Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: Which Boat??
VLX 18 47.37%
LSV 17 44.74%
Get bent!?!?! 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
I'm going to upgrade my boat to a new tow boat, i've been looking at several manufacturers and have settled on Malibu, mainly becuse the dealer is located on my lake and the closest next dealer is one hour away. Having him local is a big deal to me.

I'm trying to decide between the VLX and the LSV, I will spend about 80% of the time wakeboarding and 20% surfing, I like the size of the LSV but wonder if the VLX has a better wakeboarding wake? As well, I was thinking of the base 350 engine in both of them, will the LSV need a bigger engine to push that weight, especially when i load it up? If I go with the LSV is a larger engine necessary? Usually about 5-6 people on the boat tops.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
My vote went to the LSV. My vote would almost always go to the bigger boat if you don't have things limiting the size boat like length restrictions, tow vehicle, garage size, etc... It is a guess but I think both boats produce similar size, shape and quality of wakes when waited similar. As for the 350 I bet it is fine in the LSV unless you are loading it up with an additional 3000 pounds of ballast and even then it might get it done with the right prop(cinco maybe?).

All that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either and the VLX should be plenty big for a 5-6 people, require a little less weight, burn a little less fuel and be easier to handle both on and off the trailer.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-08-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
If you are only going to ride 5-6 max the VLX has twice as much room as you will ever need. Size is nice but it comes at a cost. More to purchase, more fuel, you will need a bigger boat lift, etc.

VLX is more of the core wakeboarding boat. It will produce a better wake with less wake. LSV will take more weight to get the same effect as it's a bigger hull. Again burning more fuel. If cost isn't an option buy the one you like best.
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
The cost is not an issue, it's more of a performance questions, is the VLX a better boat than the LSV? it seem to be promoted that way. if there's not a big difference in wakes then i'll go for the LSV as it's larger and i like the space, more weight is not a problem, my concern was that the 350 motor may not be able to push the added boat weight and added ballast weight needed to make a good wake
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
If you like the room of the LSV, decide to go that way and plan on slamming it than I would opt for the bigger engine probably. On a slammed LSV or VLX I am guessing the 350 is a borderline engine.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2012, 4:29 PM Reply   
i personally like the vlx! its sickkk!!!

and im gonna be the guy that everyone hates here, but if your buying brand new, go for an MB.
Price point
PCM
Zero Off PP
1800 lbs of ballast in 30 seconds
awesome wake
great interior
no stupid lcd screens

If you are already set on malibu... id go with the vlx. the wake is awesome!
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
No MB dealers close by, the mastercraft and nautique dealers are far away, so i've settled on malibu, if i have a problem and have to drive 2 hours to get it fixed rather than just stopping by the marina on the lake it would drive me nuts, so malibu gets a big leg up
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-08-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
What about MXZ?
I have not heard many ppl complain about it.....
Or are you limited to stock on hand?
I would go VLX probably......

Wish I had to make that choice.....lol
good boats either way......
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
that is the question, the boats are the 2012 models, i've been thiking that maybe i should order a 2013 mxz with the surf gate, but i've not seen this boat in person
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-08-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maas View Post
The cost is not an issue, it's more of a performance questions, is the VLX a better boat than the LSV? it seem to be promoted that way. if there's not a big difference in wakes then i'll go for the LSV as it's larger and i like the space, more weight is not a problem, my concern was that the 350 motor may not be able to push the added boat weight and added ballast weight needed to make a good wake
You contradict yourself. If cost is no concern, why are you stuck with the 350 motor?

Obviously you are leaning towards LSV, right? So get one with an LS3 motor and everybody wins!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-08-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
There has never ever been a time where I regretted getting a larger boat. go LSV. Both wakes are world class.
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
i'm stuck with the 350 motor, as the boats are in stock and ready to go, if i order a 2013 then i can get what i want, but the great deals are on the 2012, my dillema is do I pay an extra 15k-20k for a 2013 with the motor i want and the surf gate. The price difference bewtween the 2012 vlx and lsv in stock is negligable, so in that way the money doenst' matter.

If i go with the deal on the 12, then the lsv i would prefer, as the bigger is better, but if they both have great wakes then that's awesome, if the 350 motor on the lsv will be a dog then that won't be a good option, i dont' want to buy the larger boat and then wish i hadnt' if i cant' push the weight
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2012, 6:54 PM Reply   
i do not reccomend the MXZ with the 350 engine...

