Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (sidewayz)      Join Date: May 2006       02-07-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Pro shop or internet?

How many of you out there would buy online to save a few bucks instead of going to your local shop? Just wondering what the general opinion on this matter is.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
I would rather pay a few extra bucks and go to my local pro shop.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-07-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
MY PRO SHOP FOR SURE, oh wait MY PRO SHOP, The House Boardshop is already a discount online dealer as well as a pro shop. Its the best of both worlds. Check them out at www.the-house.com
while your there check out the Team Page!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-07-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
A pro shop if I had one nearby with things to demo, I have to order online and I use The House and wakeside.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
support your pro shop and they'll support you...hopefully. The computer you place your order with could care less if you come back.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Andy, same with Boarders Paradise here in Sac area.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-07-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
I have never had a problem with customer service with the online shops I have purchased from.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-07-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for supporting The House Dan.

Ron,

Boarders Paradise is great!
Old     (dmonte3283)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-07-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
Go to your local pro shop when available. Purchasing products from online retailers may save you a lil bit of money (and we could all use some extra cash for gas money, and a tasty after ride beverage) But when you consistently visit and develop a relationship with your shop, they will be more likely to help you out when you need it. Demos, deals and a GREAT place to just chill, that is what you get with your friends at the local board shop.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-07-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
I like the shops that are also online vendors. So-Cal Watersports in Murrieta/ www.gotriver.com they are the bestest in the westest! Josh is the man.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-07-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Local pro shop. Most of the time I would think your local shop would match internet deals.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-07-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Local pro shop all the way.
Now I do like the online places but when I had 02 Byerly bindings I was at my local shop every 6 weeks for new over lays.All ways in/out in less than five minuts. They even gave me a few extra sets when they discontinued that model, one time a proshop guy deliver me a set to the lake. That was my first setup thatI bought from them.
Old     (scottyr7)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
I get the best of both worlds. I am about a 15 minute drive from Ambush who runs buywake.com. So I get to order online and still get the support of an actual person.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
Bilieve you or not, but we dont have no one pro wakeboardshop! So, i used U.S. online boardshops.
/Thanks guys from Boardstop.com/
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-08-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Local shop, I was looking at boards and the owner said to buy a particular board that he thought would work good for me, I told him I couldn't afford that, he knocked $50 off and fixed my binding a few weeks later for free. Now they've got my business whenever I need soemthing.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-08-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
In Maryland, our proshops generally lack current merchandise, real experience, and fair prices.

On-line all the way. But I do get to Performance in Orlando at least 3 times a year as well. I have bought a ton of stuff from them too. Get excellent service when I am in the shop or need to exchange stuff.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-08-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Southern California Watersports in Murrieta.
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-08-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Give Jim at Acme Props a call. He will go through what you will need and then let you know the closest place to pick it up. His number is 1.888.661.2263.

If you have a pro shop near you always give them a look first. The local shops will get the LF slide show and bus tours rolling through your town. If you don't support them you won't get to see the demos and rail jams. If you don't have that kind of shop, buy online. Online is not about saving money. In the past I have received better deals in shops than at an online store. Online stores are about having a current/vast selection of product and most importantly, Awesome Service. Most small shops can't afford to stock everything. The larger specialty online shops can.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
monte summed it up perfectly. A good relationship with your local board shop is priceless. When your in a pinch, they will take care of you. Of coarse it helps when you buy something once a month.

The fellas down at Boarders Paradise have always taken excellent care of me. Good guys, straight shooters and all around cool.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
"The computer you place your order with could care less if you come back."

You are aware that when you buy online, you are buying from a store typically run by humans, not scary robot monsters? Customer retention is something every good retailer online or not should focus on.

I've seen some online retailers go just as much out of their way to help you out as their brick and mortar counterparts. Then again, I've seen some brick and mortar stores that just plain stink. Around here "pro shops" are really just the wakeboard section of the local marinas selling boats. Sure, you can get a killer deal on equipment and a salesman to go the extra mile for you if you buy a boat from them. If not, you can scram for all they care. Until that changes, I'll gladly buy wherever is cheaper (and that's not always online).
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-08-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Josh in cali is the man, does so much for the sport!! but in Arizona we Have the BOARD SHACK they are also a online dealer..http://www.theboardshack.com/ I think Troy is alot like Josh really cares about the sport and likes to help promote it... Check out the team......
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-08-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dante,
I don't know what kind of "pro shop" you have in your area, but you describe a totally different experience from what I see in my area. I have bought a few boards from my local board shop (without having any intention whatsoever of buying a boat from them) and received excellent service and a great price. I never once felt like they were trying to make me "scram" because I had no interest in buying a boat. I think it all depends on each individual's preference and past experiences.
I would personally rather have that "face to face" interaction with someone helping me so I would much rather prefer to go to my local board shop (even if I do have to spend a few bucks more which is usually NOT the case). I enjoy getting to know people and I think it's nice to go to my local board where I feel like they know me.

(Message edited by raketball on February 08, 2007)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
"You are aware that when you buy online, you are buying from a store typically run by humans, not scary robot monsters? Customer retention is something every good retailer online or not should focus on. "

Hahaha...I'm not a techno-phobe. I know how it works.

The people in the shops see my loyalty when I walk through the door constently, and it pays off when I slap the product up on the register. I'm sure a lot of online shops take care of there customers, but I'm still not getting a discount when I add the product to my shopping cart.

There's no substitute for face-to-face relationships.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-08-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
support your local shop....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-08-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
"There's no substitute for face-to-face relationships."
-i'll agree with that.

ironically, I have a better relationship with someone 1500 miles away than down the street. it comes down to whats available to you and how they take care of you. for those of us that don't have a good shop (believe me i wish i had one) the online guys have been a huge help.
Old    sealyon.net            02-08-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
We own a board shop and like mentioned above most shops will match a price for you.We are only $20 above on-line price in the shop anyway.I would be more likely to help out on a problem with someone I sold to than someone I don't know or have never seen before.
Old     (wakeecuador)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Local Pro Shop!!!
Old     (sidewayz)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Alot of good input here everyone! As you can probably tell I own a Pro Shop as well... Just wanted to see what people were thinking. Thanks Everyone!

P.S. If you have a local shop, It's worth giving them a shot. I for one match prices whenever I can. Most shops would rather gain a customer than a couple of dollars!
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-08-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Pro shop, its way easier to deal with warranty issues. From my experience a good pro-shop will allow you to demo, give you decent deals on packages, and if the product has a flaw they do their best to take care of the problem.