Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-20-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
I need some help guys. These are the two that I am debating. I know a lot of folks on here rave about the Transcend but the 146 Marek has me very interested. I'm 6'7 250 so the extra size sure wouldn't hurt. I have a chance to demo a 141 Marek in town but not a 146 and I'm not able to demo the Transcend either. Who out there has ridden both and can comment on the differences? FYI, I'm coming from an old Parks board that is just too inconsistant. I love the kick but progressing on that board has been a pain. Looking for something with a lot of pop but controlled and more consistant. Thanks!!!
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-21-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
I am in the same situation. Iam looking at those two boards. I just wish CWB would be a little smarter and produce a larger transcend like a 146. Really interested what people have to say on this.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
There's just not enough market for big guys buying pro model boards to make the extra size. It's costly. I wish they could make something for everyone, but it just doesn't always make sense for the board companies. You're lucky that a big guy like Rusty has blessed you with a big pro model.

I'm total CWB guy, and one of the Transcend lovers you mentioned, but at 6'7" and 250, I would suggest you buy the bigger of the two boards. It's going to take strain off of your body I think.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hey Adam,

CWB is making the 2009 Kink in a 146. The shape is a retired (either 2003 or 2004) Absolute mold. I rode this shape for 3 years before the Transcend came along. Still one of my favorites. It will also be considerably cheaper that a new pro model.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-21-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
I can only comment on the Marek because that is what i have and this is coming from the Ronix One. The first thing i noticed was the board was much more loose to begin with however when on edge and i have never had a board lock in like this. As far as pop goes it is the most insane that i have ridden. Just the first wake to wake jump threw me about 3 feet more into the flats compared to what i am used to. I think with the combination of the aggressive edge and pop it is hands down the best board i have ridden.
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
i used to ride nothing but CWB and i just picked up a Marek this year i ride the 141 marek and it blows CWB's Platinum boards out of the water. The Marek is lighter and faster with much more pop. Get the Marek you'll never be happier however in rough water riding both boards have a very hard time getting any tracking
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-21-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
J-Rod are you sure the new Kink is an older absolute shape?
I thought that the 09 Kink was a brand new shape, with adjustable fins and no center fin, looks like the Pure is now the 08 Kink shape/older Absolute shape.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-21-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, especially Steven, I haven't heard many people comment on Rusty's new board so that is helpful. I'm leaning towards the Marek and will hopefully demo the 141 this weekend. It'll at least give me an idea of how the shape works for me.

J-Rod, good point about taking the strain off my big a$$ frame. I hadn't really thought about it from that angle but since I'd like to be wakeboarding for the next 15-20 years, I'll definately keep that in mind. I know I definately can't go wrong with either board. The Kink is interesting at 146. If I decide to wait until Spring I'll definately check that out.

I'm definately not concerned with tracking, I prefer a very loose board that will hold when on edge. I'm also blessed to not have to worry about rough water, we normally have glassy conditions each time out :-D
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
Jeff, now that you question it, no, I'm not. In past years, the kink and pure were both old Absolute shapes, but I'm not so sure now. I better get my facts straight.

No worries Adam. The Kink will likely be available in another couple of months. We usually sell the new models at the January boat show, so you won't have to wait until Spring.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
clearly i was wrong on the Kink eh? :-)

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/617085.html?1219340988
Old     (oaktree)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Adam, You will be very happy with the Marek especially if you like a loose board. I'm about the same size as you (6'6, 260 lbs) and have the Marek 146. It does throw you pretty good. I also have the Monarch 56" and prefer to ride it over the Marek except when the water is a little rougher.