Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
So i've seen a lot of post about best and most stylish wakeboarder out there but who are you favorite cable rider????
I'd say Fooshee and Sam Collins
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-18-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Nick Davies I think has become my favorite rider period!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
I would say Fooshee and Davies.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Rob Mapp, Nick Davies, Tom Fooshee, Donald Shelbrick (sp)
Old    wakejjboard12            02-18-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Davies and Heather Johnson
Old     (dhv142)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-18-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nick davies dominates the best, as well as fooshee, but davies is the best by far
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-18-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
nick, sam collins, lidberg
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-18-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
NICK DAVIES! diego shaw
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-18-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Josh Rice
Old    wakeboardpunk17            02-18-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Matty D and Dean
Old    wakeboardpunk17            02-18-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
...and maybe this guy named Nick Whitt hes kinda a douche though
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Really? Or are you being sarcastic?
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-18-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
hes a serious douche. don't ever touch his fking cookies either he'll KILL YOU
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-18-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
but he is good. you ever seen a TS BS 9? i have. nick whitt did it.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-18-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Favourite rider is Sam Collins, most stylish is Josh O'Connell
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-18-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
Shannon Best
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-18-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
Evan Kennedy
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-18-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Also: Shannon Best and Parks Bonifay
Old     (jsquared)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-19-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Nick Whitt all the way. Who else does backside 180's off the table top bigger than most hit big white!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
Not to mention he put Rusty in his place.

But seriously, Davies kills it, Josho and Fletcher are steezy on the rails, future mens 1 champ dean smith.
Sam Collins, Langfield and Lidberg do pretty well for themselves as well.
And no one can touch Chris Law for going big off the kicker.

(Message edited by kristian on February 19, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-19-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Nick Davies for sure man!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-20-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
I heard this "unknown" kid from St. Louis named Jon Prehn has been showing up all the dudes at OWC, especially Matt Raulerson and Nick Whitt. Just got off the phone with him and from what I got out our conversation, he said Nick and Matt are pretty much weak sauce. wakeboardSTL may be bringing you the the St. Louis version of Kyle Alberts. Be on the look out.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-20-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Reeder kills it on the Rails at the cable
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-20-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
MY FAV. CABLE RIDER..

Upload
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
I like Josh Rice. He does a lot of difficult toe side air tricks that are amazing.

Hey Louise,

You're my favorite girl cable rider!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-20-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Talk is cheap, lets see some vid of this Jon Prehn.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-20-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Tom Fooshe........game over
Old    wakeboardpunk17            02-20-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
I just wanna throw it out there for the record that Jon prehn is not showing up nick whitt or MYSELF..i will have all of you know that anything he can do on the cable was taught to him by yours truely and nick whitt we like to call him our "grommit". He told me to tell you hes working on a video for you jeff
Old     (therealpdiddy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
baaahahahahahahahahahah.....wow
Old     (therealpdiddy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
idk whats more funny...the end of this post...or that all of us are using the same computer to post from....haha..commentary from nick whitt available soon....
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-20-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
None of them can hold a candle to a video of necrasson selling nautiques
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-20-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Well Jeff, my talk is not cheap, he will be showing up in some videos soon, wake related of course. You may have seen some of other video masterpieces under his stage name "White Nova".

Besides why would I show you a video of a rider we have been grooming to be the next up and comer... so you can give him a Wake Sport Ranch sponsorship? wakeboardSTL has his back, no additional support needed.

Are you up for my rail rider versus yours????? Could be like a pay per view boxing match.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-20-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Breaking News:

The Orlando Sentinel was just over at OWC asking people's thought on the newly passed Recovery Act and how it would impact their upcoming riding season based on newly implemented tax credits would they go back to boat riding with their extra $7 or would they take their extra $7 a week and splurge on a hot dog and soda at the cable park? Here is what they had to say:

Nick Whitt - "I would take save my $7 a week for a whole month and go buy a gold crown to give to Jon Prehn. He is truly the King of OWC"

Matt Raulerson - "I echo Nick's remarks, so I would save my $7 a week for two months to get Jon a gold title belt to go with his new crown. Any change I have left over, I would make sure that his roommate has a full bottle of lotion next time."

