Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-08-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Who has the best cable park and what do you like about it
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-08-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
CWC in the Philippines. End Discussion
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
I can't say what's the best because I've only been to a few but I'll give my pros.

- Island in the middle to cut down on chop.
- Higher cable for more lift on air tricks.
- Shorter cable for advanced section so the walk back is shorter.
- Separate cable for beginners to cut down on wait.
- Nice shoreline and walkway that's kind to bare feet.
- Covered area for seating to get out of sun.
- Concession stand for eats.
- Lots of obstacles.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-08-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think WSR in Ft. Worth is covering a lot of these!

Chad - Are you guys still targeting an early 2010 opening?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-08-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
What John said.

But I will also add better handles.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Better handles yes I go to McCormicks and wish they had a changing area and a snack bar. I like to sneak out of work for an hour so grabbing some grub and riding for 45 mins would be great. Other than that it seems fine to me.
Old     (dixiebmxer)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Mccormicks all the way. Cause its clockwise and has the island so no rider chop.
Old    gnarshredd            09-08-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
I've only been to two but based on that, I'll agree with what everyone here has said.

Another key thing is slider surface. My only complaint about McCormicks is that they use trex for some rails and on a really hot/sunny day you can only get a couple of hits in on a rail before you have to spray it again and if it's dry, then it's WAY too sticky to ride . I've been taken out more than once on the downside of the rooftop rail because I couldn't see that it was dry until it was too late.

One thing McCormicks does really well and is key to any park is a knowledgeable and just plain cool staff. Everyone who works there is just fun to hang out with which is great considering you spend a lot of time with your friendly neighborhood cable operator.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
What Riley said...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-08-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
Until you have gone to CWC you will all try to say that maybe your home cable is the best or the cable you have experienced is the best... There is no better cable in the world than CWC. EVERYONE who rides a wakeboard should no HAS to go to CWC. Your mind will be boggled!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-08-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
im not gonna lie this is a pretty sick list of cable parks here in the US. Which one is the best? go find out

http://www.grindtv.com/wake/blog/7843/pwieland%27s+top+7+wakeboard+cable+parks/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
To bad he didn't list the reasons for his rating in the blog.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-08-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Charlie, I am kind of on a similar yet opposite spectrum (though my only experience is OWC). I dont like their plastic sliding surface...its too slick IMHO. I like property watered down trex...but your right, on a hot day its all bad with dry trex. Maybe there is something in the middle, slides like trex, low maintenance like plastic? What's CWC using, they seem to "spare no expense, do it right" kind of place.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-08-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
Well I operate down here at mccormick's cable so I have to be a little biased and say ours but right there with us would be Wake Nation ( only problem is they go the wrong way :-) ) And yeah I love our trex on a overcast or busy day when everyone is either wetting it down alot or it doesn't dry out. We are working on improving that in the near future putting a sort of watering system on it!!! Thanks for all the praises guys!!!
Old    wakejjboard12            09-08-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
I've only been to OWC and McCormick's so I can only comment on those but here are my thoughts...

Best rails- McCormicks
Best/Nicest Operators- McCormick's
Best for beginners- OWC
Nicest "down time" facilities- OWC
Handles- OWC

I had a major problem with the front desk at McCormick's. Maybe the day I went the girl was having a bad day but she was so rude I didn't ever want to come back. Thank goodness the guys that run the cable are super nice and changed my mind. Of the two my favorite is McCormick's. Love the rails and atmosphere there. Only thing I wish they would do is maybe build a pavillion or some type of shade and maybe a concession area.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-08-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
at cwc they have sprinklers set in the rails, so they never dry off...
EVERY cable park should take that idea and run with it!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
Or just use the same material as OWC uses. I've never experienced a problem with their rails.
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-09-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Its CWC no competition, talk to any of the big names in cable wakeboarding like Tom Fooshee, Sam Thompson, Kieth Lidberg, Nick Davies, they will all say the same thing.
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-09-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Agreed with CWC, but my home lake is WAKE NATION. These guys have built this into a world class facility in under 1 year, and it can only get better!

Things I like:
1) Everything was engineered on the site for 1 thing: Wakeboarding
Built from scratch...Lake ,Buildings, Rails all Brand new, nice and clean. Nothing was half assed
2) 7 Obstacles with one of the sickest transfer boxes ever built.
3) Center Island
4) They change the location of obstacles to give you a different approach from time to time.
5) HIGH Cable
6) The people: Everyone, Employees and Riders are all there to help and progress everyones riding.
7) 6 Pylons for the smoothest corners in the Nation
8) Location: Just Trees and Parks around giving it protection from wind.
9) Its only 30 min from my house!

I know this is a little biased but I cant help but brag about them a little.
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-09-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
What would you all add to your favorites
and how far would you travel to get there.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
I live about 45 minutes from OWC and held an annual pass there for nearly 10 years. I would travel further for an occasional visit. But not much more as a regular. However, I live on a lake and have a boat.
Old    wakejjboard12            09-09-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I drive 8 hours 5 or so times a year, but that SUCKS. I would go a few times a month if there were one ~2 hours away.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-09-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
I traveled 32+ hours to get to CWC, and I am going to do it all over again!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
Bli-bli australia. Love that cable. Super fun rails you can get creative on. Bar/lounge. Good eats. What more could you want.

And I always get excited when I'm going to McCormicks. Its a real wakeboarders cable. Everyone is super chill, it never gets rough, Trex!, fun rails. and its fun turning right for once.

Thorpe park in England is great aswell. It's been a while since I've ridden there but they had the best kickers and creative rails. The only problem is dealing with the kneeboarders but thats no biggy.

Dieing to go to CWC, those winch parks simply look amazing!
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-10-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
The one that is closest
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-10-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
What would you add to a cable park. Like other activities trampolines, ziplines, pool, and so on.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Flowrider would be cool.

Infinity Pool and Hot Tub.
Old     (serjoint)      Join Date: May 2008       09-10-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
do you know Hipnotics?¿

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97i0kl5dtHw

i went with a bunch of friends from Spain o may this year!! we were alone one the cable,. just for us

short cable,. with island,. a a bunch of obstacles!!!

and way closer from spain, than CWC
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-14-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
What are your favorite type of Rails Slidders Kickers
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-16-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
What kind of eats would you like to see and is a bar a plus.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Food: Simple bar food burgers, chix sandwiches, deep fried crap.... something easy to make and smells really good to people around.

Best Rails:
Rooftops fun fun fun
1+ box for a easy learning hit
A small and large kicker for heel and toeside would be ideal - 4 total, but thats a lot.
Wall rides are super fun and easy
a nice loooooooong flatbar
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
A kink on the end of the flatbar so you can throw a spin or invert.
Old     (ritz)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-16-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
Yeah Dickey, Ill agree with you and say mccormics, best handles no but all the peeps are chill there and its just got a way better vibe than Odub. Its soul riding ha, no big lines, and its CLOCKWISE!!! hell year for regular footers! and closest...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Did the vibe go downhill at Odub over the last year or so? Because in the 9 years I regularly went there one of the best things about the place was how cool the people were.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
This is still going, I thought the question was answered. It's CWC.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-19-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
KC Watersport Cable Park!