Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Looking to buy a optima battery, which one would be the best for me,

Going to only use one battery for starting the boat and the stereo, 4 cabin speaker's and a sub one 4 channel amp 75 x 4.
Will use the stereo when the boat is not running.

I have a start jump box that I will carry in the boat if battery goes dead!
Thank's for any info!!
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Probably a blue top. Sam's club generally has a very good price on them. I think it was ~$155 but it's been a while.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
are the blue top and yellow top the same,
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Make sure you get the D34M blue top it is the dual purpose for starting and deep cycle.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-21-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
unless you're mounting the batt in a weird position, there are better batteries out there IMO.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
what are some better batteries, any from interstate, I can get a good buy on interstate.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-21-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
search it. I haven't bought batteries in several yrs, but the issue has been beat to death more than once.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-21-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Most batteries come off the same production line. The difference is the case and the plate type - deep cycle versus starting. I have been in several factories and the production lines had many different brands of battery cases that ran with the same internals in succession. There were different ratings, but the same case volume and plates.

Personally, I use the Optima batteries in the boat and whatever is on sale in the truck. Optima batteries cannot explode or leak. They are cheap insurance in an expensive toy.

Yes, I had a battery explode on me just two weeks ago. Burned my pants.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-22-2008, 3:34 AM Reply   
Yellow tops if its just for accessories, blue top if its for both, red for starting.

We use Yellow pretty exclusively over here....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-22-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
There was the Kinetic debate with some good information from Interstate and a few others. search "Kinetic" to find it.

My point is that optimas are pretty expensive. Are you getting $150 worth of battery? Maybe. But like Karl said, good insurance in a boat. I've never had a battery explode so I guess can't appreciate one that won't.

i run two blue tops and 2 6vt cart batts. The cart batts give me 225 amp hrs of batter reserve that i have dedicated to powering amps. i would have to buy at least 4 optimas to get the same capacity. at $155 each... eh, I don't think so. There are other things i would rather throw my money at.

But I still own 2 blue tops. I've replaced them once, optima wouldn't help. I guess that's my other problem with them. do a search there's a ton of info on batts on here.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Anyone know about the interstate SRM-29
it's rated at 210 rc.
Would this be a good battery?
Thank's for any info.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-22-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
if the interstate is a gel cell, then go for it..

if not, then buy a optima (ie gel cell). you can run them down a 1000 times and they can come back 1000 times - try that with a interstate or any other marine battery. the optima's are cheap insurance imo..
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-22-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Clubmyke, had to replace a few blue tops that wouldn't charge back. Is there something I'm missing?

like tap the neg terminal three times with a green screwdriver??
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-22-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Optima's don't like heat out here in AZ, I have to replace them multiple times but if you get them from costco their are very good at hooking you up. However I prefer Lifline batteries and have two group 31's hooked together to power my boat and system and have a single optima for a reserve battery. Lifeline's are not cheap but kick ass over optima's for sure.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
I've got a blue top in my boat. All I can say is it's always been there for me and never caused any trouble, in contrast to other batteries which have left me grumbling at the boat ramp.