Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
Alright now that I have your attention, there is actually no "boat buns" in this post, but if you respond to my email with your paypal address, and SSN you will receive millions from my uncle twice removed on my sisters side in Russia who may or may not be out to sea working as an oceanographer, its all legit just trust me, oh and dont forget to FWD to the email to anyone else who wants to share in the unclaimed fortunes... With the money will come boat bun photos after you email it to 10 people, but act fast!

So since most of you have never seen or been in an Epic boat I decided to go the extra mile and make a large contribution. Feel free to rate this thread with 5 stars so Dave can send me some free WW swag from all the WW points!

I wanted to wait until my second oil change in my boat to really give an in depth review of my boat, not just the "look at my new shiny toy its the best" review. This boat is great, it does have its quirks but I overcame most of them pretty quickly. The boat itself is built like a tank, resin infusion is freaking SOLID! Double ups and massive rollers from my buddys G23 have not even phased the boat or the people inside of it, I love how smooth this boat rides through the water, coming from an 09 Centurion Falcon to this was like going from a Kia to a Lexus the ride quality is just NIGHT and DAY difference. I have the 5.7 330HP Merc in mine and so far it has dished everything we have thrown at it, I was really worried about planing out with the smaller motor and having so much ballast available to me so fast, but we dont ever ride with all of the stock 4,000lbs full and even if we did it gets on plane so much faster than my buddys Axis loaded down.
Wakeboarding
Having 4000lbs of ballast at your fingertips and the ability to fill it all in under 2 minutes is so sick and having the front tank (MB doesnt have) is really a great selling point for this type of ballast system. However 4000lbs is to much for wakeboarding, you need to ride above 25mph to get a clean wake, at least in my boat. My favorite wakeboard setting so far has been 65ft 20.4MPH with Zero ballast, the wake is PERFECT! A lot of my buddies have really been shocked by the wake with no weight in the boat, Ill just tell them Im filling the tanks and wont tell them line length until they fall, and usually they can tell they are riding shorter but never guess there is no ballast in the tanks. I can also get the same results from 1/4 to 1/2 in the nose and 70ft 21.6MPH just super clean and super poppy. Another really solid setting is half in the nose, both side tanks at 1/4 full, 70 or 75ft @ 22+mph.When I start to add weight in my boat is when things start to get touchy, the more weight I add the more the boat becomes weight/speed sensitive. When you start getting over 2000lbs the boat becomes more weight sensitive which is ok most of the time because most of the guys I ride with understand where to move, when to move etc.. but some of them dont like to ride 23+ and some dont get how even out the weight. Like I said usually its not a problem, but when its just family and extended family and Im trying to ride, Im also trying to point to people and have them move while I ride, lol. The wake itself is very versatile, at slower speeds and less ballast it is much more rampy with the solid lip and solid pop at the top, with more weight and more speed its turns into a freaking brick wall which takes some getting used to, but also launches you straight up.
*DISCLAIMER* All ballast scenarios posted above are with some water in the left tank, I usually hold that side open for 5-10 seconds when I first put in, the left side needs more weight in the boat for whatever reason.
Surfing
Surf wave with stock ballast is good, but with just 400lbs extra in the rear corner turns into a monster, Im still trying to really dial it in still and photos will come sometime soon. I think we have only surfed it 3 times.
Fit n Finish
Fit and finish on the boat is great, I havnt had any issues with anything and when comparing it to my old boat the layout and design is so much better. There is NO carpet in my boat at all,I love it. All storage areas are lines with some sort of material that isnt carpet, not sure what it is but it doesnt hold water, and I love it. No stinky moldy carpet to try and clean! The floor is foam flooring and all I do is hose it out once a month and its clean again! The tower is a Samson tower and it is rock soild, and it folds down very easy with one person. No fancy dancy screens just solid analog gauges and rocker switches. Wetsounds audio is freaking amazing, WS420 is great to have from the factory, transom audio is great! People in the boat dont have to go deaf and the riders gets there music nice and clear.

Im sure there is a ton im forgetting, so if you have any questions about the boat let me know. The next couple posts will be all the photos of the boat, empty and with gear stored. Enjoy

I also created a new Epic forum which is still a work in the progress but the forums are up. I tried contacting the old site many times epicboatowners and have never got a response... So I made epiccrew.com for us Epic owners. Im working on the main/front page now but the forums are up and working so sign up!
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Outside

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Inside and Empty

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Inside with gear

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Tower

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Shoutout to Boat bling for making my boat look so damn good. One of the hot sauce bottles is actually the quickie wax stuff, but I dropped the bottle, oops.

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
Any more pics?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-11-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Any more pics?
If only there was a pic of the...nope, it's there or maybe the...nope, he got that one too! I think he covered it! I've been in one a hundred times and I think I saw parts that I have never seen before in this thread.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
I would love to look into an Epic purchase, but who sells them in the midwest? The 21v looks decent, and the Merc power appeals to me greatly. Yes, PCM, Indmar, and Illmor might have better marine engines, but being able to have almost anyone service the engine is very appealing.

The other issue that I had was a swim platform that isn't removable for storage. Your boat looks awesome by the way.

Last edited by MattieK27; 08-11-2012 at 8:55 PM.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
Love all the pics. I have always loved the Epic's and their snub nose, and if I was buying a new boat it would be an Epic.
Old    sperbet            08-12-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Gorgeous boat. Congrats
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-12-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
Awesome pics, thanks so much for sharing. Maybe it's me but the wake looks a little steeper on the right hand side then the left in the pics, probably just the angle the pics were taken at. Very very clean color choices on thisEpic, one of the nicest I have seen.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       08-17-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
what I still don't understand is why Epic isn't putting drains in behind the back seats - I drilled holes in my 2007 and have just finished the same ones in my 2011 so the water doesn't accumulate and sit there for days if I forget to properly dry behind those seat cushions/back seats ... drilled to additional holes in the center on my 2007 but first checking if it's necessary to do the same here ...
Attached Images

Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-24-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
If you go out soon, post pics of the surf wake please. Thx.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-25-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
I will get some tomorrow, with stock and an additional 500lbs in the rear
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-26-2012, 12:00 AM Reply   
Can't wait!
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
Great write up Smitty, you've got me reconsidering with your pics Looking good bro. And I can definitely vouch for the awesome wake at 21.6 mph. He wouldn't tell me how much ballast he had in it before I rode but when I got back in the boat and he said it was empty (5-6 people in boat) I didn't believe him. This wake is definitely EPIC
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-30-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
The styling of the boats what keeps me from liking epic. IMO, the square nose is weird, the speakers on the back are weird, I don't like cup holders in the floor, the throttle is like a I/o, the interior looks plain, and the tower looks too old school.

The wake does look great.

Perhaps I am just grumpy because I clicked this thread to see bun and got tricked. LOL
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
The styling of the boats what keeps me from liking epic. IMO, the square nose is weird, the speakers on the back are weird, I don't like cup holders in the floor, the throttle is like a I/o, the interior looks plain, and the tower looks too old school.

The wake does look great.

Perhaps I am just grumpy because I clicked this thread to see bun and got tricked. LOL
Hoodwinked!
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-01-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Long awaited surf pics and some some Boat Buns

The goofy side is even bigger. This was with only the left side filled 100%, 11mph and ~13ft deep. I will get some photos of that this weekend if the rain ever lets up...

Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
That looks like an awesome surf wake. I want a chance to surf it before the end of the season. Make it happen homie
Old     (gatorboy112)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-03-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
why can't I see the pics?
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-04-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
you most likely need to let the page load because there are a "couple" of images in this thread