There you have it. It's official.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-20-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
Hahaha Its not like that, I just think if you are going to come on here talk about how Jon is going out to OWC and showing up Nick and Matt, you should back that up with some substance.

Looking forward to seeing some vid Jonathan, I am always down for some sick footage.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-20-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
Awwww.....shucks Ben, thanks
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-20-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Keith Lidberg
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-21-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
nick davies no doubt best cable rider
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-22-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
Tom Fooshee- Fo Sho He has the video and the contest results to back it all up, Josh Rice is a very close 2nd
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-22-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
ok so this is gonna look really stupid, but i seriously was about to type Josh Wright. Then he I see he's the last to post!

Kyle Reed is a blast to watch too

Id say others that were previously mentioned, but sometimes they just look like robots, Josh and Kyle always seemed to ride different to me, but thats just my opinion.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Fooshee
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
All the Texas guys and gals are great!!!

But my favorite to watch is Brett Little... He is SOOO sick with that wakeskate!!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
I heard this "unknown" kid from St. Louis named Jon Prehn has been showing up all the dudes at OWC, especially Matt Raulerson and Nick Whitt.

When it comes to throwing tricks off the water hardly anyone at OWC is showing up anybody. This is a weak spot for riders at OWC. It's a great park with some of the best obstacles, but too little emphasis is placed on air tricks. The OWC contests are slider only competitions.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
That's because Air Tricks are lame. All contests at slider or cable parks should be air trick free in my opinion. Do you really think Foshee or Davies could do a triple S Bend to blind behind a boat? I am not saying air tricks aren't hard because they certainly are, but save that stuff for the boat.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Well it seems that there are some people that agree with you. But when people can do "lame" tricks and you can't then it's kind of hard to show them up. Don't you think that if a trick is lame that you should be able to do it with ease? If not then that kind of defeats the definition of lame.
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Who's this Nick Whitt fella? ;) Anyone have any film of him, aside from the 3 bits on TheWakePlace?

Nick Davies is awesome, and Josh O'Connell rocks!

(Message edited by vista on February 23, 2009)
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-23-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
WakeboardSTL, The topic of this thread was favorite CABLE rider, not best OBSTACLE rider. It would be really hard for someone to optimize a run on a cable without Air Tricks.

I have never seen Foshee or Mapp in person but they both look sick.

My vote is Davies. When I saw him ride he made tricks that some pretty good riders do, look lame...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
It's also a lot easier to throw *any* trick off an obstacle vs a boat wake. So following wakeboardSTL's logic every trick on the cable is lame, and there is no distinction between air tricks and obstacle tricks in terms of lameness. That pretty much means a cable contest would be limited to nose presses on a rail.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-23-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
I agree with John Anderson, and just to go a lil further with it. I want to see tripple s-bends to blind on a cable, because I won't see it behind a boat

(Message edited by waterdork88 on February 23, 2009)
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
What is this pick on wakeboardSTL day???? You all take all of this crap way too serious.

To address Mr. Anderson's comment, I said, in my opinion air tracks are lame. Let me clarify my definition of air tricks as tricks done going around a corner with no obstacle involved; therefore, your observation of what I classify as lame is incorrect.

Doing a Toe or Heel 7 off Big White is not any easier than doing one behind the boat. Ask Jon Prehn, he will tell you the same thing.

I made my vote for favorite cable rider and then my choice was disqualified because he doesn't do air tricks. You have your idea of what riding cable is and I have mine which does not include air tricks around the corners.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-23-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
I dont think wakeboardSTL's vote should be disqualified by any means no matter how the moves are done

and I dont think we should consider moves lame unless we can do them.

but thats just my 2 cents :-)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Doing a Toe or Heel 7 off Big White is not any easier than doing one behind the boat.

I totally disagree with this statement. My observation of your claim was that air tricks are lame on the cable because the boat is harder. Since IMO tricks off obstacles are *far* easier than tricks off the wake, the same logic applies.

However, I disagree that air tricks on the cable are lame because you can always do something harder than your current level. So what if you can throw fancier air tricks on the cable than you can off the wake. Just don't try and compare your cable skills as equal with someone else's boat skills. They are two different things.

