Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-30-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
So in November I bought a boat off craigslist from a dealer. he bought it from the auction after the repo. It was pretty cheap considering the year so we jumped on it. At the time of purchase the dealer told me the title co. had lost the trailer title and they were getting another one and i should have both titles in a few weeks.

well here we are in April, the title for the trailer has still not shown up at the auction house, or at my house for that matter, so i still cannot register my boat or trailer, and the kicker is that the reg. sticker on the boat is for 07, so i can't even take it out and use it.

I have called CA dmv a number of times and they say I can't do anything until i get the title transferred to me. What has to happen is the Auction needs to get both titles together to complete the sale, then they need to transfer title to the dealer I bought it from, who then needs to transfer the title to me.

Anyone out there who know CA law on selling stuff, what actions can i take other than bugging the auction people and the dealer I got it from and waiting for the third party to finish business??

As far as my understanding a dealer can't sell a vehicle/vessel w/o title. But on a repo'd vehicle this must come up from time to time. If only the bank hadn't lost the trailer title I'd be sittin pretty. This hassle is definitly not worth the couple grand we saved buying this boat, but i really like it and don't want to demand my money back, thus making me not have a boat anymore.

We have used the boat a few times and I always bring my bill of sale and copies of all paperwork i got on this deal just in case, but I'm afraid the delta is the only place I can take it because i don't have to drive by a Ranger to pay my fees and they call BS on the expired reg before I get in the water. I have a trip to Don pedro coming up but am afraid to take my boat and get denied at the gate. do the money takers check you reg???

Any help or advise or ideas are welcome

i'll pay a lawyer in free pulls all summer long on the dirty D if I can get this resolved before summer hits!!

Thanks
Scott