Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       07-20-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Can you guys tell me if i should be able to jump the wake now? I don't go out that much, normally just 2 weekends every month during the summer, but I've been riding for a few seasons now. I don't have a nice board or boat, i ride behind a 1986 MC skier with no tower or ballast and a crappy gladiator board that doesn't even have molded in fins. i have a low stretch accurate poly e line that i actually just got, with a reign handle. huuuuge improvement over the old ski rope. given all that, should i be able to jump the wake now, or do i just suck?
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
way back in '97 I think it was my second time riding that I started clearing the wake. Of course I used to ski everyday. That part was just natural for me. I think it depends on each individual. I would say that after 5-10 sets most of my buddies were able to clear the wake.

(Message edited by whirli_7 on July 20, 2007)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Do you know if the driver is pulling at the right speed for your line length?

Are you not jumping, or just not clearing the wake?
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       07-20-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
I ride at like 65 feet and my dad pulls me at a little under 20 mph. and yeah, I'm jumping like 2 feet in the air to the middle of the wake, but thats all.
Old     (blaketheho)      Join Date: May 2007       07-20-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
you might want to ride a bit faster, maybe 21 or so. Also, read about progressive edge in the tutorials. It sounds like you are prob not bringing a whole lot of speed into the wake. It would be possible to clear that wake with only 2 feet of air if you're cutting fast enough.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Ive never ridden behind a boat with no tower but my friend did for two years with an I/O and could never clear the wake and they finally got a wakeboard boat and he was clearing it his second or third time out, for one get a nice namebrand board with a lot of pop if you have a small wake and invest like 300 dollars in an extended pylon. I still can't clear the wake behind my girlfriends DD tige with a tower but I can clear the wake behind a 24 foot $70000 malibu because the wake basically does all the work for you. One thing just relax and have fun with it, it might be really hard to clear the wake on your boat so just enjoy what you can. O and one more thing, you should definately be riding around 21.5 to 22.5, its seems weird at first but its easier after you get used to it, and just make sure you have a progressive aggressive edge and hold it all the way through the wake
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Brad, you don't suck. I had a friend that faced the same dilemna. He could not figure out why he could jump but not clear the wake. I just kept telling him to take a sharper cut into the wake. When he would say he was taking a sharp cut, I would just tell him to take a sharper cut -- to try and make a 90 degree turn into the wake. YOu don't really need to make that sharp of a turn, but if you try to it will force you to take a more progressive turn than you had been previously.

Finally my friend was able to clear the wake and afterward he acknowledged that it was clearly because he wasn't edging sharply enough to wake. Just keep working on taking a more progressive edge into the wake and you will clear it.

(Message edited by hbguy on July 20, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
yes you should be clearing the wake.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
By the way, that was behind a bayliner. You can clear the wake no problem regardless of having no tower or the type of boat. It just takes better edging.
Old    K.B.C.            07-20-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
"Ive never ridden behind a boat with no tower but my friend did for two years with an I/O and could never clear the wake and they finally got a wakeboard boat and he was clearing it his second or third time out, for one get a nice namebrand board with a lot of pop if you have a small wake and invest like 300 dollars in an extended pylon. I still can't clear the wake behind my girlfriends DD tige with a tower but I can clear the wake behind a 24 foot $70000 malibu because the wake basically does all the work for you. One thing just relax and have fun with it, it might be really hard to clear the wake on your boat so just enjoy what you can. O and one more thing, you should definately be riding around 21.5 to 22.5, its seems weird at first but its easier after you get used to it, and just make sure you have a progressive aggressive edge and hold it all the way through the wake"

ummmmm, no. you should be able to clear the wake behind any boat with good technique. tower, ballast, etc help, but to go wake to wake are not at all necessary. you don't need a $70k boat to be good at wakeboarding, that is ignorant. Pros were killing it way back in the day with no pylons, old style boards, etc. Pick up "the Book". It will help you much more than a boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Just go for it and hold your edge to the wake harder. Keep cutting your board on edge all the way through the wake.