By my estimation you are wrong on all counts, including doing air tricks on the corner is not cable riding. Which is a ridiculous claim.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
I wasn't trying to disqualify a vote. I was merely noting that showing up someone at OWC isn't a good measure of a cable riders skills because of the general lack of skilled riders doing air tricks. There is no rule that the end all of great riding starts and stops on a obstacle. If you want to be the best then you'd better be doing it all. Like Nick Davies.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
ATTENTION EVERYONE: John Anderson knows more about wakeboarding than John Pretti.

Agree to disagree my friend, isn't that what makes wakeboarding, wakeboarding? It's what you make of it, how you add your own style to tricks, doing the tricks you like to do, etc., etc. Geez bro, get over it and if you want to count the first 180 of your seven going up big white be my guest. I can't do it behind the boat or off a kicker, go ride and have fun.

I will be at OWC everyday for a week starting March 15 doing my version of cable riding. If you're there, look me up and show me how to do an air trick and my opinion might change. You can spot me by my wakeboardstl sticker on my helmet.
Old     (joshrice)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-23-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
Mark Kenney rode cable very nice.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-23-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I wanna hear the story about some dude puttin Rusty in his place, cause I doubt that happened.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
WakeboardSTL, you are entitled to your opinion; however, I'm surprised that you did not anticipate the adverse reactions to the comment, "air tricks are lame." Especially on a thread in which the topic is cable riding. It is a rather audacious assertion coming from someone who can't do them. You should understand that it's going to offend some riders.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
"You have your idea of what riding cable is and I have mine which does not include air tricks around the corners."

You won't be judging any cable comps then.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-23-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Try a double to blind and I am sure your opinion would change...
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
I don't want to judge anyone or any comp. You do what you want and I do what I want. Get over it people.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-23-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
Scotty Green, Justin Abbott, Sam Colins, Nick Davies and Reuben Buchanan. All of those guys I could watch all day, and all have very different styles.

Anyone who says air tricks are lame needs to grow up. Cable and boat are 2 different disciplines and as Mark Kenney proved, the very best riders can do both.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
I will be at OWC everyday for a week starting March 15 doing my version of cable riding. If you're there, look me up and show me how to do an air trick and my opinion might change.

I'll try to get out there on the 15th or 16th. I'm sure there will be a few people doing better air tricks than me as I only do a backroll and roll to revert off the water. If you see an old guy with long gray hair and beard and a white Capix helmet, that'll be me.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2009, 6:01 AM Reply   
Look forward to meeting up with you John. See you then. I'm super pumped to ride and ready to learn a few new things.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-24-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
John A, I've been to OWC many a time when you've been riding and you absolutely shred!

and Pretti, you KNOW air tricks are where it's at, cmon now :-)
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
You better look out Juan, I have a new coach now. I am coming for your air trick title at Fools Fest. Besides you have seen my toeside indy ollie grab thing around the corner before, so you know I will be bringing the heat for sure now.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Thanks JD, I'm slowing down a bit. Taking too much time off the water and adding a few pounds. I hope to put in a little more time behind the boat this year. This is the first year since OWC opened that I haven't renewed my annual pass.

Looking forward to meeting you too STL.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
I don't want to start anything here, and for the record I have only ridden cable a handful of times and consider myself somewhat of a purist (i still think you need a wake to wakeboard...call me crazy)..but, I have read all of these arguments on here about what is "legit", etc.. on a cable and the whole time I am saying to myself "is this the future of wakeboarding??!!" AIR TRICKS vs. OBSTACLES... WTF? I guess its just how I have been raised (on a boat every chance I got), but doesn't cable riding seriously pale in comparison to boat riding? I mean this can be lame vs that on a cable, but isn't it all lame compared to a boat? or is that just me? I do appreciate cable riding for what it is however, and agree that it is a great way to introduce people to the sport as well as an economical way for athletes to train, etc...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
derek, do you know anyone who can throw a raley on their first time behind the boat on a wakeboard? A good friend of mine who I watched go from noob to expert on the cable did. I finally got him out on the lake one day behind my Ski Nautique with a pole and a couple fat sacks and he threw a raley.

The skills are transferable because it's all wakeboarding. The only people who want to play the purist game are those who can't do it all. Go learn to throw a raley on the cable and then come back and tell us it's lame or not wakeboarding. Go learn to throw a backroll in the flats behind a jet ski and then tell us it's not wakeboarding.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-24-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
the future of wakeboarding is air tricks, obstacles, and of course wake riding. Not this vs. that garbage.

