Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-08-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I am planning on making a day trip to Powell tomorrow. The mornings have been in the teens to mid 20's and my boat is not winterized. Do you think I will be alright to tow for 3 1/2 hours in temps like this? Any advise would help, thanks.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-08-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
48 hours of below freezing weather will freeze/crack the block. 24hrs or less and you should be OK

Leave a space heater in the boat for an hour or 2 before and you are good for the trip. Probably don't even need the space heater at all, but a bit safer.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-08-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Cool, I will leave my hatch open and turn my garage heater up tonight. Thanks Joe
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-08-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Dan, the venting for the bilge and engine are going to be blasting cold air all around the block and through the boat. Drain the water out of the engine just as you would when winterizing. It doesn't take long.
When you're stationary the boat venting doesn't let that much heat transfer so the engine compartment takes longer to cool.
BTW I cracked a block on a car that was out of the garage for 4 hours when I was young.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Be safe & drain it. It's 30 minutes or an hour & will have a MUCH higher chance of making it safely. If you don't, it could spoil your vacation, not to mention the long term expense.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-10-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I took your advise and drained the boat, great day of glass. Air temp was 44 and water temp was 50. I ended up going to a closer lake. Hopefully I get one more riding in this week.

Upload
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-11-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Dan
Whats up man. Just curious, what lake is that? It doesn't look familiar. Is that Kenny Res. near Rangely?

(Message edited by ryand121 on November 11, 2008)
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-11-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Actually, Dan, after looking at the pic again, I recognize the big white buoy, the lake in Debeque, right?
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan, yeah its Debeque. That day got pretty cold but who cares. Tad and I are trying to get up there before the end of the week. Let me know if you can get out and go. I haven't said its over yet. Starting on Saturday, I will be working on the mountain for the next couple of months so this is my last week. Sucks.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-12-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
I'm actually headed to Rangely for work, so I probably won't be able to make it. We will have to make a Powell trip next summer. I just got a WakeKite and I'm pretty anxious to use it. Anyways, take care man. I'll pm you my number. later