Also shorten the rope until you can clear the wake and then start lengthening as you get better. I put my kids on a 55 foot line at 19.5MPH to start clearing the wake. Better to be clearing it on a short line than landing short on a longer line. I have kids about your age and it took them about 3 to 6 outings to start clearing it. We all learned on similar equipment.

(Message edited by bmartin on July 20, 2007)
Old     (flyingdutchman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
he i just started last season and we have a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) with a 50hp outboard (yeah i'm from europe). a ski rope (wich stretchs) and i just learned to jump the wake. what i found was that last year I wasn't able to clear the wake because my dad pulled me to slow.
so speed up a little and cut in a little harder you should be able to go all the way keep trying you'll get it
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-20-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
really try and hold your edge all the way through the wake
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-20-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
really try and hold your edge all the way through the wake
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
ummmmm, no. you should be able to clear the wake behind any boat with good technique. tower, ballast, etc help, but to go wake to wake are not at all necessary. you don't need a $70k boat to be good at wakeboarding, that is ignorant. Pros were killing it way back in the day with no pylons, old style boards, etc. Pick up "the Book". It will help you much more than a boat.

Yeah sure I didnt say it was impossible or did i say you NEED a seventy thousand dollar boat (even though its the coolest damn boat ive ever ridden behind), but considering a pylon is cheap and it makes it easier why not, I can tell you from experience shorter wakes a much harder for me to clear and the malibu with 2700 pounds of lead and ballast with the wedge making a 2 1/2 foot wake is very easy to clear, and why not get a better board I used to ride 143 with a huge middle fin and i sucked and then i got a 136 took out the middle fin and the difference was night and day, and pros may have been killing it back in the day but hey there pros, most of them grew up on lakes doing that crap every day, and I have a wakeboard/snowboard video from like 1994 and those guys were good for there time and badass for the boats and boards they used but they didnt compare to half the people that I see every weeked at the lake
Old     (donkeypunch)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-20-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
If you can't clear the wake behind a boat with no tower and no ballast IMO you have no business riding behind a boat with a ton of weight!!! And as far as boards go while a new board might make it more fun it's not going to help you go wake to wake..Learn how to edge and build line tension properly..If you get that down you can go wake to wake on practically a 2x4..

(Message edited by donkeypunch on July 20, 2007)
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Damn everyones all over my crap lol. Ill admit its pretty weird that I can do more stuff behind a boat with a huge wake but Ive been taking clinics with a semi pro, hes pretty damn good if you ask me he can do huge s bends, whirly 540s, tantrums to blind, 720s, and hes the one who owns the malibu and he is the one who told me its so much safer to jump a bigger wake and so I have so much more confindence the bigger the wake, I jump the wake a little differently than most everyone else does though I come in with a little less edge and a lot more pop because it feels more natural to me
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
no one sucks, have you been trying to cross the wake every time you ride? because if you don't try to do something, you won't get it done.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
I think everyone who is just learning should have to stay behind a waverunner and learn proper edging, switch riding, and surface spins before you ever even get behind a boat with any kind of wake. People who dont have proper edging technique and ride behind slammed boats are generally the ones that get hurt because they haven't progressed enough to be going "huge". Plenty of tricks; Rolls, 3's, etc...can be thrown in the flats without any wake at all...in other words, you don't need a wakeboard boat to wakeboard.

Buy the first couple DVD's of "The Book" and REALLY learn how to edge progressively and ride switch consistently. Then move on to inside out jumps, one wake jumps, and finally w2w. Don't give up on it. Asking questions on WW can really be helpful in your progression if you can sift through some of the B*llsh*t people post on here :-)
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
yeah brad dont listen to me cuz apparently im a dumbass, but the one piece of advice I tried to help out with that i know cant be wrong is having fun, I may not know the basics, doomed for injury, not good enough for a big wake, and a total dumbass but I sure as hell have a good time and thats good enough for me :-)
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
I ride behind my boat which has a small to medium size wake. I can go wake to wake easily using the standard ski pylon. My boat is good for learning the correct techniques, riding switch and surface tricks. When I get the rare chance to ride behind an X-2 or SAN, I am able to get so high it's scary, all because I am learning the proper way to get air riding a small wake.