I've ridden behind a boat all my life and I loved every moment of it. The few times I hit up a cable park I have always had a blast, because its what I love to do... in a different way. :-)
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Raleys on a cable! Raleys behind a jetski! Actually, I can do both of those things. Raleys aren't really for me, but whatever blows yer' dress up I guess. I think you missed all of the subtle disclaimers I included as to avoid a hostile response...I respect the cable, I have enjoyed myself every time I have been on one. My friends in Florida all train on the cable and swear by it. I understand that the skills are transferable. I haven't checked your profile, but am I by chance arguing with an angry 14 year old? If thats the case I will just stop now...I was just trying to comment on the lameness of arguing over what constitutes cable riding...and I wanted to add that I don't feel that cable riding is comparable to wakeboarding behind a boat with a wake. That is just because I like wakes. Big deal.It's an opinion, on a discussion board, get used to it. And yes, an air roll behind a jetski will forever be wakeboarding, don't fret.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-24-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Wow, did the topic change from Favorite Cable rider to Cable vs Boat? Lets keep the topic what it is and start another thread if you want...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Sorry derek, I missed the disclaimers. It read more like a rant to me.

Seems to me that the only reason to pit AIR TRICKS vs. OBSTACLES is because you can't do one or the other. Learn to do them both and expect in a contest you should be able to compete doing both. That should be the future of wakeboarding either on the cable or behind the boat. My observation is that they are doing exactly that behind the boat. Why should anyone object to both in a contest on the cable?
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more! If you are a competitive cable rider, then by all means you should be skilled in all aspects of cable riding, and as a result of these skills, you will likely be a very talented wake rider as well. The first time I rode a cable(2001 in Australia) there were very few obstacles so the emphasis was on air tricks. Now the emphasis has obviously shifted. To stay on track, my favorite cable rider is any rider who has a style that doesn't scream out "I LEARNED TO WAKEBOARD ON A CABLE!" or "CHECK OUT MY OLE' 1080 ON THE SLIDER!"
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
My favorite cable riders are the guys who I am friends with or have occasionally met at contests. Rob Mapp with his long deep cuts and high flying style, Sasha Peschel who impressed me when I first saw him with his Air Whirley (Tweety), Chad Forrest for his suicide raley (raley to slide), Josh Rice with his stylish riding, Lu Le for being an all around great rider and always pushing me to try harder, or Kenny Sampson who for a while was about the best rider at OWC. If I'd met Nick Davies personally he'd be a favorite for his expertise at all levels.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-24-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I love air tricks! The obstacles just get in my way. I sometimes do air tricks over the obstacles so I can tell myself there's a reason for them to be there!
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-24-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
It does not matter what you are being pulled by, if you have a wakeboard strapped to your feet you are wakeboarding. If you are doing extreme manuvers that make other people want to watch you, thats cool to me even if it is behind a cable, or boat, or jetski, or car, or truck, or someone really strong holding a rope and running, or an airplane, or a helicopter, or whatever... The people who try to discredit others because of the device that pulls them are definitly LAME.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
^^^^You know what else is lame? People who can read but can't comprehend.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-24-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Bendow,
Hence your nickname Big Air Ben...I wish I could fly as high as you do.
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Big air ben gets a vote from me
Old     (shaunm000)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Mark Mcnamara
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-02-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
Some of you guys are really narrow minded and just plain ignorant. When you see a kid riding who is good at air tricks on the cable, you should see the style they are putting into them. It is truly awesome to watch. When you goto Rixen and see Rob going 20 feet in the air doing a KGB or double S to blind, then you will stop talking smack. They are going so big and have so much line tension that it is unreal. Rob and Diego at Rixen cut harder and faster than arguably any rider in the world. They must be edging at upwards of 40+ mph on every trick, landing blind, grabbing their board, doing pretty much whatever they want. O-dub doesn't have good air trick guys because the last turn is kind of short and doesn't allow for as powerful of an edge, and it is so choppy that that is really the only place good to do air tricks.
Even though Rixen is lower than the other cables, they have the most distance on the last turn for a solid edge which is why the Rixen kids are the best at air tricks.