Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-13-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
What are people typically paying you these days for a pull or what are you paying for a pull in someone else's boat? We are currently paying/receiving $20 a person.

What if someone is just tagging along and not riding, would you want money from them too?

Just curious.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-13-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
if someone isn't riding than I usually don't expect money if theres room. $20 a person depending on the amount of people sounds about right for a day of riding. Thats what I chip in and usually what I get also.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-13-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
I never ask for money if they are just going along for the ride - I consider those rider to be self moving fat sacks.

Most time for my crew $20 works out pretty good. If your time is short and you only get one pull then $20 is probably too much.

For my regular crew I try to brake even, if I end up paying for gas I let them know I'm coming up short, they're very good about helping with the gas.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
I normally pay/recieve the same. Close to $20/day per person, sometimes more / sometimes less. we switch boats regulary, I think the same $20 bills floated around all summer.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-13-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
i don't know anyone who verbally asks for money on their boat. if i invite people out on my boat, i don't expect a dime. depending on how well i know the person, i'll even return money if they try to sneak me some. on the other hand, if my friends are asking me to take them out (not me inviting them), i still don't ask for any money directly, but i make it known how a little gas money would be appreciated. most of the time, people are pretty generous, but if i still don't get any gas money, i don't make a big deal out of it. however, it may affect who i invite or let on my boat next time around . and i NEVER accept money from passengers. the more the merrier. what's better than human ballast--especially of the opposite sex--that doesn't ride and only wants to hang out and tan
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-13-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
We usually take turns on our boats, so it is a wash, but if someone is continually bumming sets, then a little moolah is expected. I like the suggestive but not pushy prompts, like my t-shirt that says "my boat runs on gas, not thanks" Keep one in the boat, just in case you get some cheap skate riders, throw the t-shirt on and they'll cough up something...maybe a hairball, but something.
Old    mendo247            02-13-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
i will never ask for gas money, luckily i ride with a great group of people who always chip in when the day is over, weve talked about this before and we figure its about $10 a pull for anyone who can take a average set
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-13-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
"My boat runs on gas, not thank you's"

Gary (Sangerv215guy) has that sticker on the back of his boat. Hard to miss it as you are getting out of the water. I love it!

We have a "Fuel Fund" jar sitting in one of the drink holders. A small reminder to help out with expenses.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-13-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
i charge $10 per person, unless they are really hot girls :-)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I usually don't ask for money but I'll accept it if offered. Since I live in a "2 is ok with a ski mirror" location, there are ususally only 2 or 3 of us riding anyways. 2 of us are out there 90% of the time. The 3rd is out there about 50% of the time and various other riders are out there maybe 10% of the time. I've only had more than 4 on board once last season and once the season before that (didn't own a boat before that). As long as I don't feel anyone is cutting into my riding time, I don't feel the need to ask for money since I'd probably drive around a bit in my time between pulls anyways. I do make it clear though that I ride at my discretion regardless of turn (an option I seldom exercise) and someone else is always the guinea pig for questionable waters (an option I always exercise).
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Fill up the boat on the way to the launch site and have them stop with you.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
^^
I like that idea. If they are with you when you fill the boat up they at least know how much you are spending and if they have much courtesy they will chip in a little. If they cant take a hint then you either have to ask them, let em ride for free, or dont invite them back.
All of the people I ride with are great friends and I have found it awkward to ask for money as I usually invite them and enjoy them coming along.
People just dont understand how much it costs to have a boat and put gas in it and maintain it. So sometimes they need reminded.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-13-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yup, I always try and fill up on the way to the pump. I also try to get everyone in my car so we save on the gas for the tow vehicle.

One thing we did last memorial day that worked out perfect was to fill up before and after the weekend along with once or twice during. That way everyone knew exactly how much gas was used: all the tanks to re-fill and the final balance in the tank at the end.

A lot of people who dont have a boat think that "there is no way you went through 50 gallons of gas in a day!" Filling up before and after proves to them how much gas the boat sucks. Then if they are still cheap it's all in the air and you can either deal with it or not.

I just purchased my first boat at 23 yrs old (a 2000 vlx wakesetter) and am saving for my first home; so money is tight. Yet I ALWAYS offer gas cash to anyone I get a pull from. I usually carry a 20 for an afternoon and let them decide what the cost was. I carry 60+ for a full day at the delta, and pay what ever is decided upon. Everyone I have ever ridden with and given money to seemed like a fair and equitable trade. I tend to give a little more than just gas cash, or spring for lunch for them since we are using their boat. Its funny how tight some people can be.

IMHO little things like bringing snacks/ drinks to share or buying them dinner (taco bell or whatever) on the drive home is such a huge bang for the buck deal. I had met a new guy who had paid for gas, then we stopped at taco bell and he said, dude you towed both ways, let me grab dinner. That thoroughly impressed me and needless to say, if he ever wanted a tug, no problem, regardless of space in the boat.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-13-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
You're scarin' me Renee. This thread reminds me of someone who was asking for opinions on wether they should allow thier friends to drink on thier boat... insecure and bossy all at the same time!
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
I hate asking for money, although I don't turn it down. I ask for gas from those who ride who don't have a boat. For friends with boats, we just rotate boats and don't reimburse each other for anything. For repeat offenders, just don't invite them back. Putting people on the spot can really take the fun out of the day, and fun is what it's all about. This is coming from a public school teacher without a lot of disposable income, but life's too short to be a tightwad. Spread the fun!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
Hugh,

Nope just curious as to the going rate these days. When we first bought the boat 2 years ago, we figured it cost $10 per person per day. Of course that was gas only, not counting all the other expenses of owning a boat. These days, people are giving us $20.

And for the record, we never ask for money. If its given GREAT, if not oh well. We usually get it in return in other ways (dinner, lunch etc...)
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
ASS, GAS or CASH...nobody rides for free ;) I also dont ask , if they offer great ... if they dont, I also remember that ;) we also usually drag a wave runners, 20$ +- ea / day is fair. If I ride behind other boats ALWAYS kick in . Got a buddy w/ a 40 ' Hallet, when i go out w/ him, ill pop ..till the gas card max's out 100$ next ... we will put in 3-400$$ for the day ( ouch ) karma will make it rite in the end ;)
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
I've never taken any $$ from people on my boat.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       02-14-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
I always give at least $20, even if I only take one short pull. Other than that, I'll adjust up a little more depending on a few factors (# pulls, # others chipping in, etc..). I've gone as high as $40 for a whole day of riding with a small crew + wakesurfing, there's no reason to give any less than $20 IMO.

-Steve
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-15-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
"ASS, GAS or CASH...nobody rides for free"

I think I'll be quoting you this summer.

Last year it was the "Boat dont run on thankyou's"

Thanks bob