VLX, with the 350 can make a monster wake

i only have one video of me and my bud on a vlx, wake is pretty large!
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-08-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
350 will be plenty for LSV if you are not at high elevation. I'm at 3500' elevation. I put at 15x12 Acme (2313 IIRC) on my 12 LSV with 350. With factory ballast and wedge performance is great. Only time I wish for bigger engine is when we put 1800# in addition to factory ballast (no wedge), plus 6-8 people in boat. The LSV with 350 needs lots of bow weight to plane with that kind of weight. I tried a couple of 5 blade props also. They didn't work as well as the 15x12 for me. We love our LSV, but you can't go wrong with either boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post

That was crazy move by you and your buddy.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2012, 10:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post

Nice double in front of Westcliff on Belton Lake JB. John has his VLX dialed and is huge.

Just to throw in a little something. Even though both VLX and LSV are world class wakes...aren't they slightly different from each other though? VLX being more lippy/steep and LSV being more ramp/transition?
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
That's one kick ass vid!!! wasnt' expecting that!!

So the VLX rocks the house and the LSV has the size, but loaded up i may have a proplem moving, wish they had put the bigger motor in the lsv then this would be easy
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
go to themalibucrew and search the forum. I am sure there is a lot of people with the LSV 23 that can give you first hand experience with the 350 motor and ballast.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2012, 10:33 PM Reply   
We've got the 05 LSV and absolutely love it. Father in law has 2010 LSV. We love the extra room. With 4 adults and 4 kids and all the gear that comes along I wouldnt have been happy with the size of the VLX. Space disappears quickly with kiddos running around. I typically run stock (1200 lbs) plus an additional 2500-3000 lbs and no wedge. We have the Monsoon 350 and with the stock prop (Acme 381) I could not get it on plane. If you are going to run that much extra weight you have to prop up, we use the Acme 1235. I lose a bit on the top end, but it has no issue getting on plane with any amount of weight I've thrown at it.

IMO, the wakes are very similar, LSV has a better surf wave, and the extra interior comfort is well worth going with the bigger boat. LSV all the way.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
LSV w/ a prop and you'll be jacked.
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-09-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Maas, I have a '10 with the 350 and for boarding with stock ballast the Acme 537 works great. If you are going to surf you will need to get the Acme 1235 or an equivilent as suggested. I am normally running stock ballast surf side with 1100lbs in a rear compartment and it works fine with the 1235. As stated you do loose top end, but I normally only run about 25 mph when cruising so I could care less. With a full fuel, 4 adults and associated boat b.s at 25 mph I am running at 3000 rpm with a max of about 41mph at almost 5200 rpm. The 1235 will be fine for boarding also, just at a higher rpm. If you anticipate enlarging the family or your friends you will be better off with the LSV, but either one will seve you well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Ask any Malibu team rider, and they'll tell you that the LSV throws the better wake. In the mid 2000's the VLX was the boat to have. The LSV wake is now more sought after.

The MXZ produces a better wake than both of them, and it's done with less weight. Here's our MXZ wake 800 over stock with 6 people at 23.8 and 75 feet.
Attached Images

Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-09-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
MXZ all the way!!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-09-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
I can't speak for the MXZ but the LSV is a great boat. I have the older hull (2005) and it definitely takes more weight to get a nice wake as compared to the VLX. That being said, and no matter how many people you have on the boat, the extra space is nice.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
All of the Wakesetters are going to produce an awesome wake. We had the LSV before running the MXZ and were very, very happy. Several pro riders commented that our LSV wake was the best they had ever ridden.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-09-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
As everyone here has mentioned, everything is larger with the LSV. To get a great Surf wake the LSV needs significantly more weight. Relative to the motor the monsoon is capable with the correct prop. Handling wise they're very similar. The LSV when fully weighted is more apt to chili dip then the VLX comparably waited. If you're interested in the room, don't even Think twice you'll kick yourself down the road
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
I haven't driven a VLX, but have driven and rode behind a VTX, LSV, and MXZ. Out of the three I like the LSV the best by quite a bit. With the LSV you get a ton of room, it drives near as well as the VTX, but better than the MXZ. You get a great wake that's super easy to tune, the MXZ wakeboard wake is better, but not by much. The surf wake blows away the MXZ, I found the MXZ hard to tune with surfgate and it had very little push comapred to many other bu wakes I've been on. The MXZ is also much louder and doesn't feel as plush inside as the LSV and VTX. It's due to the one piece construction to the deck vs the normal 2 piece on the other bu's. Also the lack of carpeted bases allows more engine noise to enter the boat. I'm sure the VLX is a great boat, but I can't speak to it. Another key thing is you can add more weight to the LSV for surfing than the MXZ.
Old     (Maas)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-10-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
thank you for the advice, looks like the lsv is the way to go!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-10-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
I love my VLX and we have 6 in our family. The boat easily handles us and we often bring a second family along. Never feels too cramped.

With that said, if my garage was 18" deeper, I'd have an LSV.