for good reason. I used to do high end systems in the Bay Area and Clifford was all we would use. Viper and Clifford are made by the same company Directed Electronics Inc (DEI). Have worked with both and in my experience Clifford is always a little nicer than Viper. Kind of like the difference between Moomba and Supra. Definitely have the shop tap the glow plug wait light. Make sure the shop has the ability to hook the alarm brain to a laptop in order to set starter pulse time and rpm limits. Trust me you will shorten the life of your starter if the pulse time is not set properly. Finally what ever you do, DO NOT take your truck to BEST BUY to have the alarm installed. I did more insurance repairs from botched installs from them than any where else. You will love the convince of remote start, not to mention be the envy of all your friends.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
thanks for the info guys
once again....useful stuff here on WW
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-25-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Clifford is very limited these days, do to DEI buying them out.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
Try to have it wired as T-Bag said, to the wait to start light. It worked great on our old demo vehicle.

Upload

I use the Clifford G5 series for the hardcore security systems but have had the best luck with Autopage. Clifford is limited in the amount of products that they offer but not in availability. The Matrix series is the same as viper and the G5 series still has the upper end security and technology features.

Check out the Autopage RS1000. Next month with an add on you will be able to use your cell phone as your remote control to remote start, GPS track, alert of speed or location, check internal temp, check current status and tons more. Forget everyone else claiming 1 mile range, I'm talking about world wide range.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Call me at the shop if you have questions on this.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-27-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ben that sounds SAWEEET!! How much would that set me back uninstalled (I have a local guy that does all my stuff)? Much 'preciated!
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-27-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
T-Bag-

Unfortunately my contract Autopage and many others (i.e. JL, Eclipse, Pioneer, Arc Audio...) will not let me sell it via this site unless you walk in my door. I will I can see if I can find a dealer in your area. If you have any questions I will defiantly answer any of them, just give me a call. I've already put the RS1000 on my little Scion I'm building as a demo vehicle and have the C3 preordered. The C3 should be the next thing to rock the vehicle security market.

We already have a few boat clients wanting to put the tracking feature and everything else on their boat. GPS Boat tracking is big in our area and this should be great. Get alerted on your phone if your boat is tampered with! This will just be added piece of mind for the people who don't keep their boat in their garage to know its safe in storage, dry dock, buddies house or side yard when they are not home.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
is the Auto page 1000 difficult to install? I am having a hard time finding someone to install my system.. I tis going on an 03 F350 6.0l diesel
Thanks
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Pen-

I wouldn't say that the Autopage it difficult to install in comparison to other systems out there. When using a transponder bypass, Autopage is actually easier. Anytime you are dealing with an alarm with this many features you are going to have many connections to to. We believe in taping the entire harness and soldering the connections for maximum stealth and reliability.

Where are you located. I would love to take care of you if you are in the area. Do you have a RS1000? We do so many RS1000s our techs can whip them out pretty quick.