Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-13-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Trying to weight Maristar 210VRS (same hull as X-10). Right now I have 275 in each side at the back, and 370 in the ski locker (900lbs total)

Alot of the time I am riding with just 3 people, and the wake still just seems small. Does anyone have experience weighting this boat?

I feel like it could hold a lot more weight, it still jumps on plane and the swim deck is not underwater yet.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thats a pretty good size boat. I think i would go with 500's in the rear and front and go from there. A lot of the people on here will put the biggest thing they can fit in the lockers than you need 1/2-2/3s of that in the front. I know some people have said alot of the MC hulls like bow weight, not sure if thats one of them,
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-13-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
yeah, i would like to know too.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
i think we're the last of the mohicans guys... My boat isn't the same but very similar bottoms. I've got a 99 maristar 230v and have tried to figure out how to weight it but haven't had any luck getting much input. I'm limited to the sac's that came with the boat and two 150#'s i bought off craigslist to fool around with though. I've stacked about 600#'s port side rear locker and put another 150 on the port side bench and another 150# on the port side bow and had a decent wave with about 6 people in the boat. i had a few sit on the starboard side and that seemed to produce the best results with what i had. From what i've read the boat needs a LOT of weight though. The pocket was still pretty small and didn't have as much push as I would like but we've had plenty fun with it. Here's a couple pics of me surfing and my setup. If you have any pics of your setup post em up!
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2012, 5:58 AM Reply   
Neither of you guys are putting nearly enough weight in those boats.. You'll want 750's in the back, a 750 in the walkway up front, 3000=-500 in the ski locker and then add in some lead.

900lbs is less than stock ballast on most boats. You need to get up north of 2k to see a sizeable wake on most of the rigs out there aside from a select few (narrow beam, light boats).
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-14-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
i think we're the last of the mohicans guys... My boat isn't the same but very similar bottoms. I've got a 99 maristar 230v and have tried to figure out how to weight it but haven't had any luck getting much input. I'm limited to the sac's that came with the boat and two 150#'s i bought off craigslist to fool around with though. I've stacked about 600#'s port side rear locker and put another 150 on the port side bench and another 150# on the port side bow and had a decent wave with about 6 people in the boat. i had a few sit on the starboard side and that seemed to produce the best results with what i had. From what i've read the boat needs a LOT of weight though. The pocket was still pretty small and didn't have as much push as I would like but we've had plenty fun with it. Here's a couple pics of me surfing and my setup. If you have any pics of your setup post em up!
The 230 or X-30 does require a lot of weight to displace the stern in order to develop the surf way. My suggestion would be either the Fly High Fat Sac or even the Fly High Jumbo Surf Sac in the rear compartment and another 700 to 800 lbs. on the surf side stretched up toward the bow. By distributing the weight from the rear seat forward we have found that the wave gets longer without a significant loss in height.The wave side is the ultimate trade off when adding weight to the mid ship and bow. It is a balancing act but once you get it the 230 hull throws a very fun surf wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Neither of you guys are putting nearly enough weight in those boats.. You'll want 750's in the back, a 750 in the walkway up front, 3000=-500 in the ski locker and then add in some lead.900lbs is less than stock ballast on most boats. You need to get up north of 2k to see a sizeable wake on most of the rigs out there aside from a select few (narrow beam, light boats).
He is right. You do need to add more weight to get the results you are wanting. With that said the X-10 / 210 is finicky and has given me the most trouble out of any other boat in their line. We usually weight it for wakeboarding by adding 500 to 600 lbs in the rear compartments, 300 to 400 lbs. in the center ski locker, and 400 to 500 lbs. in the bow using the Fly High Integrated Bow Sac. The wake shape is good but the boat does feel like it is slammed and you will want to come off the throttle with ease. Might take a little more work to perfect it. I have personally had a lot of fun behind that boat. In my opinion when weighted correctly it is a cross between an older Malibu VLX and an older Super Air 210.

