Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-25-2007, 4:36 AM Reply   
Just got a new prop for '95 Sport Nautique. I'm using a prop puller to remove the old prop (original prop I think), but I can't get the thing to budge. Any ideas on how to break the bond?

Thanks
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2007, 5:25 AM Reply   
You may have to tap it with a hammer around the base with the puller hooked up and pressure against the prop. Or put a peice of wood behind the prop and strike it so you wont harm the prop. Becarefull. Not sure if you would want to or not but you could use a propane torch to heat the prop base to swell it alittle but this will cause discoloration to the metal. I have never had to change mine but that is how i would do it.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-25-2007, 5:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, I got pissed last night and was pretty much beating the s&*t out of the puller. Thought about taking a sledge hammer to it, but I was afraid I would damage the prop.
Old     (corky)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Apply good pressure with a prop puller and then carefully apply heat to the center of the prop with a propane torch.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Propane torch. Just be careful not to heat the shaft up. When I did mine, I was surprised at the amount of heat I had to put on it, but once I got it there it just popped right off.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-25-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
damn, not looking for to pulling it off my 20 yr old boat!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Try to put a wet rag on the shaft so you dont get the shaft to hot.
Old    nwwakerider            05-26-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
i replaced the prop on my 93 sea ray and it took almost 3 hours. i tried everything, we used a block of wood and a hammer, and heated it with a torch and beat the crap out of it. it never budged but finally afert i thought it was never coming off, we got it with the puller
Old     (kiraly_74)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
First Put your puller on and make sure you leave the retaining nut on but loose to allow the prop to release. Go into the Kitchen and boil some water. Be very careful pouring it over the shaft area of the prop. This will be better on the prop than using a torch. It only takes 70 to 80 Degree spike to expand the prop bushing to get it to come off. Then wak the heck out of it. good luck and be careful.