Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    aXtion            03-15-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
I am looking to purchase a boat for an organization I am starting to help out troubled youth's. We were looking for a Malibu however it seems those are outside of our price range. We found a 2010 Axis A22 which is still outside of our price range but still decent for all the features. I was wondering if any of you had opinions on the Axis A22.

The sales guy said that Axis is a sister company of Malibu? I would assume they are since this boat has the manual wedge which Malibu patented. How do you like the wake that the A22 creates? Will 330hp be enough? How is the Axis warranty? Are the Axis A22's decent price for what features they have?

Here is a link to the pictures of the boat.

http://www.actionwatersportsaz.com/c...ype=N&picpos=0

As this would be the first boat we have owned we want to do it right. We would like to have a decent wake as we will be working with youth's to give them something to strive for in keeping them off the streets.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-15-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
The A22 is an awesome boat. We bought the boat based on three key features of the AXIS.
- The wake - is very scalable for many levels of riders.
- The handling - the boat handles very well (tracking and in chop)
- The space - its huge inside - especially with the bow

I am not sure if there is another boat in its price range that can compete on the three features above. We have kids in ours all the time so interior bling was not an issue. The AXIS interior is pretty simple but comfortable.

We have the Hammerhead 383 in ours (I think AXIS calls it raptor 400)... total over kill. The smaller indmar, plus the ACME 1235 will be perfect for a weighted down A22.

Not sure how the warranty is. Haven't had to deal with them yet.

The service from AXIS and our dealer has been great
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-15-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Vandall edition for Troubled youths lol...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
If you don't go with the Vandall signature boat you can probably get one a little closer to your price range. I know that's in the 50+k range, and you should be able to pick up an axis for around 45k.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-15-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
The Axis A22 is an awesome boat. For what you are using it for it should be perfect. The internal layout and fiberglass make for easy cleanup. Like cjh1669 stated, if you look for a non-pro model version you are going to get some of the same features at a lower price. With that said the Vandall does look great.
Old    aXtion            03-15-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback.

Paul: Ironic huh?

Elc: So the engine it comes with should be fine for a boat full of teens?

Is there any downside from having the manual wedge on the Axis compared to the power wedge on the Malibu's?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Ed is exactly right. We came from an I/O and wanted a wake boat that was within our price range that didnt sacrifice comforts, features and most importantly, wake.
The wake is really nice on the A22. The integrated 3,175 really produces a clean wake without wash. When we demoed one, my gf was driving, ballast full and I was riding, I couldnt pull it from side to side, thanks to the gorilla fin and the wake wasnt washed on either side even 15ft behind me.
The seating is huge. The front is the pickle fork and it can seat 4 adults pretty comfortably. The features arent really lacking for sure. I couldnt think of what this one didnt have that others do. I came up with a built in cooler, and a heated drivers seat. Pretty much everything else could be ordered. It doesnt have a fancy GPS tracking system but its not anything I really want on there anyways. The gauge layout is simple and performs many functions. It tells, engine voltage, fuel, water temp, air temp, oil psi...it is a multi information center.
The OB area is quite large as well. I have had some friends comment its a bigger compartment area than their boat. The biggest thing the vandall package is compared to one with everything but the graphics is....well the graphics. What they do with the vandall package is put all the features in and put it at a lower price than if you were getting one custom built. But if you want to remove options off a Vandall edition, you cannot. We opted to just get a custom ordered tricked out color without tower speaker and I wanted my speaker holes pre-drilled. I put a wetsounds setup in mine and ordered everything like I wanted.
Axis is a sister company of Malibu and they are made in the same production line as Malibu. When you go down the line and look you will see a malibu and an axis both being built beside eachother. These guys dont skimp either. The quality is what you would expect with malibu and they take alot of pride in their work.
If you get the 335hp engine, I would suggest getting the High Altitude prop. It will let you throw more weight and still have the giddy up and go. We have the 335 and I thought it performed really well in the one we demoed. We havent even cranked ours yet due to winter still lurking around. I'm excited when we do.
We loaded it up with the LED package as well for a little bling and I like that its already done and their is lighting in all the storage areas as well for night retreats. The docking lights on the boat will come in handy and the trailer runway lights are a really awesome idea. We have the 18s on our trailer and it pulls like a dream. It is very solid pulling and was well built.
We are another set of happy Axis owners and I am really impressed with their build and quality.
Their customer service has been great too. I was able to be in contact with the dealer through the whole build and the people at Axis were great to deal with too. Everybody was willing to help and they all still are after the sale. I have nothing but good things to say about them.