Just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-14-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwm View Post
We usually weight it for wakeboarding by adding 500 to 600 lbs in the rear compartments, 300 to 400 lbs. in the center ski locker, and 400 to 500 lbs. in the bow
That's the same setup I used with good results.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-14-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
ed a 2001 x10 for 5 years. i purchased 750lb sacs for the rear lockers and the 650lb bow sac. this was on top of the approx. 900lb of factory ballast (250 per side in the rear and 400lbs in the ski locker). with the factory and bow sacs full, i could only fill the rear sacs up maybe 1/4 before the boat struggled to plane. after changing the prop and filling the rear 750lb sacs, the boat would plane, but porpoise badly. we found the optimal fill percentage for the rear sacs to be 1/4-3/4 full depending on the number of persons in the rear cockpit and bow. the wake was never "huge", but suitable for most everyone's riding skills.

the logic on the 750lb rear sacs was to surf, but where we typically ride, it's just not suitable (water depth) for surfing.
Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-14-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone lots of good advice here. I realized I have another 400lb sac in the garage that I can modify to work with my fly high sacs. That will put me at 1300lbs. I'm planning to keeps 2 X 275lbs in the back, 350lbs ski locker, and move the last 400 to either right in front of the rear row or bow walkway depending on how the shape it. I prefer a steeper wake so it might be better in the back. If its still small I will probably put 2 x 400lbs in the back plus 120lbs of lead each side and everything else mid/bow.

Heres a pic from the other day, 900lbs + 7ppl in the boat. How much bigger can the wake get than this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-14-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
This is the only picture I could find of the wake behind my old boat ('99 210VRS) and I don't think it was fully weighted.

I wanted all sacs hidden, here is what I ended up with.
(2) Side Sacs under the seats in the bow ~260# each
(1) Tube Sac in the ski locker ~370#
(2) V-Drive Sacs in the rear locker ~ 400# each

I also had around 300# of lead in the boat. If there were just a couple of people in the boat it went in the rear lockers, if there were several of us, about half of it went in the bow.

Total weight ~ 2000#

The wake was good enough, but definitely not the biggest out there. Make sure your fuel tank is full, that adds a lot of weight in the center of the boat. If I were to do it over, I would have gone with the "U" shaped sac of front. I'm not sure if it would have held any more weight, but would have been easier to plumb.

I tried 750s in the back instead of the 400# sacs, but it was too much weight and I had to go too fast for the wake to clean up. If you did not mind sacs in the floor, adding another 400# just in front of the rear seat makes a huge difference.

Good luck
Attached Images

Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-14-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
This is the only picture I could find of the wake behind my old boat ('99 210VRS) and I don't think it was fully weighted.

I wanted all sacs hidden, here is what I ended up with.
(2) Side Sacs under the seats in the bow ~260# each
(1) Tube Sac in the ski locker ~370#
(2) V-Drive Sacs in the rear locker ~ 400# each

I also had around 300# of lead in the boat. If there were just a couple of people in the boat it went in the rear lockers, if there were several of us, about half of it went in the bow.

Total weight ~ 2000#

The wake was good enough, but definitely not the biggest out there. Make sure your fuel tank is full, that adds a lot of weight in the center of the boat. If I were to do it over, I would have gone with the "U" shaped sac of front. I'm not sure if it would have held any more weight, but would have been easier to plumb.

I tried 750s in the back instead of the 400# sacs, but it was too much weight and I had to go too fast for the wake to clean up. If you did not mind sacs in the floor, adding another 400# just in front of the rear seat makes a huge difference.

Good luck
John, yeah I think it must not have been fully weighted. That's probably about what mine looks like when I have the 900lbs with just a driver and observer.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-14-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
John where did you drill for the pumps and mount them all? Any install pics? I'm debating on whether to buy the new ronix bags set-up and save my self some money or hardwire and plumb everything instead. If i go the ronix bags i'll def wire an outlet in each corner of the boat and bow just to make more convenient, but i know that nothing beats flipping a switch.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-14-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781284